“Nice enough pub, bit tight on space”
Review of The Dolphin

The Dolphin
Ranked #144 of 214 Restaurants in Whitby
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This pub is nice enough. There was a sign saying they couldn't accommodate pushchairs - something to do with space so families beware. Only 2 staff serving at a busy period and we left before being served on first visit but was ok second time when it was quieter. Quite interesting building and was warm on a Feb night.

1  Thank Spence19
There are newer reviews for The Dolphin

Reviewed 14 January 2014

When we visit Whitby we like to go to the Dolphin for a drink.When possible we like to sit outside,as this is in a good location.The decor seems very dowdy inside ,but staff are friendly.We have had a few bar meals and they have all been nice and good value for money.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We were walking round whitby trying to find somewhere that did food that wouldnt cost us an arm and a leg and wasnt necessarily just fish and chips. Stumbled upon the dolphin which was lovely we found a table in a quiet area and it was lovely went up the the bar to order food and drink to be greeted warmly by the bar man with glasses on. He answered all our questions and had a conversation about beer glasses. Wasnt too keen on the bearded man that peered over our shoulder as we were ordering asking the bar man what table we were ordering for but that maybe how they deal with food orders. Returned to our table to find cuttlery there and the starters didnt take too long at all to arrive. They were lovely soon followed by the mains which were delivered by the bearded man. I had ordered extra gravy to come with my pie but was left a bit astounded when the bearded man just turned around and walked away as i asked for some ketchup. The meal was lovely though. The table next to us had a reserved sign which said reserved for musicians at 730. This table was quickly overrun by what im assuming were regulars, to which the bearded man didnt take too kindly and to be honest didnt handle the situation very well at all. We then went to pay for our meal to which we commended the bar man that had originally served us on the pubs choice in music (anything from a bit of metallica to david bowie). If I was to base my visit on the bearded gentleman i probably wouldnt return but the food the music the beer and the temperament of the bar man was its saving qualities.

Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

After returning from university with friends my parents highly recommended that we go to this establishment for great beer and a lovely atmosphere however needless to say this was not this case..

After arriving two of my friends got some drinks and whilst deciding on what to get for myself and my partner I was informed by a very rude and slightly aggressive landlord that it was not a youth club and if we did not buy drinks then we would be shown the door..

After 5 minutes I did not think this was acceptable or necessary..

If you are looking for a cosy place to have a drink with friends this is definitely not the place.

3  Thank Gc56
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We really enjoyed our meal here. The beef roast with so many vegetables and cottage pie with vegetables were very tasty. We were also given extra vegetables for me as a vegetarian. The service was very friendly and welcoming. It was delightful enjoying a meal overlooking the harbour.