“Go for the company”

Dining options: Drinks, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
Salmon Arm, Canada
“Go for the company”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My sister and I stopped in here for a pint in the early afternoon but ended up staying for a couple hours. Only the bartender (Sandy, if I remember correctly) and 2 other locals were in at that time but we had great fun drinking, watching them play wii golf, and talking about travel, work, and Whitby itself. It was great to just chat with some good ol' boys instead of avoiding creepy drunk guys.
The pub itself is plastered with Alan Lee's artwork, a picture of Tolkien, a map of Middle Earth, and a bunch of cheeky drinking signs above the bar. I was happy to buy my souvenir "Sod it! I'm going to Middle Earth Tavern!" t-shirt and Sandy gave a Hobgoblin shirt to my sister because that's what we were drinking. We exchanged hugs when we left and were bummed it couldn't be our local.
Will be our first pub stop if we ever get back.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Emily G

“Excellent dog friendly pub”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Is just finishing a complete refurbishment after flooding in dec.. Lovely harbour side setting, good selection of ale. Really lovely friendly staff, made me and my dog feel extremely welcome. After having read some of the bad reviews on here was completely surprised at how different my experience was ! Nothing bad at all to say! Will be definitely going back again.

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“Rubbish”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Never a good sign when real ale is served super chilled. Wouldn't bother going back again. There are far better pubs in Whitby with better atmospheres and better beers.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Blessedcurse
Manchester, United Kingdom
“How much?”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Thought that £6.50 was a bit steep for a pint of lager and a coke!!! Don't know if this was a mistake because even the barman looked confused but still charged that amount anyway...

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank bobosma
Crewe, United Kingdom
“What a weekend”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

If you are ever in the Whitby area first weekend in July then search out the Middle Earth, great beer (when it's not sold out), fantastic staff who put up with grumpy old men who want real ale! good music and a nice place to meet friends old & new. Worth a visit.

Visited July 2013