“Nice fish” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Nice fish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Went to this restaurant with my family. My first impressions were not good as you was squashed on the table. The waitress was on her own therefore service was slow. She had to check twice about what drinks we had ordered. When the meal eventually arrived it was delicious. Best fish i had in a long time. We wasn't offered any sauces and there wasn't even any pepper for my mums food. What sort of restaurant don't have pepper?

• Visited September 2013

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Reasonable meal but there are better places in Whitby”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was almost forced into eating here as myself and my son really wanted to return to the Magpie Cafe on our last day however the queues were enormous when we went, and with my son feeling incredibly hungry i made the decision to find somewhere quickly nearby, and the Harbour Fish Bar was where we went.

The layout and decor inside is akin to a 1990s school canteen or fast food place, not much in the way of charm. I was seated by a lady who didn't seem that happy to be there however she took our order quickly enough (less than 2 minutes from sitting down!) which was fine by me as I wanted it to be a quick meal.

I ordered the cod and chips with gravy and my son had a mini fish and chips, both of us had bread and butter. The portions certainly aren't that big, my fish was quite small and didn't get a great deal of chips. It's quite possible I have been spoiled by the portion sizes of some of the other eateries in Whitby, but i was definitely left underwhelmed.

Nobody came back to us to clear plates or check if we were ok, I ended up getting up and finding someone to ask for the bill, so I paid and left quite quickly.

Overall the food was actually reasonable albeit small portions, however the pricing wasn't that great and the atmosphere non-existent. I could understand why the place was one of the less busy cafes in the area.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Good value food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Excellent value for a good wholesome meal. Staff were extremely pleasant and attentive. Restaurant extremely clean and pleasant.

Visited August 2013
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Marathon not a sprint!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

If you visit this chip shop then I suggest you try the Fish Cake. Home made with parsley and lovely. The chips are well cooked and you get plenty. The drawback of this chip shop is the very slow service. There always seem to be a lot of staff milling about but only 1 or 2 serving even when people are queuing out on the street and into the road. I had to wait for a while (5 min) for nuggets for my daughter and a little, 'Sorry for the wait' would have been nice.
Idea of Prices: Fish cake, chips, peas £4.95
Fish, chips, peas £7.95
All in all - not bad food but service could speed up a little.

england
“Gorgeous fresh flaky fish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Over the last few weekends my family and I have visited most of the seaside resorts on the East coast from Bridlington up to Saltburn sampling the takeaway fish and chips in every resort. the ones we had here in Whitby were by far the best, FRESH not frozen fish which just melted in your mouth, delicious chunky chips. The queues were long so obviously a good sign.
The only negative is if you wanted Haddock then it was about £1.25 more which we were surprised as Haddock is mainly served in Yorkshire before Cod. Delicious.