“Great food and service”

Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Denby, United Kingdom
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We called in on New Years Day and had a brilliant meal. Between us we had scampi, small fish special and fish bites for the kids. The food was excellent - the portion of scampi was a good size, and the pot of tea was good too. The cafe was very clean, and we couldn't fault the service, our waitress was lovely (very patient with us). The toilets were lovely and clean too, a big plus! We all really enjoyed our food - thank you!

• Visited January 2014

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Good wholesome food”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

On principle I will NOT queue outside a restaurant for fish and chips- so the Magpie is out for a start!. My wife and I ate here and it was very tasty, well cooked, well presented,and a clean place, there wasn't any ' atmosphere', whatever that means, but this was a fish and chip restaurant, not a nightclub!,not too pricey but I just HATE being served stale bread, it is unforgivable and happens far too often,apart from that, very nice and staff pleasant and attentive, what more can you ask?.

• Visited November 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Nice fish”
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Went to this restaurant with my family. My first impressions were not good as you was squashed on the table. The waitress was on her own therefore service was slow. She had to check twice about what drinks we had ordered. When the meal eventually arrived it was delicious. Best fish i had in a long time. We wasn't offered any sauces and there wasn't even any pepper for my mums food. What sort of restaurant don't have pepper?

• Visited September 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Reasonable meal but there are better places in Whitby”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was almost forced into eating here as myself and my son really wanted to return to the Magpie Cafe on our last day however the queues were enormous when we went, and with my son feeling incredibly hungry i made the decision to find somewhere quickly nearby, and the Harbour Fish Bar was where we went.

The layout and decor inside is akin to a 1990s school canteen or fast food place, not much in the way of charm. I was seated by a lady who didn't seem that happy to be there however she took our order quickly enough (less than 2 minutes from sitting down!) which was fine by me as I wanted it to be a quick meal.

I ordered the cod and chips with gravy and my son had a mini fish and chips, both of us had bread and butter. The portions certainly aren't that big, my fish was quite small and didn't get a great deal of chips. It's quite possible I have been spoiled by the portion sizes of some of the other eateries in Whitby, but i was definitely left underwhelmed.

Nobody came back to us to clear plates or check if we were ok, I ended up getting up and finding someone to ask for the bill, so I paid and left quite quickly.

Overall the food was actually reasonable albeit small portions, however the pricing wasn't that great and the atmosphere non-existent. I could understand why the place was one of the less busy cafes in the area.

• Visited August 2013
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Good value food”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Excellent value for a good wholesome meal. Staff were extremely pleasant and attentive. Restaurant extremely clean and pleasant.

Visited August 2013