“Dreadful restaurant - beware!”
Review of Bagdale Hall Hotel

Bagdale Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 6 October 2009

One thing I wanted to do on my holiday to Whitby was to have Sunday lunch at Bagdale Hall and I was looking forward to it. What a disappointment. First of all we arrived at 1.30 to find that we were the only guests there and we were the first customers of the day. (Lunch finished at 2pm). We ordered a starter and the roast beef dinner.

Starters were ok. However, the roast beef was very dry, the roast potatoes did not resemble a proper roast potatoes and were hard. The vegetables were undercooked and hard, especially the broccoli. Even the gravy was thin and watery. It tasted as if it had all come out of the freezer, no wonder there wasn't anybody else in there. Sunday lunch, not the hardest thing in the world to cook but this was horrible.

I had to leave more than half my dinner it was that bad but even when I complained I was still charged full price. It cost £30 for me and my boyfriend to have a starter each, roast beef dinner and a drink. I don't mind paying if its good but when its rotten it is just not on.

For Sunday lunch you would be much better off going to Greens on Bridge Street or White Horse and Griffin on church Street.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SydneybeanManchester
There are newer reviews for Bagdale Hall Hotel

Reviewed 29 September 2009

After 7 years of staying at the Bagdale it saddens me that the choices on the breakfast menu have been drastically reduced. It began with the shrinking of the sausage to a far inferior specimen followed by a total massacre- Kedgeree gone, Kidney Turbigo gone, fresh mango gone and to top it all the previously magnificent Bagdale breakfast no longer has haggis. I wanted to bring this up with the chef in the evening but apparently he has been banned from the bar. Come on guys bring back the offal.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Location, location, location. Had a perfect weekend in Whitby that was made by the friendly atmosphere at Bagdale Hall. Would just like to thanks the friendly staff for doing some of my washing, I know that you did not have to do it! Thanks again I will be back with a group of friends!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We have been visiting Bagdale for two years now and its always an enjoyable experience! We have stayed in the lodge, which is basic accomodation, No 4 which is very nice and the hall itself which is our favorite! Much more than a room, a suite with olde worlde character and beautiful ornate fireplaces, along with four poster beds. The rooms have always been clean to a high standard and the bed made and room cleaned when we have stayed there for more than one night. Lovely friendly staff and nothing is too much for them, just ask!! The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere, again olde worlde and very cosy. You can have a leisurely drink in the very quaint bar before/after your meal (with log fire in winter months) or in the comfortable sitting area adjoining the restaurant. Food has alway been excellent and the breaksfast menu has so many choices you wont know where to start! Also very very tasty and nicely presented. Parking is very good and Bagdale has its own private parking area for residents. Just watch the seagulls!! Cant wait to go again.......

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2009

we have just reurned from a weekend in whitby staying at bagdale hall, everything was fine just a little bit tired. the beds were not made every day just the covers pulled back so we made it ourselves. the major complaint that i hope they will take note of is that when the kitchen staff have finished work at night they take over the bar, which to me is not good for customer relations as you do not want to here about there private life, also the chef who had quite alot of male chauvanist views about women which to me does not bare well when you are paying guests. saturday night was the worst night as they took over the whole bar and did not offer to move when residents came in to purchase drinks, so people walked out instead of buying a drink. i hope the management reads this and has words with them or maybe finds somewhere else for them to have their drinks.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Bagdale, Manager at Bagdale Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2009

Sorry to hear your stay was not as good as before and hope you do return to our hotel as we want to keep our high standards. Also disciplinary action has been taken and this will never happen again.

Reviewed 15 July 2009

Most of the trip-advisor visitors scored this highly, which is one reason why we booked the Bagdale for our three night stay.(The other was that none of the other hotels/b&bs we fancied had vacancies.)The staff were all incredibly friendly and helpful and so I wimped out of complaining directly - something I would normally do. The actual hall is attractive but the decor is dark and dated and the dining chairs need re-springing. We stayed in the Georgian annex which was okay, although the bathroom wasn't cleaned properly each day.The breakfasts were appalling - considering that Whitby is renowned for its fish, I was disaapointed that the kippers were so disgusting. No matter what options we tried, they were all awful. The evening menus were dated and unimaginitive, and given that Whitby has such a wide selection of good restaurants and that the breakfasts were poor, we didn't eat there in the evening. Their dinners may be okay but we just didn't want to chance it. Frankly, there are just too many better alternative and cheaper places to stay in Whitby - the problem is, as we found out, that these will not have vacancies at short notice which the Bagdale did. Definitely not worth the money compared to the competition. But as I say, the staff were wonderful so not all bad then!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Just returned from a weekend at Whitby stayed at Bagdale number four room 14. This is a georgian annexe next door but one to Bagdale hall. The room was at the back of the property overlooking the car park . Very comfortable very private and very quiet. £120 pounds a night for two including a very substantial breakfast. We ate in the restaurant on Friday night in Bagdale hall the food was excellent . The meal was slightly marred by a drunken woman shouting across the room where is my meal. If you are eating there you are seated in the lounge area while your order is taken and starter prepared then you are escorted to your seat. The whole dining experience is a long process stress free and relaxing as the food is prepared to order and the staff don't try to rush you out to make way for others. The staff are friendly and most helpful and I would certainly recommend this establishment to anyone staying in Whitby

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple