All reviewssky tvsea viewcricket groundhonesty barnorth promenadecomfy bedshower roomroom numbersea frontbig bathroomtoastfull english breakfasttown centreshort breakbreakfast was excellentlounge areacooked breakfast
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Second stay at the Wheeldale, same room No4, fantastic sea view,spotless,comfortable bed,huge bathroom, great breakfast.Reality check, o.k. parking can be a problem however despite Hotel being full & getting blocked in a couple of times, cars are usually moved around just after breakfast so that anybody needing to leave/go out for the day can. We can honestly say apart from that this hotel couldn't be faulted. Excellent stay many thanks.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ishywoods
PeterColeman, Owner at The Wheeldale, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Thanks for the very positive feedback,we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

My husband & I booked in for 2 nights at The Wheeldale. Thankgoodness we had used my BMW compact car to travel in and not my husband's Jag, otherwise we would never have been able to park at the B&B. I would not call this a hotel.
The breakfast was of good quality and the room acceptable. I thought we had picked 2 bad days for the owners because we found them not at their happiest towards their guests... when they did aknowledge our existance..but having read these reviews it seems its a problem thats ongoing that they must address, sooner rather than later. The Wheeldale is not somewhere we would choose to stay at again, although its only fair to say we found it to be a decent value for money charged venue.

Room Tip: Advise you ask about space available and mention what size car you will be using. Its like sardines when it comes to parking here. If a guest wishes to leave early and they have been boxed in by other guests cars, then you will be asked to move to let them out. Which is not a big problem ..unless you are in the middle of taking a shower or bath at the time !
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sioux1954
PeterColeman, Owner at The Wheeldale, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Thanks for your comments,on the positive side decent value for money charged.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We have just returned from a fantastic stay at The Wheeldale.The room no. 11 was lovely,very clean& very spacious.Super bathroom, as I love a bath as well as a shower & spotlessly clean too.
The breakfast was fantastic,(the mushrooms were to die for) every thing you could wish for if you chose to eat a three/four course breakfast.Lovely sea view from the dining room.
Owners so friendly & very helpful,nothing was a bother.
Car park small but we parked on the road which was not a problem as a quiet road.
Honesty bar in lounge if you fancy a drink or snack.
Altogether a great place to stay for a break in Whitby.I would DEFINITELY stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magpies66
PeterColeman, Owner at The Wheeldale, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Again thankyou for the very positive feedback.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Myself and my family have just arrived back from a couple of nights stay at the Wheedale and loved it!! On arrival we were warmly greeted and although parking was limited we were fortunate enough to grab a spot (although I could see an issue with regards to parking in high season should you not be able to park on the hotel forecourt as the main road parking gets really busy quite early on in the day). We had the family room (£90 per night including breakfast) which is a new build on the rear of the property which overlooked the cricket field of Whitby CC (it's just a shame there wasn't a game on as we would have had a prime spot!).On entering the room it was absolutely spotless and you could smell the newness of the room.It had one large room which doubled up as the main bedroom (it had the full Sky+ HD package displayed on an impressive 42" LCD TV ),a spacious free standing wardrobe,a very comfy double bed and a couple of decent chairs.Tea/coffee/hot chocolate options were also available on entrance.Off to the right at the bottom of the room was another separate bedroom with twin beds,a smaller portable size LCD TV and a DVD player (my daughters loved this room which gave them some much needed privacy),however curiously non of the keys provided opened the double patio doors which were present in this room,although it was not a major issue.At the top end of the main room off to the right was a lovely spacious bathroom complete with the fantastic added bonus of having a whirlpool bath added(and after a long hot day in the sun it was very much appreciated!!)I just had a couple of slight issues with the room,firstly there is a green low glow light that sits on the ceiling in the centre of the main room (some sort of detector )which takes a little getting used to when you are nodding off.Also you get the whoosh of the noise of water from the waterworks from the above room when either the sink or toilet is being used which can be slightly annoying if you have an early riser above you.Finally non of our several media appliances would connect to the WiFi router (we got the faintest of faint signals but were unable to connect anything),but if you have 3G or GPS it's not much of an issue,there is afterall a PC that all guests can use in the main lounge. As mentioned there is no bar however there is a very well stocked fridge.Breakfast was superb!! A full English was my weapon of choice and was all of very good produce,toast was also plentiful as were the other options of cereal,jams,juices,tees and coffee (both freshly brewed).
I thought the Wheeldale was well situated just far enough from the hustle and bustle of the main quayside area,but not too far away and allows you to take in the beautiful coastline and surrounding scenery.Also situated close by was a 9 hole pitch and putt,a large paddling pool and an original Arnold Palmer crazy golf course.The seashore pavillion is also situated nearby.
Would me and my family stay at the Wheeldale again? A resounding YES.Would we recommend it to friends and family? ABSOLUTELY
Well done!

Room Tip: The family room is superb quality and value and is situated at the rear of the hotel away from the main rd
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Graham N

Many Thanks for the positive comments.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

My wife and I stopped for one night in July. The room was fine with a good sized bathroom and strong shower. Breakfast was the Full Monty if you wanted with lighter options. I had a problem receiving the wi-fi signal and the owner was very helpful in sorting out the problem. The car park is small but there is plenty of free on-street parking. The lounge has great views and a well stocked fridge. Recommended.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thaiowl1963
PeterColeman, Owner at The Wheeldale, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Thanks for your positive comments much appreciated.