“DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!”
Review of The Wheeldale

The Wheeldale
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
East Yorkshire
“DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed in this B&B NOT HOTEL!!
Stayed in Room 5. Couldn't sit in the sitting room and relax because it was awful! Saw the owner for 3 minutes in all the stay. I said that for the price I paid I thought I would get a sea view. He just said "I've only got 5!" That really didn't help.
The view was a roof and a wall. In the bedroom there was a view of a wall and a window in next doors hotel where people in a corridor could look at me in my bedroom. The rooms were dusty and poorly decorated.
We stayed from Friday to Sunday and in that time, the rooms were not tidied and the bathroom was left dirty and the towels were not replaced.
It was only on the day of leaving, when I was checking I hadn't left anything that I found a gross stain on the mattress.
I couldn't even look at the owner when I left because I was so angry.
I have emailed him with my issues over a week ago and he has ignored me.
For the price I paid, I've had a lot better places.

Room Tip: Try a room that might be clean???
5 Thank Donnamarpla
Hi

I did receive your emails and was deeply offended by your comments.Most of my guest's have been very happy in room 5 and I would not want to see you here again.Nothing was said to me during your stay with us regarding these issues.I hope you find somewhere cheaper next time you visit Whitby.

Peter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
liverpool
Reviewed 3 August 2014

On Booking the Wheeldale I worried that it was a bit expensive for a B&B, however when we arrived I was greeted by a really friendly guy who showed me to our room, the Bedroom was basic with a double bed, nice and bright though, then there was a seating area which was a converted loft space upstairs from the bedroom which had a fabulous view which I felt then justified the price, we left our bags and went out for dinner, an hour out of the room I got a call from the hotel to tell me that they had put us in the wrong room and to tell me that he will move our belongings and I can collect the new key upon our return! When i got back I spoke to a lady and explained about my call and asked her what the problem was, she made no effort to make eye contact with me at all and responded quite rudely that she "no idea, been away for 3 days!" and shoved the key towards me from the counter, We went up to our room, had this been the first room we went in we'd have shrugged off the expensive cost as written it off as a bad experience, however from seeing the previous room I imagine that another guest had complained about this one and that was why we were stuck in it! on entering the room the advertised seating area was exactly that....it was just like a hospital waiting room! not at all warm or welcoming like the seating area in room 6! it was not somewhere we wanted to sit and relax to watch tv after a long day of walking, the window in this room had a tatty old vertical blind that had a large gap at either end when it was closed...this didn't matter tho as nobody could see in from the brick wall that it faced! the bathroom had no blinds or curtains and the toilet was directly next to the window...at the same level....the whole of whitby knew what i was doing if I had the light on! the bedroom was fine except the old rattling metal venician blinds, again we faced a wall but it was the wall of the b&B next door....we were woken each morning by the smell of fat and clattering of pots and pans as they did their breakfasts!( not the fault of the wheeldale but very annoying and disapointing!) The reason I gave the Wheeldale 3 out of 5 and not 0 is that had we been left in the 1st room i find it hard to believe we'd have had any issues and although we only had breakfast on the second day it was just as promised. I must give credit that the mini bar in the communal area is a fantastic idea and the lady and gentleman that i dealt with on the first day were then both friendly throughout our stay.....If i stayed in the wheeldale again I would ensure I DID NOT stay in room 5!

Room Tip: Room 6 is perfect but steer clear of room 5!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennymartin
Hi

I am very sorry that you had to move rooms but sadly I made a mistake.Sometimes these things happen but not often as we try very hard to make all our customers happy.
I am sorry that room 5 was not up to your standards.
I do hope you find something more to your taste next time you are in Whitby.

Kingston upon Hull
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Lovely clean bedroom with amazing views and huge en-suite . Great for parking and you are only a short walk from the harbour. Most tables were full at breakfast time but the service was excellent and the full English was lovely.

PeterColeman, Owner at The Wheeldale, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you very very much for your positive remarks.We pride ourselves on offering great breakfast's and I was very pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us.Hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Great ensuite and plenty of space in the bedroom with a very large TV too. Enjoyed our short stay. Nice location on the west cliff slightly away from the noise of Central Whitby but close to the beach

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were made very welcome by Peter and Rebecca as always. We relax the minute we get there and can't get enough of the view from our room which was well appointed and lovely and clean. Great to have much easier parking and free Wi- fi. Breakfast top notch, served very efficiently. Great to have the honesty bar. Very quiet yet handy for all amenities in Whitby and surrounding area. Many thanks for another wonderful stay. We will be back - next time for longer.
Richard and Sue. Somerset

PeterColeman, Owner at The Wheeldale, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Hi Richard and Sue

Thanks very much for the ace comments and mentioning that the parking is much better now. Again it is very nice to hear this and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel in a perfect seafront location; couldn't get enough of the view! Great location for easy access to Whitby; the walk was always a nice start to the day. Owners were very hospitable - the honesty box in the sitting room for wine and snacks was a surprise, unique idea that added to the homey atmosphere.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BexC91
PeterColeman, Owner at The Wheeldale, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Again thanks very much for the positive review and we hope to see you again soon.
Tibshelf, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had three night's here and this was our first visit to Wheelgate. We have visited Whitby many times, coming to Wheelgate had us feeling very welcome and relaxed. Excellent service through out our stay. The room (3) was sea view and we could not have wanted for more. Breakfast was absolutely fine and the lady serving on the tables had it down to a fine art and no waiting time. Meal was cooked just right . We hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Sea view beautiful any time any weather. Quiet and relaxing.
1 Thank Lynda W
PeterColeman, Owner at The Wheeldale, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Always very pleased to hear great comments.See you again soon.