“super hotel.”

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“super hotel.”
Reviewed 27 February 2011

we have just stayed at the wheeldale lovely greeting when we arrived .very clean and airy room a view to die for that my husband went and bought a pair of field glasses so he could watch the boats out at sea .bed comfy ,we both had a lovely full english breakfast.which set us up for the day .nothing was to much trouble .thank-you we will be booking in again

1 Thank HEATHHOLD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Cumbria
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Room 8: Up two flights of steepish stairs but I'm not very mobile and managed them perfectly well. Lovely room with view straight on to the sea. Spacious, stylish shower room - big enough to have included a bath and still have lots of space. Good, strong shower with none of the heat-settings problems mentioned by other reviewers. Let down a bit by the tacky, plastic - and shaky - towel rings and there's nowhere else - except the radiators or the cheval mirror - to put damp towels

Whole place is light, clean and smart - even with a beige stair carpet trodden on by muddy and sandy feet. Each time we used it, it looked freshly-hoovered. Nice idea of an honesty bar in the sea-view lounge. Probably an indication of its popularity that it was full on a February Thursday. Felt that it was value for money at £70 for two, B&B, including the dog. Be aware that dogs are only allowed on the beach from October to April.

Parking is tight but remarkably well organised for such a small space and if you don't fancy that, the street outside is wide and there's plenty of space. The notices warning you about the prospect of being blocked in are clear and placed where they are difficult to miss.

Breakfast is still 8-9 but no-one - including us - considered that a problem. In fact it was a spur to be down in the town before the hoards arrived and therefore could get a parking space. We took our time; the selection and service were fine. Get down spot on 8 o'clock if you want the only bay window table.

I don't do hills particularly well and it took me about 25 minutes to walk back up from the town, up steep and slippery steps. As mentioned elsewhere, The Wheeldale is up on the cliff so its environs are flat. If you don't fancy the walk back down - and up - for an evening meal, a nearby hotel has a decent, large Chinese restaurant. If you want to eat in the town, however, you're spoilt for choice and there are perfectly good fish-and-chip alternatives to the expensive, famous Magpie for which you have to queue on the street.

We would strongly recommend The Wheeldale . I doubt if you would find much better for the price in Whitby.

1 Thank retired-ish
Denbigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Made to feel very welcome, everything they promised was delivered in full and more. Clean, warm, excellent breakfasts. Would definately book here again. Views superb.

2 Thank debby p
nr sheffield
Reviewed 20 January 2011

lovely hotel we stayed in room 6 which is a split level room, with a double bed , shower room and separate wc down stairs and then up a flight of stair in to the attic room there is a small living room. very nice with sea veiws and there is also a bathroom with bath.the room was very clean and nicely decorated, my only niggle was that there is a small dressing table with a lovely large mirrow above but there was no light above and it was quite dark when trying to do hair and make up.also the shower room is very small and the temp of the shower goes up and down and you are scalding hot one minite and freezing the next.the bed was very comfy and the room is very quite. the breakfast was lovely and the staff very friendly,my only complaint would be as other people have put your breakfast is only served between 8and 9am it would be better to serve till 10am as we like to heve a lie in when we go away.but i would come and stop again.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Stayed in Room 3, clean with comfy bed and sitting area overlooking the sea. Great breakfast plenty to eat. Room 3 could do with a new shower head, water spraying everywhere, towels were old yellow & hard no bath sheet only hand/bath towel. Stayed 2 nights & on morning of our last day we went for breakfast at 9am came back to our room to find the towels had gone from bathroom so if we hadnt had our showers before breakfast well that was hard look!

Yorkshire, UK.
Reviewed 18 January 2011

The Wheeldale is a nice B&B - we stayed in a room 6 which was split level (the upstairs living room had amazing sea views, the bedroom itself looks onto a cricket pitch.) The bed was comfy, shower was powerful... it was, nice. But perhaps not as amazing as some of these reviews suggest.
Breakfast didn't look like the photo on their website - but again, it was nice enough. We did cancel the breakfast on our second morning though in favour of a better one elsewhere. Having said that it was, ok.
This review seems a bit low - but the B&B is good, if you have a sea view it's impressive and the place offers all you could want from a Whitby guest house.

1 Thank tripper9945
Derbyshire
Reviewed 15 January 2011

A quick decision is sometimes the best, and learning that my husband had booked his two lieu days off for this last week, I decided that one should be used to get away for the night and to breathe in some sea air!

I decided on Whitby and as most people do these days, came on Trip Advisor to look for a good value Bed and Breakfast, tailor made for what I wanted, which was a sea view, easy parking, near the sea and clean.

Having read every single review on The Wheeldale, and looking at pictures on google, and on the Bed and Breakfast's site itself, I decided to drop them an e mail and explain that we were in dire need of a break and I dearly wanted to see the sea.

After a friendly conversation with Peter, who owns the B & B, together with his wife, he said "I'll put you in Room 3 .. there's a super sea view from there and you can sit in the bay window and look out to your heart's content".

We arrived at mid day on Thursday (13th Jan 2011) and were warmly welcomed and shown the cozy lounge area where we were able to take dvd's or magazines us to our room should be wish and where we could also buy wine, beer and soft drinks, aswell as there being a machine for hot drinks if you wanted. There were also sweets and crisps available, and each item you bought was written in a little honesty book and paid for at the end of your stay. What was really nice was that there was a bowl of fruit, free for guests ... nice to see somewhere encouraging your 5 a day!

The lounge room was warm and cozy and very welcome on a January day, although we were extremely lucky and the day remained dry and when the sun came out, you certainly felt the warmth.

You are also able to use a PC here in the lounge although there is Wi Fi access in your room for I Pod users such as myself, to post my pics quickly on Facebook!

We had Room No. 3 ... a lovely double room with a bay window overlooking the sea and, if you looked to the right, Whitby and the abbey, which looked incredibly pretty when lit up at night. The bay window area had a nice little round table and two comfortable chairs, so that you could sit and have a cuppa and take advantage of the view.

The room also included a complimentary tray of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and a bottle of fruity water which was a very nice addition to the usual. Hairdryer in the drawer so no need to pack one, and a large flat screen tv with DVD player and Sky.

The toilet area contained a shower - with a good bit of power coming out of the shower head - a little basket containing shampoo, shower gel, hand cream and a flannel .. and of course, all the towelling you need.

After a meal out the night before, I didn't think I would be able to manage breakfast .. hmm, I was wrong here, as I not only had cereal, but the full english .. and polished off the lot! Cooked to perfection, it really set us up for the day.

Also available were yoghurts and grapefruit segments ... orange juice ... and tea/coffee/toast.

The Guest House was just across the road from the sea .. and a path, zig zagged it's way down to the lovely beach which, despite being the time of year when dogs are allowed on, was really clean.

I have trouble walking, yet this Guest House is on the flat, so if you fancy a little walk in Whiby before or after you carry on with your day, then you certainly can do so.

I didn't do the walk into Whitby town itself as after about 8 minutes of flat walking, it was downhill, but as I say, outside the Wheeldale, it is flat enough to wheel a wheelchair with ease and the route down to the beach, although I had to keep stopping, was fine when I used my crutches.

I'd certainly come to this Guest House again ... nothing was too much trouble and I felt I was being welcomed into a HOME, not a business.