“Resolutely Restful”
Review of Resolution Hotel

Resolution Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This hotel is nicely appointed, very clean, with large bathrooms. It has a modern lift, a cellar lounge, a large lounge, and very good breakfast. It is conveniently located (but hard to find at first at the corner of Skinner and Flowergate), and there was only on-street parking (difficult to find). Although there was no early-morning coffee, it is in a very cute walk-able town, but the terrain is hilly.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dan J

Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

Stay 2 nights wed 8th to fri 10th aug, fantastic hotel, great location spotless rooms, staff in hotel are lovelly especially brunette young girl nothing too much trouble, breakfast is amazing, we will definitely stay nowhere else now in Whitby thank you xx

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Having had a delightful stay in this hotel earlier in the year I contacted them direct to book again for my wedding anniversary. I asked for a room with a bath and the manager told me over the phone that he could do a good deal on the four poster room. At twice the price of the standard room it wasn't cheap but not wanting to look like a cheapskate in front of my wife, I booked it, and had to pay up front.
The young girl who checked us in was very friendly but there was no mention this time of discount for residents using the restaurant. The room was very spacious but the four poster was a bit rickety and did not have a single drape or net fitted to it. Basically it was just a big bed. Nice array of towels and toiletries, bit tight with the coffee and tea though, and only one teaspoon.
The bathroom was dated and a bit damp, the bath panel discoloured and some paint peeling. The sash casement window only opened about 2 inches and the room was overly warm because of this. The curtains were poorly fitted to the tracks which meant they did not meet in the middle properly. There was a huge ornamental mirror but unfortunately it was nowhere near the dressing table so my wife had to do her hair and make-up either off the edge of the bed or by dragging a chair over, and the lack of lighting in this area didn't help.
We went out for the evening, had a thoroughly pleasant time in the local hostelries taking in a variety of live music before returning to the hotel bar where there was a two piece band playing (which nearly outnumbered the customers!) The band was good but the bar was very empty, certainly compared to last time anyway. Oh, and even though we were residents we could not put our drinks on our bill, we had to pay cash for eveything, and the staff were not as friendly as the previous time, more distracted.
The window to our room overlooked a busy little alleyway and we were treated to the sounds of drunken hee-hawing, hooting, hysterics and shouting until stupid o'clock in the morning. When I finally got to sleep my wife woke me up to complain that I was snoring, only to find out that it wasn't me, it was reverberating through the walls/ceiling from someone else in a nearby room.
I still like the Resolution but they could definitely make a few improvements and I ceratinly did not consider the price I paid for the room reflected what I got. If we were to stay again I would not bother with the four poster, I would just go for the standard room.

Room Tip: If you prefer a bath to a shower you'll need to ask for it, but think carefully before you splur...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dangerousbryman
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for the past 3 years and always had a pleasant stay. However since it has been upgraded we had a fantastic stay. The rooms are of a high standard, very clean, the staff are polite, a great selection of drinks available and the bar and restaurant look fantastic. We ate in the vault bar and the food was absolutely superb !! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Myself & my wife have stayed at this hotel on several occasions.
The new Owner Kit and his staff have put so much hard work into making this a great value place to stay in Whitby.
It has been redecorated & refurbished & it's evident that they really do care about making your stay as pleasant as possible.
The staff are very friendly, helpful & professional.
The new menu is great & excellent value. I highly recommend 'Steak Night'.
The breakfast menu has a wide choice & is very tasty.
The rooms are comfortable & clean.
We will definitely return in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My husband, myself and our son and daughter (aged 20 and 18) had a 3 night midweek stay at this hotel and really enjoyed it. We stayed in the only apartment in the hotel which is described as 5 bedded, but it actually had 7 beds in two bedrooms, one HUGE room with 5 beds and one very good sized room with 2 beds. There was also a bathroom with bath and shower and a kitchen which is in need of a little TLC, there are no plates, cutlery, kitchen equipment. etc. although we didn't need these as we ate out, but there is a kettle and plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits. There are plenty of towels provided, as well as shampoo, shower gel and moisturiser and a hairdrier. Everything is very clean and we had a great view over the harbour and Whitby Abbey. The bar and restaurant area is lovely and we enjoyed an excellent meal on our second night which is highly recommended. Although there is no parking at the hotel, the receptionist directed us to a car park only a minute up the road. The hotel is very well located for sightseeing in Whitby, the staff are really friendly and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The Resolution Hotel is a budget, town centre hotel ideal as a centre for sight seeing Whitby as almost everything is within walking distance. Book one of the Rooms with a View higher up in the building; top floor if you can. The only problem we had was the early morning seagull chorus, but from that there is 0 escape in a seaside town & not the fault of the hotel. We enjoyed breakfast which was simple but filling but we didn’t eat at the hotel as we wanted to sample something different in Whitby, only being there for a weekend.
There are very few hotels or B&B’s with parking within the centre but the staff were very helpful & found us somewhere very reasonable and safe within 1 minutes walk. Good value, comfortable & clean, it was just what we needed.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor room with a harbour view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple