“Lovely staff great food few adjustments needed to reach perfection.”
Review of Resolution Hotel

Resolution Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My partner and I stayed for two nights as a birthday treat. We had a standard room with breakfast included. The staff were very welcoming and the room was a nice size. The food was amazing not only the breakfasts but the burgers in the bar were melt in your mouth xx The only downside was the comfort of the bed, I was told this was a new mattress so I hope you might consider getting a new supplier. I could feel every spring and it did spoil my stay not having the rest I had come away for. Xx great location to explore whitby from and please improve your mattresses I want to come back xx

• Stayed: February 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,229)

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to go to Whitby for our "I'll have the kids for you BFF" pass night away. We often go to Robin Hoods Bay and fancied a change.
The Resolution is an absolute bargain! The room was light and very spacious - it was clean and tastefully decorated (with a shower built for 2 ;) )
The bar is lively with a great atmosphere. We didn't eat there in the evening but the menu looked amazing. Certainly if breakfast was anything to go by it probably was amazing! Good quality, well cooked - an excellent full English. Being in Whitby, I would have liked there to have been a fish option.
The staff were polite and attentive and the proprietor responded to my suggestion of a shelf in the en-suite by writing it immediately in his 'to-do book'.
This 3 star hotel deserves a visit and we will endeavour to return - with mates so we can show-off our new find....might be my new favourite place!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MoreShoesssss
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Was bought this stay as a little treat from family. Never been to whitby so was quite excited. Checked in with ease, and went straight up to our room, which looked nice enough but was freezing! Took ourselves downstairs to the bar and picked up our free bottle of wine. The staff were friendly and the bar nice. However I did notice the windows in the bar were all covered with extra glazing, but the rooms weren't. Shows that they are aware that the windows are drafty. After a pleasant evening out and about in whitby we had a nightcap and went to our room. the room was still freezing and the wind was really howling around. I know the weather can't be helped but the room heater didn't do much and was positioned behind the curtains so did nothing and the bathroom had no heat at all. We had to use extra blankets to get warm. Not a brilliant nights sleep. Next morning we had breakfast which was cooked perfectly. No complaints. Then went upstairs to shower and pack. I turned on the shower and it sprayed up the window and wall at the opposite side of the room and wouldn't adjust. So had to hold it in my hand. Hardly ideal in a cold room! There's no way I could wash my hair. Paint was peeling, strange stain in the carpet and the carpet had fine wood shavings in it too. I would have marked this lower but the staff and breakfast were so could, I cut it some slack. However, we won't be returning!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
a_delahunty, Owner at Resolution Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Customer,

Firstly, thank you for your review. As tongue in cheek as this may sound I do wish everyone would review as it would show that actually on balance we have very many happy customers but naturally the tendency on this particular website is towards pointers for improvements or issues as they of course provoke a stronger desire to review. The result is we have to massively excel to generate positive responses, which is always our intention ,but occasionally we do make mistakes and these seem more prominent due to the overall lack of reviews. Please bare in mind we have 60 guests per night most nights. This is really a message to future guests that we really do want your reviews even if they are letting us know how to improve.

There is no doubting in my mind this review is absolutely genuine and that we will need to address the points you have raised. For that reason it naturally warrants a response from myself.

We do watch the site actively and have made a lot of changes in the winter to improve the comfort of peoples stay. The shower will most certainly be looked at but as for the secondary glazing it is an extremely difficult balance on a listed building as the windows you refer to down stairs are only at either end of the room for soundproofing purposes. They are not opening windows which is why we internally secondary glazed them. Naturally in the summer we would have big issues with over heating if those same windows were installed in all of the rooms and this would detract from the feel of the hotel. As always though I will be checking this as we would not expect any customers to be cold in there rooms.

The heaters installed are extremely good (they have manual digital controls on them for temperature change and should go as high as 32 degrees). We also have plenty of spare heaters in case customers require them. Our staff are all trained to go to great lengths to look after customers so I would always ask guests to let us know immediately if they were not warm enough in their rooms as it is very difficult to rectify once people have left. We also always have a night porter on for this reason (24 hour service).

I won't pretend that we haven't had a few teething issues in the last few weeks but these have been the result of genuine attempts at improving the hotel for our customers with additions like bathroom improvements and new furniture (probably the cause of the wood on the carpet, albeit I am not excusing it, our staff will have already seen this review so I will probably not need to point it out. We are Infact in the process of re carpeting all the rooms and I apologise this was not done sooner).

Finally it is greatly appreciated that you mention the staff in the manner you have. They do work very hard and its for this reason that I can assure you we will have addressed the relevant points you have raised very quickly.

kind regards

Andrew Delahunty

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We expected more from this hotel considering the description and photographs on their web site. The Hotel appears shabby and in dis-repair with poor decor and old warn out furnishings , not the luxury we hoped for. The double room was small although clean. there was only one bedside lamp and no phone to ring reception or recieve early morning call. The carpets were stained and torn.There was a continous green light on during the night ( part of fire alarm system) and a bright blue light ( part of the heating) also on during the night which kept us awake. The paint on the bathroom wall was pealing off and the bathroom was freezing. The bedroom was also very cold with drafty windows. The walls were also very thin, and you could hear the activites of other guests. the breakfast was ok. there was only one member of staff serving both reception and thebar and we had to wait a couple of times to get someones attension. I would not return to this hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phone-gnome
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My partner and i had a 2 night break between Christmas and New year at the Resolution Hotel.
Nice hotel separate entrance for Hotel guests so you don't have to walk through the bar area, first impressions very clean friendly welcome,
we booked a standard room and was given one on the first floor nice corner room big double bed bath and shower and again very clean with tea/coffee tray with biscuits. room was slightly cold but time of the year.
Had a drink in the bar Friday night big bar area with TV's to watch sport etc good atmosphere descent crowd.
breakfast included for 2 in the room rate juice toast cereal and a cooked to order full English served to your table and was piping hot and plenty of it your choice how eggs cooked also.
Now only downside and not real an issue for us as up early is street noise early in the morning traffic/ beer wagon dropping barrels of etc may be as our room on 1st floor and 2 big bay windows.
Saturday night went back to bar from a meal out and they had a band on who were excellent classic songs all ages could enjoy and again bar full and real good night.

4 stars from me and will stay there again as ideally placed for centre of Whitby.

If you travel there in a car 24 hour car park on silver street just on next street i left my car for 2 days cost me around £14 for 2 days but if you don't mind walking street parking few streets away free.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stopped off for a meal early New Years Eve; we managed to get a table to seat 11 people incredibly! All the staff were friendly enough and the two six year olds we had with us seemed to enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. The menu was very basic and most of the group opted for the burgers. We had to order all the food at the bar and pay up front; we didn't get service at the table unfortunately. The meals came out promptly and we call agreed the burgers were very good. There was a fault with one dish; the lamb was tasteless, but that was the only issue in the whole party. I would recommend this place for a quick no frill meal, and drinks. I don't have any comment on the hotel because we didn't stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2014

All the staff were welcoming and showed an interest in our travels. The food and service was good and efficient with the staff making sure we were happy with what we got. Although the room was basic it was clean and had all the necessary accessories.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family