“Didn't live up to the rave reviews”
Review of Grantley House

Grantley House
Ranked #140 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
Toronto, Ontario
“Didn't live up to the rave reviews”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I paid for a superior room (9) and found the decor completely over the top - a purple nightmare. The bed, however, was probably the most comfortable I have experienced in a B&B. I also appreciated the large kettle and plentiful tea making supplies, and that my bag was carried up to my room for me.

I thought I would at least have some sort of a view, and I did - of a fence and a brick wall. The breakfast choices were good but breakfast was spoiled by an extremely loud rock radio station blaring throughout. Based on other stays in Yorkshire this June I didn't think this was good value. Generally the atmosphere seemed a bit chaotic, and I didn't like having to run the gauntlet of the smokers out front - one of whom, it turned out, lived there!

I did, however, really like the location and a bracing walk along West Cliff after breakfast cleared my head a bit from the pounding rock music. Wouldn't risk this place again, though.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
justbr, Owner at Grantley House, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Thank you for your review, although I do feel that some parts are unfair. As you state you are a single traveller, and did not find us to be "value for money", I take it that this is because on your arrival you stated you were a single traveller, and how much were we going to take off the bill, why did you book a double room through a booking agent, if you wanted value for money as a single person, perhaps a single room would have been more appropriate. I also think its unfair to make a comment to decor just because YOU dont like a particular colour, I personally hate the colour brown, but would not dream of calling a place unless it was dirty and unkempt. You also state that "one of the smokers lived in the house", this again is wrong, no one who lives in this house is a smoker, it is a non smoking guest house, so guests do smoke on the path outside the house, sorry but this is beyond my control. The "loud rock station" that you complained about playing in the breakfast room was actually Gold FM, this is a middle of the road mainly 60s music station that most people enjoy, perhaps working in a library has made your hearing a little sensative, as the radio is played at a low level.
I feel that you're complaints, in the most are unjustified, it is our intention to make every guests stay with us a pleasurable one, although it seems that we cant please a very small minority of people.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2011

this is our 3rd visit to grantley house and my partner and i love it it is clean and comfortable and good food. we will be returning at the end of may for our honeymoon.

Room Tip: we have stayed in room 4 and 8 no complaints
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We stayed in room 3, My son booked it as he was getting married in Whitby. I am disabled and it was on the second floor which was our fault but the room was so nice warm and clean with nice furniture and cable tv,that I was happy to manage the stairs. The owners couldn't do enough for us and gave me lots of extra T bags, coffee and milk as I have to drink lots of fluid. Breakfast was fantastic with everything and as much as you wanted. It was home from home, I always want to get home but on this occassion I was happy to stay. I personally couldn't fault it and thought it was very good value for money. Bed was very comfortable My son recieved a bottle of bubbly after his wedding which I thought was a nice touch. Many thanks for everything.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely we booked three rooms.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2011

First trip to Whitby and stayed at Grantley House B & B, our room was clean and comfortable but the ensuite shower could have done with a small upgrade as we had nowhere to hang our wet towels as the rails where nowhere to be seen (original hooks there but were broken) plus little unusual for the sink to be in the actual bedroom but it didn't cause us any problems.

Breakfast was excellent, you choose what you want the night before also letting the owners know what your preferred time to eat is 8pm, 8.30 or 9pm - our breakfast was freshly cooked and delicious plus there is a good range of cereal and fruit and fresh toast. Excellent value for money and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Bedrooms are on 3 floors therefore lots of stairs!
Cottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2011

After having a wonderful time the first time we booked this B&B back in 2009 we decided we would book at Grantley House again.

Lets start with the room. We stayed in Room 8 (The 4 poster room) which we would describe as a characterful room, furnished with beautiful furniture and some nice touches. The bed was lovely and comfortable, the bedding stylish and most importantly fresh and clean. The room itself is a nice size, has a lovely sofa - ideal for cuddling up on whilst watching the large LCD TV with freeview/freesat. There was ample tea and coffee, with the staff more then happy to provide more should you be tea monsters like myself and my new bride. For those who like a nice glass of red of an evening then the wine chiller is a nice addition. Finally the en-suite is finished to a high standard. Twin sinks, a nice spacious shower with clean towels, soap and complimetary toileteries all added to the finish.

This brings us nicely onto the breakfast, which as many have commented, is YUMMY! There is a large selection of fresh fruits, yogurts, cerials and juices for you to tuck into whilst the staff prepare your fry up (should you wish to have one). I challenge anyone not to be impressed with the choice and standard of food on offer!

We were getting married whilst we were staying there and were pleasantly surprised to find a lovely card, a couple of bottles of wine, aswell as a big bunch of flowers waiting for us when we returned. Another nice touch!

The staff and owners are top drawer, friendly, helpful and accomadating. We travel alot, often staying in places that disappoint....Well Grantley House has never disappointed us and I would recommend this B&B to family and friends. Keep up the good work guys and we look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Room 8!
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Lovely room with a four poster bed and ensuite. Breakfast was the largest selection I have ever been offered and done to perfection! I love that you can have fresh exotic fruit and cereals prior to your cooked breakfast choice.
The owners were very lovely and accommodating.
The only downside was waking up to the smell of breakfast cooking, which can't really be moaned about... I think my stomach walked me down the stairs at breakfast time!
Great value for what you get. Five stars!

• Stayed April 2011
Crawcrook, Gateshead
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We booked the Grantley as a last minute break. We booked on the Sunday night and stayed on the following Friday to Monday. There was only one twin room left which me and my partner were happy to take. On getting to the bedroom, we were given a family room with two singles and a double so we got our double bed afterall which was great. Our toilet stopped flushing and we reported it to the staff. It was fixed by the time we got back from our walk down at the harbour.

The breakfasts were lovely and very filling. I think the system of booking breakfast the night before works very well so you don't have to wait a long time to be served.

Our room was in the attic which was fine but when you're not used with stairs (we live in a downstairs flat) they can get the heart racing!

Would stay here again as the staff were very attentive and friendly and the location is excellent.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple