Grantley House
US$107
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsparking permiton arrivalposter roomthe ritztoastfeel very welcomeclean roomsquiet locationtwo night staylovely roomfriendly welcomefantastic breakfasttea and coffeeplenty of choiceshort breaka lovely staytv
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 August 2011

stayed here for one night. Got room 6 which is at top of house, so you need to be fit to climb the stairs! Quirky, clean room. Great location to walk into town. Obv parking is really hard to find. We ended up finding a big car park behind the church which was £5 for 24 hrs. Met the lovely landlady in the morning for a lovely breakfast. Would recommend and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed in Room 1 (on the ground floor) for 2 nights, room was very clean, the decor was very satisfactory and the room was spacious with a sofa. The bed was extremely comfy and the tea/coffee choices were very good. The shower was good, but the cubicle doors were slightly out and that is my only quibble!!
The staff were very friendly, brilliant huge breakfast (couldn't eat it all!!). Location was very good and we found parking on the road later on in the day which saved on parking fees and alot of to-ing and fro-ing.
Would definatley stay here again

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2011

went to whitby for the first time in years .picked grantley house to stay in ,and we dont think we could have stayed at a better b & b ,Justin was great as a host telling us were to go and were to eat. the rest of the staff made us very welcome .the purple room on the first floor was well decorated and very clean.all rooms are decorated once a year to a high standard.breakfast was first class everything that you would want,ie fresh fruit , juice and anything that you like on a hot breakfast. sorry that we took the key for the room ,but it is in the post and you sould receive it shortly.we will be back and hope to stay at the grantley house again. thanks Frank & jeanette.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank netty1949
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I paid for a superior room (9) and found the decor completely over the top - a purple nightmare. The bed, however, was probably the most comfortable I have experienced in a B&B. I also appreciated the large kettle and plentiful tea making supplies, and that my bag was carried up to my room for me.

I thought I would at least have some sort of a view, and I did - of a fence and a brick wall. The breakfast choices were good but breakfast was spoiled by an extremely loud rock radio station blaring throughout. Based on other stays in Yorkshire this June I didn't think this was good value. Generally the atmosphere seemed a bit chaotic, and I didn't like having to run the gauntlet of the smokers out front - one of whom, it turned out, lived there!

I did, however, really like the location and a bracing walk along West Cliff after breakfast cleared my head a bit from the pounding rock music. Wouldn't risk this place again, though.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
justbr, Owner at Grantley House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Thank you for your review, although I do feel that some parts are unfair. As you state you are a single traveller, and did not find us to be "value for money", I take it that this is because on your arrival you stated you were a single traveller, and how much were we going to take off the bill, why did you book a double room through a booking agent, if you wanted value for money as a single person, perhaps a single room would have been more appropriate. I also think its unfair to make a comment to decor just because YOU dont like a particular colour, I personally hate the colour brown, but would not dream of calling a place unless it was dirty and unkempt. You also state that "one of the smokers lived in the house", this again is wrong, no one who lives in this house is a smoker, it is a non smoking guest house, so guests do smoke on the path outside the house, sorry but this is beyond my control. The "loud rock station" that you complained about playing in the breakfast room was actually Gold FM, this is a middle of the road mainly 60s music station that most people enjoy, perhaps working in a library has made your hearing a little sensative, as the radio is played at a low level.
I feel that you're complaints, in the most are unjustified, it is our intention to make every guests stay with us a pleasurable one, although it seems that we cant please a very small minority of people.

Reviewed 23 May 2011

this is our 3rd visit to grantley house and my partner and i love it it is clean and comfortable and good food. we will be returning at the end of may for our honeymoon.

Room Tip: we have stayed in room 4 and 8 no complaints
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple