“fantastic breakfast room ok”
Review of Grantley House

Grantley House
Ranked #124 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
tyne and wear
“fantastic breakfast room ok”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

stayed here for 2 nights,26th-28th aug 2012.wernt booked so were lucky to get something(bank hols weekend).we were shown room before we made mind up,and were happy with room (not the best room in the world but clean)thats the only reason ive rated this b@b average,otherwise it would have been rated very good)so booked the 2 nights.room was large and relatively clean,quite modern plenty of storage for clothes etc,flat screen tv,kettle,hair drier etc etc etc.the brekfast,one of the best ever,quality ingredients,fresh fruit,cereal,fresh milk and best bacon,sausage etc.would deffinetly reccomend to friends and family.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank baltymore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Quorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

On a visit to Whitby in July We arrived at Grantley house with great expectations as my partner had checked out the ratings as, he thought , extensively. (He was not aware of Trip advisor at the time.)
When we arrived we had to leave our cases in the hall as our rooms were not ready. We went out for the day and came back to see our room, which was situated on the ground floor next to the kitchen.
It seemed reasonable even if the decor was rather vulgar for my taste.
However I could smell a strange smell in the bathroom and when I washed my hands the water took a long time to drain away and the smell became stronger.
I was tired and didn't want to make a fuss as we were only there for two nights.
I have to admit that the following morning we had a delicious breakfast and set off for a day out.
On our return we noticed that the room had not been serviced apart from two clean towels on the bed.Nothing had been cleaned or cups or glasses washed , just a couple of refills of coffee had been put in the dish by the kettle.
I was not happy but said to my partner that we only had one night so we would just clean it ourselves and get a good nights sleep.
Early that morning I awoke to open the window which was hidden by wide strip, vertical blinds . I hadnt looked out before so, imagine the shock when I saw animal exrement strewn over the yard .It was obviously dog faeces.
I have to admit I was nearly sick ., particularly as the door next to the yard was the kitchen door where breakfast was cooked.
Although it was only 5:00am I could not get back in the bed. I took out my i phone and took a picture.
My partner awoke asking if there was a problem and He came to see for himself.
He was revolted . I have never seen a calm man like him look so agitated,disgusted and angry.
We packed immediately and waited until the manager came down so that we could pay and leave.
When he asked why we were not having breakfast my partner told him . His answer was "Dogs have to go to the toilet"
Yes we all know that but not in the yard next to the kitchen and allowed to build up to seventeen piles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 101kit
Justme4039, Owner at Grantley House, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Firstly I would like to apologise for the animal waste in the yard, although I think your count was a little excessive. However you did mention that this was at 5am, this was cleaned away and yard sanitised before 7am.
I'm sorry the room was not ready on your arrival, you arrived around 11am, the last guest departed the room at 10.30, a little difficult to turn around along with the rest of the house in half an hour, check in is usually from 1pm.
Thankyou for the possitive feedback on breakfast.
Your room was not serviced as you had a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door, If you needed anything, or if you had put the sign the wrong way round, you could have contacted us and this would have been rectified immediately.
We pride ourselves on friendly service and good amenities, as most of our reviews indicate.
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay, but as the saying goes, you can't please all.
Sowerby Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Booked 2 rooms for my wife, myself and a friends because the place we usually booked was full. Both rooms were very nice. All the staff were very helpful and friendly and the breakfast, which unusually included a wide selection of fresh fruit, was very good.
There is free parking on the street outside, but as you would expect in August it was completely taken when we arrived at around 12 noon. We simply parked in the large pay and display which is 5 mins walk away behind the church at the top of the road because we couldn't be bothered to drive around looking for a free roadside space. We paid approx. £5 for 24 hour parking, but found a that there were parking spaces outside the hotel that evening, so we moved the car there - and that's were it stayed. A little further away we saw streets with free parking with numerous spaces when we drove home at around 10am.
We enjoyed our stay Grantley House and recommend it, and Whitby was, as always, superb!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Today i arrived with my husband to stay at this b+b at the time they stated to arrive, when we got there we couldn't get parked anywhere within about a 10 minute walk, we explained this to the owner and said because we couldn't get parked we wouldn't be able to stay,he showed no sympathy with the situation we found ourselves in and simply stropped to us "Tough you booked a room not a parking pace absolutely no chance whatsoever of having a refund" this was supposed to be a nice break away after my husband was made redundant yesterday and it is our anniversary today, this was our first and last visit to Whitby and would strongly advise against this b+b. I feel stupid now been left £70 plus petrol expenses down and nothing to show for it other than tears + sickness with the stress.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amy H
Justme4039, Owner at Grantley House, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
I find it quite astounding that you have posted this review, as the majority is not true!
You did arrive at the guest house at the time YOU said YOU were going to arrive, we do not stipulate arrival times. Your husband came to the door to say you had arrived and to ask where was the best place to park, whilst we were advising of possible parking spaces you wound down your window and started shouting the odds, that you were not staying if there was nowhere to park, we then started to advise you where possible parking spaces would be, you chose not to listen and just keep shouting over us that you would not be staying if you could not park, at no time was the word "tough" used by us, although we did point out that you had booked a room with us. You then drove off, we waited in all day for you, as at no time did you tell us for sure you were not staying, we booked the room in good faith for you and kept the room vacant in case you arrived later after parking and having a walk around town, therefore we did not refund your booking as not being able to park less than 10 minutes away is not a valid reason for a refund, we have a business to run and bills to pay, we cannot afford to have empty rooms in the height of the season.
We are sorry if you do not agree with our refund policy, but we do have a business to run.,
Newcastle
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We had rooms 6 and 7 on a recent visit. One of these was a family room and the standard of furnishing did not seem to match that found elsewhere on the property ini that it was steel framed bedding that tended to creak and groan a bit. There was a double bed and a set of bunk beds, though we only needed the double bed. However, one of the most challenging aspects of this room was that whilst there was an attempt to put in blinds and curtains, the layout was such that this was very difficult and so being late June, the sun tended to make the room very light until quite late at night and again from very early in the morning. The other room was much nicer and had full blackout blinds. It too is in the 'attic' and so half the room can be difficult to access if you are very tall or can't bend down significantly. As could be expected with rooms at the very top of the property the advice of 'pack light' would be well advised as there are a lot of stairs to negotiate.

The owner was very helpful and went out of his way to help people. Similarly the breakfast was very nice and set us up for the day.

If you can get a room in one of the other floors I think that this would be a great option for a visit to Whitby.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We have just got back after a 2 night stay in room 8, lovely room with leather settee and a huge flat screen tv. Big on suite with a large shower. Justin can't do enough to make sure you have everything you need even camamile tea and fresh brewed coffee, good breakfast with different fruits and cereal. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hull EAST YORKSHIRE.
Reviewed 16 December 2011

we enjoyed a 3 night stay at Grantley House for our first trip to Whitby. Very suprised to see how nice the rooms were, we had rooms 6 and 7 on the very top floor. Rooms were excellent, with good TV's, a very nice en-suite and a suitable wardrobe. Extras in the room for tea/coffee were also very good. The food we had for breakfast was of an excellent standard, with polite staff and a wide choice of food to pre order for breakfast the next day. Was my first time in Whitby, and Grantley House made my stay very enjoyable. 5/5 :)

Room Tip: romms 6 and 7 are great as they are the only rooms on that floor. no disturbances :)