The George Hotel
  • Beachfront
Hudsons(Whitby)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscomplimentary breakfastopposite the railway stationladies toiletsdidn't hear any noisefourth floorpubs and restaurantsbank holidaycomfortable rooma lovely staytown centrecrumpetsseagullsharbourjamsabbey
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

For once I didn't use Trip Advisor before I booked a hotel, if I had I would have stayed clear of the George. The location near the station and harbour is good, but its downhill from there. The check-in is bizarre and you are asked to sign terms and conditions, which is no doubt due to previous guests causing damage, also the hotel advertises a £35 a night rate for an en-suite, which is bound to upset guests like me who had paid £50 via Booking.com. The room was very basic, generally clean apart from marks on the carpet. The cleaner might as well as not bothered. To cut a long story short, the priority for the George is the Bar, the hotel guests are secondary.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Nigel T
GeorgeHotelWhitby, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Hi, All guests are required to sign a guest registration form on check-in, this is standard for most hotels. The £35 price is based on two or more staying in a room. This is clearly stated on all signs. You were in a double room as single occupancy, so there is a reduction from £70 to £50 for single occupancy. I can assure you that the hotel is as much of a priority to us as the hotel bar is.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Luckily we never read the previous comments on TripAdvisor and booked into the George Hotel for three-days in midweek last September. There is no on site parking but the town car park is almost opposite and parking is available for 24 hours. The George is a lively pub and situated close to the centre of Whitby so everything is within a short stroll. The rooms are nice and clean and the breakfast choice satisfactory. The family all share chores so the service appears seamless and with a friendly touch. There was entertainment on at night and that made it a nice end to the day and a refreshing drink before going off to bed. We were never disturbed by the noise from the Karaoke when we retired for the night so can't say it was a problem. However a possible downside was that our room was on the front of the hotel and with no double glazing we could hear quite a bit of traffic noise early morning.

Room Tip: Probably try for a room at the rear of the hotel to reduce the risk of road noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Hi, thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay here and we all look forward to welcoming you again in the future. With regards to the noise from the road due to no double glazing, the hotel is a grade 2 listed building and we are unable to install double glazed windows.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have stopped here a few times, and tbh not had a problem, but I had never stopped on a Wednesday or a Thursday, I'm sorry but if you are disrupted by noise from the bar areas within the rooms you should be made aware of this, it goes on till at least half 12, and tbh it ruined my time here, do your self a favor, go to the angel hotel and go to the entertainment at the George if you want it at least you can sleep in peace. when I asked about the noise, I was offered a free drink......not exactly going to help my lack of sleep!

• Stayed: February 2014

Hi, all guests are advised that as we offer live entertainment most nights some noise may be heard in rooms on the lower floors. This is displayed on our website, on your confirmation letter and on the guest registration form you would have signed on check-in.

Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for one night on the 18th of January with 3 of my friends and family we were advised at check in that they needed a card to make the booking which we paid in cash for we had two rooms booked which were left in good condition the next day.
4 days later I received a letter from the manager advising that there had been damage to the room and they had to replace a mattress and mattress topper in both rooms and the charge which had at this point had allready been taken off my card was the exact amount of £200.
I called the hotel to dispute this as this was an absolute lie and theft from myself I tried a for a whole day to contact the manager of the hotel in which time I was lied to twice and hung up on once by the staff before I even advised why I was calling.
eventually I spoke to him and asked if he had any proof ie receipts for the new mattresses and photos of the damage he advised that he did and he would forward them to me in an e mail but he is busy at the min and that he is off all weekend so it will not be any time soon as of yet I have had no reply and can not get back in touch with him at all
I work in the travel industry and have done for 15 years and know that this charge without receipts is actually just theft and also know that this has happened a few times before.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank 9,065,230
GeorgeHotelWhitby, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Our hotel policy clearly states that any damage to the hotel rooms the guest will be charged.
Upon arrival all guests sign a guest registration form stating this. When our housekeeping checked the rooms you occupied damage was discovered to two mattresses and you were charged accordingly. Photographic evidence and the replacement mattress invoices were sent to your email address.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I can't find a fault with the stay myself, my partner and my friend and her partner enjoyed, Close to all amenities we were a short walk to the centre. We stayed for a weekend, got to watch football in a friendly atmosphere, and as an added bonus we danced til 2 in the nightclub. Very friendly staff, reasonably priced drinks, kept clean. will return here.

Room Tip: We paid less because we had no ensuite, pay the extra
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple