“Convenient hotel with friendly service in the heart of the town”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Stamford, England, United Kingdom
“Convenient hotel with friendly service in the heart of the town”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The George Hotel was ideal for us arriving in Whitby by train, and the bar staff kindly took in our luggage when we arrived a couple of hours before check-in. The bars have an amazing variety of entertainments (and very attractively-priced beers and wines, too, including several real ales) for those who want them, but a "residents' door" off Baxtergate means that we did not have to go through these areas when we did not wish to. Our room on the second floor was not disturbed by sound from the bars, even on karaoke night, but noise from one man on the street was a bit of a problem on one night - but that is life in the town centre.

Our booking included a light breakfast which was fine for us but an extra £5 each would have bought us the full English if we'd wanted it. It was unfortunate that one had to pass through the morning cleaning of the bar area to get to breakfast but it is hard to see how this could be avoided in a building like this.

The en-suite room was excellent: on the small side but with almost everything we needed and obviously fairly recently refurbished. No coat hooks near the door was the only thing that marred it: I was tempted to nip into the hardware store next door and fit some myself! If it had rained I don't know where we'd have hung our macs. TV did not work the first evening and we discovered that too late to bother getting it fixed, but mentioned it at breakfast and it was OK when we returned from our day out for the second evening. Huge bath towels, soap and shampoo provided.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are a good compromise between quietness and stair climbing!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 405markw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We went with our 4 month old baby so as you can imagine we had a pram, carrycot, nappies, milk, bottles and out clothes and they put us on the top floor which was up several different stair cases the a winding stair case over 3 floors. It took us 3 trips when arriving and leaving. This was the only problem I had. The room was lovely the staff were nice and it was clean and in a good location near to food and attractions. The price was great and I would go back again if we could have a more sensible room!!

Room Tip: Unless you want to trek up a LOT of stairs I suggest you make sure you book a room with a bathroom a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
GeorgeHotelWhitby, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Hi,

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately all our non-en suite rooms are located on the top floor of the hotel and we do appreciate that there is quite a lot of stairs. As the hotel is a listed building it is not possible for us to add a lift, however staff will always help with any bags when required. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

For once I didn't use Trip Advisor before I booked a hotel, if I had I would have stayed clear of the George. The location near the station and harbour is good, but its downhill from there. The check-in is bizarre and you are asked to sign terms and conditions, which is no doubt due to previous guests causing damage, also the hotel advertises a £35 a night rate for an en-suite, which is bound to upset guests like me who had paid £50 via Booking.com. The room was very basic, generally clean apart from marks on the carpet. The cleaner might as well as not bothered. To cut a long story short, the priority for the George is the Bar, the hotel guests are secondary.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Nigel T
GeorgeHotelWhitby, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Hi, All guests are required to sign a guest registration form on check-in, this is standard for most hotels. The £35 price is based on two or more staying in a room. This is clearly stated on all signs. You were in a double room as single occupancy, so there is a reduction from £70 to £50 for single occupancy. I can assure you that the hotel is as much of a priority to us as the hotel bar is.

Travellers are raving about these Whitby hotels

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Luckily we never read the previous comments on TripAdvisor and booked into the George Hotel for three-days in midweek last September. There is no on site parking but the town car park is almost opposite and parking is available for 24 hours. The George is a lively pub and situated close to the centre of Whitby so everything is within a short stroll. The rooms are nice and clean and the breakfast choice satisfactory. The family all share chores so the service appears seamless and with a friendly touch. There was entertainment on at night and that made it a nice end to the day and a refreshing drink before going off to bed. We were never disturbed by the noise from the Karaoke when we retired for the night so can't say it was a problem. However a possible downside was that our room was on the front of the hotel and with no double glazing we could hear quite a bit of traffic noise early morning.

Room Tip: Probably try for a room at the rear of the hotel to reduce the risk of road noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hi, thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay here and we all look forward to welcoming you again in the future. With regards to the noise from the road due to no double glazing, the hotel is a grade 2 listed building and we are unable to install double glazed windows.
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have stopped here a few times, and tbh not had a problem, but I had never stopped on a Wednesday or a Thursday, I'm sorry but if you are disrupted by noise from the bar areas within the rooms you should be made aware of this, it goes on till at least half 12, and tbh it ruined my time here, do your self a favor, go to the angel hotel and go to the entertainment at the George if you want it at least you can sleep in peace. when I asked about the noise, I was offered a free drink......not exactly going to help my lack of sleep!

• Stayed February 2014
Hi, all guests are advised that as we offer live entertainment most nights some noise may be heard in rooms on the lower floors. This is displayed on our website, on your confirmation letter and on the guest registration form you would have signed on check-in.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for one night on the 18th of January with 3 of my friends and family we were advised at check in that they needed a card to make the booking which we paid in cash for we had two rooms booked which were left in good condition the next day.
4 days later I received a letter from the manager advising that there had been damage to the room and they had to replace a mattress and mattress topper in both rooms and the charge which had at this point had allready been taken off my card was the exact amount of £200.
I called the hotel to dispute this as this was an absolute lie and theft from myself I tried a for a whole day to contact the manager of the hotel in which time I was lied to twice and hung up on once by the staff before I even advised why I was calling.
eventually I spoke to him and asked if he had any proof ie receipts for the new mattresses and photos of the damage he advised that he did and he would forward them to me in an e mail but he is busy at the min and that he is off all weekend so it will not be any time soon as of yet I have had no reply and can not get back in touch with him at all
I work in the travel industry and have done for 15 years and know that this charge without receipts is actually just theft and also know that this has happened a few times before.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank 9065230
GeorgeHotelWhitby, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Our hotel policy clearly states that any damage to the hotel rooms the guest will be charged.
Upon arrival all guests sign a guest registration form stating this. When our housekeeping checked the rooms you occupied damage was discovered to two mattresses and you were charged accordingly. Photographic evidence and the replacement mattress invoices were sent to your email address.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I can't find a fault with the stay myself, my partner and my friend and her partner enjoyed, Close to all amenities we were a short walk to the centre. We stayed for a weekend, got to watch football in a friendly atmosphere, and as an added bonus we danced til 2 in the nightclub. Very friendly staff, reasonably priced drinks, kept clean. will return here.

Room Tip: We paid less because we had no ensuite, pay the extra
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple