“terrible”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
scotland
“terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

Had just finished treatment for lung cancer ,partner took me away for a surprise Oh boy did i get one .On arrival early they would not let us check in till exact minute ,Staff very ignorant ,very little sleep because of loud music ,bedroom very dusty and to crown the lot outside our bedroom door for three days lay bags of dirty washing ,how disgusting is that ,but you cannot complain as you would be asked you to vacate your room ,would be the last place i would reccomend

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

I was booked into the George Hotel by my office. My suspicions about the place were raised when full payment had to be made two weeks before the stay. I decided not to check out TripAdvisor before my visit as I had no alternatives and didn’t want to get even more depressed about the place before I got there!

All my suspicions were realised. As a lone female business visitor, I felt very out of place. There is no reception; booking in is done in a loud and very busy bar. I was directed to my room, the notorious Room 10. The room (a double) is small and dingy and looks out on to other rooms and a very large air-conditioning unit. The battered waste bin, that appeared to have been used as a football, sums it up really.

While the booking letter did mention the hotel/pub has an extensive programme of live performances and that rooms on the first floor (room 10 is on the second) may experience some noise, I was not prepared for the noise that started at 9:30pm and went on until mid-night. When that died down the constant noise from the air-conditioner went on until 7:30 am the next morning. I tried sleeping with the window closed, but the room is so stuffy, so that wasn’t an option.

I didn’t stay for the full cooked breakfast, but just grabbed some cereal, toast and a cup of tea (coffee is of the instant variety). Frankly, I couldn’t get out of the place quickly enough.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank chalkhills

Travellers are raving about these Whitby hotels

south shields
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

I would recomend the George hotel to anyone , for starters you dont go on a weekend away to stop in the hotel .The hotel itself is situated in a great spot close to everything you need to do and see in Whitby . The service was good, the rooms were clean and they had all you needed in them for how long you were going to be in their . Breakfast was good and the nite life good too. Theirs no parking but accoss the road their is a long stay carpark. We enjoyed the weekend and would definatly go back to the George hotel

Peterborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

The Hotel was situated in the perfect place - everything that we wanted was close. We were warned about the parking situation prior to arrival - that was helpful and as we knew where to go and to visit the Tourist Information for a parking ticket, it was not a problem. The staff were polite, helpful, attentive and made us feel welcome. The room was clean and a reasonable size. We were warned that there may be noise, however, we did not notice. Overall, I feel that I made the right choice of hotel and will be happy to stay there again.

redcar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

we stayed in the notorious room 10 on a Friday and Saturday night (my wife and I bove in our early sixties)
It is quite small but adequate and was spotless with the exception of dust in the uplighter lampshade.
on booking we were warned that there was a disco on on both nights until 2 in the morning but it should not be too big a problem in the room we had been allocated. In reality we heard no pub noise whatsoever, the only noise was the sound of an airconditioning fan outside which wasn't on throughout the night, in fact it's one of the quietest hotel rooms we have ever slept in
The double bed although a bit on the small size was very comfortable and all the bedding/towels were clean and in new condition.
To sum up much better than the reviews suggested

Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

It seems room 10 has not changed from other reviews I have read!! Room small (it would make a good single) Cleaning left a lot to be desired, when you look in the mirror you can see the dust etc on the light fitting. The air con going all the time, disco and street noise and the awful karaoke singers in the bar below on sundays made for very little sleep. Bags of laundry in the hall ways, a cot outside our door used to dump bags of laundry. They need a visit from the Hotel Inspector program. Our friends had the room next door, much bigger a nice bed and paid the same price we did!!
On a plus note the linen/towels were clean and the breakfast was adequate with good quality cereals and bread.
Location is great but the noise from the disco and street is dreadful.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
south yorks
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2009

its all been said in previouse reviews and one word sums this hotel up-HORRID.i am amazed they are allowed to trade as a hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple