“Wish I could be kinder...”

The Pier Inn Whitby
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Very friendly staff, but attention to detail is poor. I hate writing negative reviews when staff are nice, but it wouldn't take much to make this place better.... The bathroom had no-where to put anything down - a couple of shelves would make all the difference. The sink was so small the kettle had to be filled using a cup (I HATE cups - these were the wide, shallow type that cause drinks to go cold really quickly). If only, when the shower room was put in (into a corner taken out of an originally much larger room) they had used more of the width of the room and left a narrower entrance way - there would have been room for a larger shower and perhaps a decently-sized sink. Grouting around the shower was pretty repulsive and mildewed. Curtains in the bedroom were super-annoying: I had to stand on the bed to close them, because the curtain rail was of the adjustable type, and the curtain rings caught on the wider part of the rail and refused to draw shut. The window could only be opened by standing on the bed too, it was all a bit precarious. But the most unforgivable fault, which is absolutely inexcusable, is that the fitted sheet on the bed was too narrow for the bed (it was presumably a 2'6" sheet and a 3" bed) so it didn't fit the bed. All night long my feet kept getting tangled up in the flap of sheet that wouldn't fit over the edge of the mattress. Added to this was the badly stained mattress protector that was exposed by the lack of sheet covering, which is also inexcusable - it just needed washing, and whoever made the bed could hardly have failed to notice the staining on the corner or the fact that the sheet wouldn't fit. Breakfast was very nice - not brilliant but nice - although not served until 9.15 which we felt was too late. The place wasn't expensive to be fair, but the issue with the bedlinen was not acceptable. Had I realised earlier, I'd have asked for it to be changed but the pub below was in full swing by the time I discovered it, and I didn't really know at the time how badly this would affect my night's sleep. Would we stay again? No. But attention to some small details like shelving in the bathroom would make it a lot more attractive at the price.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the harbour but are noisier because they're directly on the road, although a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linden-s

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Great frontage looking onto the harbour with all rooms having a harbour view. Bloke behind bar didnt have much to say but helpful main receptionist/manageress made up what the blokes lacked. Larger towels than the hand size ones in bathroom please, otherwise a wholesome breakfast and plenty of tea & coffee.
Thanks for the 4 day parking permit. Would return because of location and price.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Ppeye
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We travelled across to Whitby from a day out at Beamish museum and we were going to arrive later than the requested check-in time. We rang ahead....not a problem. When we finally arrived we got a nice friendly welcome, and despite me being a strapping 6ft bloke, the guy who checked us in insisted in carrying our bags to our room.
We stayed in the family room, No. 8. Be prepared for stairs....lots of stairs, but it does add to the charm of the place, and to our 6 year old it just all added to the adventure. The room was great for our one night stay, TV, tea, coffee, biscuits....all the usual.. 2 single beds and a decent sized double, nice clean bedding and towels.

Other reviewers have mentioned noise from the pub below, but I have to say we heard absolutely nothing during our stay.

Morning came, good hot shower in the clean en-suite, and a damned good full English breakfast. There were plenty of other menu options, but I was on my holiday, so I opted for what was a deliciously cooked full plate.
The Pier Inn is in a great harbour side location, and for a one night stopover cannot be faulted.

*****Just to add******.....my daughter in her absent mindedness left a couple of items of clothing behind in the wardrobe. On discovering this I rang the Pier Inn.....They'd been found, and were returned to us by post a couple of days later...many, many thanks to you at the Pier Inn for your help, service, friendliness and honesty.

Room Tip: Room 8, fantastic views over the harbour and Whitby Abbey.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Simon S
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Ian and Julie make you feel very welcome and will help with any queries you may have. Breakfast was very good, chef Gary was very accommodating when I requested a mushroom omelette. I received a lovely surprise of a birthday cake in my room when returning from an evening out. This is an oldee building therefore the stairs up to rooms are steep and narrow which I found a bit hard going but as I requested, and got, a high floor, it was well worth the beautiful views. Rooms are pretty basic but clean and meet all you need for your stay.

Room Tip: Room 6 has fabulous views but be aware of stairs no good for elderly or disabled.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank hangoverlizzie
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Some of the reviews are a bit over the top. However, The Pier Inn will give you a lovely time and the staff will help for anything you need.
After years of staying in £150 a night corporate hotels, this is a breath of fresh air! The rooms are like a bedroom at home and tick all the boxes.
Be warned (this is not a complaint!) there are a lot of narrow stairs.
Will we be back? Yes!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the pier inn with friends and after reading recent reviews I must admit I was slightly anxious....however I found the inn to be clean and friendly . The location in relation to the towns shops and attractions was excellent. The rooms were clean and pleasant .the asthetics of the interior and exterior of the building were lovely. Although we ate out in the evenings the breakfasts were first class. The staff were friendly and helpful and had us chuckling at times with gentle whitty banter! I would definitely stay here again and plan to next year with my family. Also parking permits to guests are available.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We was in room 8 the family room, stairs can be a problem if you are not good on your legs. Room had a double bed and 2 singles with on suite bathroom with shower. Clean towels and clean bedding with extra bedspread on each bed if needed. The room from the top was great, had black out blinds which is a great idea. Breakfast was lovely had no complains. Great views. Music was loud and did not finish till 11.30 but your on holiday who cares.

Room Tip: If disabled ask for a parking permit you can park out side the place.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family