All reviewshonesty barsea viewguest housewatch the worldwhale bonesfull englishbreakfast choicesharbour entrancewest cliffbiscuitsbreakfast roomsea frontfamily roommini fridgelovely hotelgreat positiontoast
Reviewed 27 July 2014

booked really late notice and got the two single rooms that the hotel (4 & 15) has for 1 night. Hotel is in great position on the cliff top facing sea near the whale bones. We both had sea views and both rooms were a decent size and very clean. Teles, coffee, biscuits are provided in the room and a super shower which was needed after our walk to Staithes (about 11.5 miles). I used the 'Honesty' bar on the evening waiting for my son to get ready and it was comfy with decent priced drinks and you put your payment in tin. Kay and the Latvian lass who looks Swedish were very friendly and helpful. The scratchcard to park your car is easy and only costs a pound. The breakfast on the morning was lovely, cereal, drinks and a full english was all eaten and prepared us for another walk to Robin Hoods Bay (about 7.5 mile). Would defo stay there again, thank you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Riley044
Reviewed 14 July 2014

7 -13 July. I am a senior citizen. Since childhood I have been on holiday at least once a year. My family graduated from a caravan to guest houses, that had dragons ruling them. After my marriage my husband liked the comfort of 4 or 5* hotels. We stayed all over the British Isles, the continent, the mediteranian coast and islands and both east and west in America.
I needed a break after being ill and saw Sandbeck on Trip Advisor. It not only far out weighed ALL my expectations, I was relaxed and found the whole atmosphere so much better than in the large hotels, where I felt anonymous. Nothing was too much trouble for Kay and David and their staff.
I am currently trying to book again.

Room Tip: It is well worth asking for a sea view room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 66maddie
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed in the Sandbeck with my mum, sister and brother in law for three nights last week. My sister's double room had a huge bay window with a beautiful sea view. My mum and I had a single room each and both of these had sea views as well. All rooms were spotlessly clean.
The breakfasts were lovely with plenty of choice on offer and the staff were very friendly.
There is a very well stocked honesty bar too.
Whitby is a beautiful place to stay with lots to see and do. We will be back and will definitely stay at the Sandbeck again.
P.S. Sorry once again about the kettle incident David!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sweetie57
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just spent 20th to 22nd June at Sandbeck. Were really pleased with what room we had. Very clean, shower was a little not knowing how to get hot water through properly but we managed. Staff very friendly nothing to much trouble. Breakfast was lovely well presented. Will stay here again but next time will get a sea view room.

Room Tip: Room eleven back room was extremely quiet. Apart from the sea gulls
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank val g
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights 12th to 18th June. Room 7, very clean fresh room with lovely bay window and sea views. Staff were friendly but not intrusive. Excellent choice at breakfast time and food well presented. We love whitby and return often and have stayed in numerous guest houses and holiday cottages over the years but can honestly say this is one of the best.
It's just a shame that the free on street parking is now pay and display or disc zone. Luckily Kay the owner provided us with a permit that only cost £1 per day but feel the change may have an impact on some business's on the west cliff.
We would certainly use the Sandbeck again.

Room Tip: Bay rooms for great views and seating to relax and watch whitby go by!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple