“best views in whitby”

Khyber Mount Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
Khyber Mount Guest House
Ranked #149 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
leicester
“best views in whitby”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

we have only been here for the weekend but its location is fantastic! park the car and walk as it is close to everything.,and the views are second to none. Our room was spotlessly clean and although basic we thoroughly enjoyed it and would stay again.you are given the key and left alone which is what we like,and it is good value for money.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 7 and the view was amazing
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank elaineanddennis

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Myself, my husband and my teenage daughter normally stay at the Khyber mount guest house when visiting Whitby each year. We have stayed in most of the rooms and on every occasion the rooms have been very clean and the bed linen has also been clean and fresh. The beds are very comfortable and we have always slept well in them. We have always had rooms that have an ensuite, and the shower, toilet and sink have always been spotless. We have noticed after our stay this year at the beginning of May that the guest house has now been fitted with double glazing. The owner and staff are very friendly and have made us feel very welcome on all occasions and always tell us that if we need anything, extra towels etc, just ask. The breakfast is nice and not too over the top, and the home made Jam and Marmalade is fantastic. The views from the guest house are breath taking. We have noticed that each time we have visited over the years, rooms have been freshened up and looking at it decor of the establishment is a work in progress. The guest house remains very warm and homely. I would recommend anyone to give it a try, as it is also very reasonable cost wise and we always enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have great view. One room has separate annex ideal for families that have a teenage child...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Livingston, West Lothian
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I SENT AN EMAIL TO THE HOTEL, WHICH I WILL USE AS MY REVIEW

Dear Magda

First of all let me say that my stay at your establishment was the
worst experience I have ever had in B&B's (HOTEL ??) I have ever experienced and I have stayed in a number over my years.

On arrival I was greeted not with a hello but with a woman who could sparsely speak English who straight away TOLD me that my room was given away to two members of my club and that I was given their room without a ensuite.

My first question is that YOU were well aware these two rooms WERE booked in advance for ensuite's, so please can you explain as you failed to do so on the phone on Friday evening in where the other ensuite room had went too???

Also can you explain in why YOU never approached me as I had requested on Friday in regards to said room? When I spoke to the chap at breakfast, you still failed to approach me. I came across two staff members outside my room on Saturday morning, one was the foreign girl and another woman with blonde hair...was that YOU????

Let me explain that after a 4 hour journey and especially after my partner had been up since 5.15am for work that Friday Morning we were rather excited about getting into the hotel. However that feeling soon was changed to utter anger and doom in the way we were welcomed as mentioned above with someone who struggles with the command of the English language. I was advised that”I should call you!!" in the morning. In which I demanded that it is I who should be called by the manager right now! This took over 20 minutes to get this far.\

I was then asked for payment in which I refused to do until this problem and questions I asked were answered and resolved respectively, for which I am still waiting. I also have to let you know that my partner had brought no NIGHT CLOTHES, so during the night she had to get fully dressed to go and use the bathroom, this was frustrating and a complete inconvenience to her due to your lack of your management skill's.

When we got to our room I was flabbergasted in how you have managed to stay in business. First of all let’s look at Health & Safety. You had one socket in which an extension lead was connected to behind a Wardrobe, the kettle lead was attached to this in which laid on the floor, I assume that most people use kettles on a worktop and not the floor, could you imagine if a child stayed in that room and accidently tipped it over if it was freshly boiled????I was ALSO wondering if you can also advise me in when the Kettle was last checked inside......I will let you have a look, perhaps it will entice you to go and get a new one.....maybe, maybe not.

Can you also explain in why there was toothpaste spit in the sink??? Also why there was such a buildup of gung under the taps in which have never seen a clean since I do not know when, perhaps you feel it's good for customers to get some cross contamination whilst staying in your premises??

Let me move on to the bedding; is it customary for bed sheets to have hair on them within your place of business before the occupants sleep in the bed???/

I rather enjoyed the wall decor at what I can only assume to be small burn marks behind the headboard of our bed. FANTASTIC!!!! When was this room last ever painted???

The pattern of wine stains under the window was at least a trademark that someone once enjoyed a romantic evening in that room....in what year or decade is left to your imagination though!!

I rather enjoyed watching the TV (sitting on a unit) ...Oh I don’t mean the picture as you would struggle to see that through the static.

Continuing with the room theme, I noticed that the curtains were as fresh as..........no I’m kidding of course; actually they were as stale as old bread and would if half the chance unhook themselves and walk to the nearest washing machine.

Lets now move to the shower room in which you said "we would have exclusive use of" as if trying to ease your responsibilities to taking away our ensuite. I can tell you that this was not the case; the surprise in the toilet was unwelcoming to say the least. loved the shower cubicle and the dirt that was firmly engrained into the tiles, the shower head was also a good feature. I am aware that two members shower did not work, I can say ours did........from Luke warm to 3rd degree burns if one was not quick enough to get out the way!!

Now for breakfast. I did mention the faults to the chap who was serving but alas his lack of the English language was quite apparent. If you were there then again why did you not make yourself visible to me? Seems you only hire non speaking English staff to deal with English speaking guests.

Cutlery on the tables was unclean so much so that I a few others were changing knives and forks over from other tables, other words looking for the cleanliest ones to use (again mentioned to the chap serving). We were asked if we wanted tea or coffee, sadly that was the only question that was asked. We were giving toast or should I say one side was toast the other side was soft warm bread; perhaps a new toaster needed????) Then we were given breakfast, never to be asked if we wanted scrambled egg, poached egg or boiled egg, same for the rest of the breakfast, a veggie sausage served with bacon; I’m struggling to work that one out, was it a case of: if someone was a vegetarian then they would simply remove the bacon THEMSELF and hey presto instant veggie breakfast. Why oh why do you not ask your guests in what they would like to eat???? The icing on the cake for breakfast was in how cold the food was when served, the kitchen is in eye view and yet the food managed to come out cold???

I could go on, with a run down but I am confident that what you have read so far should disappoint you in how you run your own business, if it does not then that says it all does it not?

All in all you come across as unprofessional, uncaring to guests needs and wants, your lack in the basic skills of an hotelier is dumbfounding, the lack of basic hygiene maintenance in which should always be to the highest standard and second to nothing has left me extremely worried in where I have taken the steps to report this. Most alarming was the kettle and again this is the biggest danger to anyone staying in that room...more so for a young child.

As for payment then yes ............I am looking for a FULL REFUND on the cost of staying at your premises, money that I work hard for and not to give it away to 3rd rate accommodation. I even tried to look for another hotel Saturday afternoon. (I waited all morning for yourself too appear) Please feel free to answer back as I feel that I deserve that grace. Can you also answer; do you believe that you give value for money, if so WHERE?? Would you say that all expectations are met for guests who are new to your hotel/ B&B if so can you tell me what is your expectations; of what a customer should expect on arriving and staying?

I also read on your website that you do not take CC OR DC payments as you want to keep the cost low for your customers, you also do not do VAT receipts nor PayPal, is this also so you can keep prices down?

I will not apologize for the length of the wording on this email, nor will I back down on my stand in regards to how I feel. I will endeavor that you will seriously consider my request and will come back in doing the right thing, as that will at least say that; you do actually care for your customers .

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Ricky B

Travellers are raving about these Whitby hotels

United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We have stayed at Khyber Mount several times for two reasons; the location and the view (and our love of Whitby). I totally agree with previous reviewer, it desperately needs a revamp; furniture and furnishings so very old and tired. Have seen nothing renewed or replaced on any of the occasions we have stayed. Compared to similarly priced B&Bs elsewhere, this one offers nothing whatsoever to make it special or to make visitors feel special; towels and bedding are old, outdated and very worn, carpets and curtains are on their last legs, wallpaper and paint equally tired. Clean? not expecially and we found some childs underwear under a bed on one occasion. Do not get me started on the breakfast! Full English?! Perhaps the cook should visit a transport cafe to discover what a full Englsh breakfast looks and tastes like - and those cardboard sausages ...

Room Tip: rooms with a sea view make everything else worthwhile
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GJLancs
hartlepool
Reviewed 19 June 2011

the Khyber mount guest house is situated on the west cliff with all bedroom views facing the abbey.we had two family rooms,both spotless clean as they were 7 family members in our group.the rooms we very spacious with new toliet,basins and showers in both rooms.the guest house is a short walk from whitbys main amenities.the land lady was very friendly and made me and my family feel very welcome.a plus for this guest house was the avalibility of a iron on request,which is always a big thumbs up from me as not all guest houses ive visited offer this option.my bed was very comfy and i slept like a log.breakfast was fie and had the little extra of homemade marmalade and jam.service was quick and may i suggest you try the marmalade.the best stay ive had in whibty and didnt hesitate to book up for 3 nights in august.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Tamworth
Reviewed 11 April 2010

We stayed at the Khyber Mount for one night only, we didnt book in advance so they did accommodate us very quickly and we were given our keys immediately. Simply put it was ok for the one night. Rooms very basic, tv didnt work, no iron and ladies beware NO hairdryer, we asked to borrow one from the ladies who worked there but they said they didnt have one, so take your own. Views were amazing and well worth the £63 for the night but I wouldnt go back. Breakfast left a bad taste in the mouth all day.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brownburger
Devon
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Good Value B and B, Nice view from room. However Breakfast poor, Very old TV and no reception in room. Very noisey at night as right by road and no double glazing, No parking. Staff friendly.

Summary - Good value B and B but you get what you pay for

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple