“Pleasant stay but some further refurbishment required.”

Khyber Mount Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
Khyber Mount Guest House
Ranked #149 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
Telford, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay but some further refurbishment required.”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Booked four nights in en suite room for a short break in Whitby. Had problems parking on arrival but young Polish helper at the Guest House insisted in helping carry cases from our car. So conveniently sited to attractions, car was not required for remainder of stay. Allocated room 7 with wonderful views across the harbour. Room was fine although bathroom was a little small but everything worked and was clean. Kettle was on small table with plentiful supply of coffee and tea bags. Good reception on TV. Breakfast was basic but perfectly adequate with clean cutlery. Efforts are being made to improve the property. Very polite owner and staff member mentioned earlier who had only just started work at the Guest House but seemed keen to help.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlynBowen

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Staying at khyber guest house wasn't what i expected the walls were damp couldnt see the abbey because the window was filthy it drove me mad so i ended up cleaning it i couldnt have a cuppa because the kettle inside was cached with rust so i waited for breakfast that was annoying because all i kept getting asked was "would you like tea or coffee? Not what would you like for breakfast but i have to admit they were very polite

• Stayed October 2012

Travellers are raving about these Whitby hotels

Bradford
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Back in September, I was strapped for a place to book in Whitby (mainly due to the popular Goth festival that was taking place between Halloween and Bonfire Night, but also partly because of my own foolishness of putting off booking a place until later), but luckily, I was able to find an available room in this place through IKnow's Last Minute Hotels feature. As it was the only available place I could find at that time, I went ahead and made the booking.

The guest house itself is situated high up on the west side of Whitby, which was very convenient for me and my partner as it is only a 3-minute walk away from the Spa Pavilion, where the main music event of the Goth festival is held. The house is also within easy walking distance of the rest of the town, so you can take your time to go round and do what you want, and then come back and rest whenever you've finished for the day.

At £59 per night for a couple staying in a non-ensuite room, the price was tolerable. I didn't mind the washroom being separate from the bedroom. The room my partner and I were in was on the top floor of 3 storeys. While it wasn't fun dragging my luggage all the way up, and back down again at the end of my stay, it was well worth it for the perfect view of Whitby Abbey as the window faces it straight on.

Although the room was small, it had all the essentials and more. The bed was suitably comfortable, at least 3 towels were provided, there was adequate space inside each ot the cabinets, the TV had good reception and showed all of the set top box's channels perfectly, and we even had our own coffee pot and wash basin by the bed. There were a couple of downsides about the room, however: Firstly, the set top box only had all of the BBC's channels, so no ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 or any of the other Freeview channels. Secondly, the wall facing the Abbey had what looked like damp areas on either side. The cause of this was unknown, but ultimately, my partner and I never let it or the BBC-only set top box bother us.

We missed out on breakfast in our first morning due to sleeping in, but when we had it every other morning, the service was again very satisfactory. The full English breakfast was delicious, and there was plenty of cereal, toast and tea available.

All in all, we had a very pleasant experience at this guest house. The 2 people running the place were always on hand whenever we needed help and any areas in which the house potentially struggles are easily forgiven.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with IKnowUK

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night and wished we could have stayed longer. The room we had was large with fantastic views of the beach and the abby. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly without being intrusive. My only criticism would be that the breakfasts are a little basic, better quality sausages and larger portions would have made it better. Other than that, a great guesthouse ideally situated, we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KCDurham72
wigan
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We have been visiting this guest house for 16 - 17 years now as we love Whitby and have always liked Khyber mount. It has always been lovely and clean and the breakfasts have been excellent. However...... Last year we stayed there and left feeling really disappointed as it was far from the Khyber Mount that we had known from the past. We thought that maybe the 'newish' owners were finding their feet and that it would improve? .......How wrong were we? We have just stayed again for the last time EVER unless a new management take over! I have never before felt as though I couldn't sleep for feeling like i was crawling with God only knows what! We were given 2 double rooms, rooms 4 and 5. My girls shared one and my husband and I had the other. After 2 mins of first seeing the rooms I had regrets. I had to ask for a clean pillow case on our bed as the one that was on was filthy. The carpet was so dirty it was sticky. The headboard on the bed was stained , big yellow stains, and the curtains were stiff they were so dirty, not to mention ill fitting! even the wallpaper was disgusting, with dirty big marks all over. The management provide sachets of coffee and milk and a kettle, so at the end of the night I decided to have a coffe whilst watching the latter part of the olympic opening ceromony.......not! The kettle can only be described as a health hazard. Inside, it was dark brown stained and just full of limescale, needless to say that a hot drink was out of the question. So, about the TV that we tried to watch...not happening! It is an old, small ancient TV that does not work through lack of a proper ariel. No proper picture. only static. From arriving at the guest house I flung the window open to try and rid the room of the stale air and freshen it up . . . .and then onto my girls' room, no.4, Well .... a copy of our room only with the added smell of a mattress that has been wet (urine wet) and not fully washed and aired...disgusting. We did try and get another b+b near by but had no luck. Now the bathroom, the one on the ground floor. The soap dispener grew its own form of penicillin I think! There was a thick rim of brown, gungy looking jelly like substance around the nozzle. But, better than that, the toilet actually rocked from side to side....It wasn't even fastened to the floor properly, hence the stained CARPET around the toilet!! On the second night, I had to cover the sheeets with my dressing gown and cover the pillows with my husbands t shirts, just so I could lessen the anxiety of my lying in this bed.... It was either that or all 4 of us go and sleep in the car. And breakfast, oh the breakfast, well I'm not even going there, just read other reviews! This cost £218 for 2 nights, and they ask for payment on arrival. I wonder why??? Please heed this warning......It's bad.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank rachelWigan
Rotherham
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Looking for a 1 night stay for 3 ladies on a saturday night in Whitby turned out to be difficult as every one i telephoned had a 2 night minimum, therefore, despite alarm bells ringing from some of the reviews at the last minute i booked the Khyber Mount Guest House paying £95 for a room for 3. After staying there i can now understand why they do one night stays (no-one would stay 2 nights!) and why it was 1 of the few guest houses with vacancies. Everything about this guest house fell well short of the basic standards you would expext. Cleanliness, bed linen, towels, furniture & breakfast all sub-standard,however, the one positive was the young eastern european housekeeper who was very pleasant and seemed to be running this establisment single handed. Our views of this establishment were shared with other guests we spoke to who were equally as upset with issues of cleanliness. You have been warned....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Dawn M
leicester
Reviewed 16 June 2012

we have only been here for the weekend but its location is fantastic! park the car and walk as it is close to everything.,and the views are second to none. Our room was spotlessly clean and although basic we thoroughly enjoyed it and would stay again.you are given the key and left alone which is what we like,and it is good value for money.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 7 and the view was amazing