“Accused of lying about disability and abused by housekeeper”

Khyber Mount Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
Khyber Mount Guest House
Ranked #149 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
London
“Accused of lying about disability and abused by housekeeper”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed at Khyber Lodge recently, and booked the place as a couple. Upon booking we were told it slept six, and so we allowed our friends who were also looking for accommodation in Whitby to have the spare bedroom.
The place itself wasn't too bad - it appeared clean and tidy. However, unfortunately on the last night, I suffered a fit whilst returning to the cottage, and was knocked unconscious. I spent 4 hours unconscious in the street whilst my friends and partner frantically tried to find me. Eventually the police found me at 6am and returned me to the cottage - distressingly having ignored the serious head injury I'd sustained, and that I was freezing cold from spending the night unconscious in a drain on the side of the road and was still extremely confused and barely conscious. I was palmed off as being drunk.....despite my insistence that I have a medical condition and was NOT drunk.
None of us got any sleep that night. He contacted the landlady to say we'd had a complete medical crisis and would it be possible to check out slightly later. She agreed. 2 minutes past this time, the housekeeper barged in shouting at us to get out, that we were clearly making it all up and trying to get extra time for nothing. She said there was nothing wrong with me and I was a liar, and we would be charged for having allowed other people to stay in the flat with us - despite being told it slept 6, and there not even being 6 sleeping there. We told her if she thought we were lying, then she could contact the police for the report regarding the incident. As if the massive swelling on the side of my head wasn't proof enough. Her response was "I don't care, the landlady is fuming, get out"
As we got in to the car, we realised we'd left some items behind and when we went to retrieve them, the housekeeper refused to allow us to collect them and again told us we were liars and to get out.
As a result, we had to cancel the card used to pay, to avoid being charged for 'making up' an incident which actually resulted with us checking out and going to Whitby hospital, only to be transferred to Scarborough for an urgent CT scan by ambulance chaperone. I've been told that it could be months before my brain function is back to normal again, and have been left exceptionally distressed by the abuse hurled at me and blatant lack of sympathy in what turned out to be a serious medical emergency. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Strangely, we haven't heard a peep out of the landlady since we left...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank EllieWGW

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Catterick, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and i stayed in this room [ 3 ] it was a large room costing us £72 , a double bed and two singles...think it was the only one left .. we didn't think we shouldn't of paid full price for that room when there was only the two of us , [Still that bit is done ], Now getting on to the room , the view was nice as its on top of the cliff ,it was on the ground floor and had a on suite ,the on suite was so dirty and a smell was coming from the carpet around the bottom of the sink area, the bed felt damp and room musty , the pillows was stained , and I joke you not , I ended up with two bites next morning , you can see the damp coming out of the walls , we will not be going their again , as they say you learn from your mistakes ... NEEDS UPGRADING that's for sure .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Val T

Travellers are raving about these Whitby hotels

lincolnshire, uk
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

Myself my partner and 2 children stayed here last august. Had a large room at the top with fantastic views of the harbour and the sea. On suite was very cramped but room was huge split into 2. Only gripe was that i had to ask the girl to switch the hot water on when we needed a shower. Overall the place needs a complete revamp but its certainly not the worst b&b we have stayed in. The staff are polite and the breakfast was okay. Would stay there again if only for the amazing views.

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We booked a reservation online and at 3 pm the day before we were due to make the 5 and a half hour drive to Whitby we get an Email stating:

Please note that regretfully we CANNOT accommodate you for one night at Khyber Mount Guest House. We had literally just taken a booking before we updated the website.

Why this wasn't sent at 9am I don't know - unprofessional.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Faye200
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Booked four nights in en suite room for a short break in Whitby. Had problems parking on arrival but young Polish helper at the Guest House insisted in helping carry cases from our car. So conveniently sited to attractions, car was not required for remainder of stay. Allocated room 7 with wonderful views across the harbour. Room was fine although bathroom was a little small but everything worked and was clean. Kettle was on small table with plentiful supply of coffee and tea bags. Good reception on TV. Breakfast was basic but perfectly adequate with clean cutlery. Efforts are being made to improve the property. Very polite owner and staff member mentioned earlier who had only just started work at the Guest House but seemed keen to help.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlynBowen
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Staying at khyber guest house wasn't what i expected the walls were damp couldnt see the abbey because the window was filthy it drove me mad so i ended up cleaning it i couldnt have a cuppa because the kettle inside was cached with rust so i waited for breakfast that was annoying because all i kept getting asked was "would you like tea or coffee? Not what would you like for breakfast but i have to admit they were very polite

• Stayed October 2012
Bradford
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Back in September, I was strapped for a place to book in Whitby (mainly due to the popular Goth festival that was taking place between Halloween and Bonfire Night, but also partly because of my own foolishness of putting off booking a place until later), but luckily, I was able to find an available room in this place through IKnow's Last Minute Hotels feature. As it was the only available place I could find at that time, I went ahead and made the booking.

The guest house itself is situated high up on the west side of Whitby, which was very convenient for me and my partner as it is only a 3-minute walk away from the Spa Pavilion, where the main music event of the Goth festival is held. The house is also within easy walking distance of the rest of the town, so you can take your time to go round and do what you want, and then come back and rest whenever you've finished for the day.

At £59 per night for a couple staying in a non-ensuite room, the price was tolerable. I didn't mind the washroom being separate from the bedroom. The room my partner and I were in was on the top floor of 3 storeys. While it wasn't fun dragging my luggage all the way up, and back down again at the end of my stay, it was well worth it for the perfect view of Whitby Abbey as the window faces it straight on.

Although the room was small, it had all the essentials and more. The bed was suitably comfortable, at least 3 towels were provided, there was adequate space inside each ot the cabinets, the TV had good reception and showed all of the set top box's channels perfectly, and we even had our own coffee pot and wash basin by the bed. There were a couple of downsides about the room, however: Firstly, the set top box only had all of the BBC's channels, so no ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 or any of the other Freeview channels. Secondly, the wall facing the Abbey had what looked like damp areas on either side. The cause of this was unknown, but ultimately, my partner and I never let it or the BBC-only set top box bother us.

We missed out on breakfast in our first morning due to sleeping in, but when we had it every other morning, the service was again very satisfactory. The full English breakfast was delicious, and there was plenty of cereal, toast and tea available.

All in all, we had a very pleasant experience at this guest house. The 2 people running the place were always on hand whenever we needed help and any areas in which the house potentially struggles are easily forgiven.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with IKnowUK