“Filthy”

Khyber Mount Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
Khyber Mount Guest House
Ranked #149 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Filthy”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed here on a girlie weekend away in July 2013, the place is like fawlty towers. The only two good things about the place where the wonderful views and the location. It's filthy. Stay there at you peril.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marjorie M

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

my girlfriend and I stayed at the Khyber in 2012,we still shudder at the memory.
firstly the staff were rude and deceitful.,At best,downright incompetent.Upon arrival,the room we had booked suddenly became unavailable.the room we ended up staying in was appalling,filthy,uncleaned,disgusting,We were informed that due to ecological reasons,the towels would not be fresh every day,however we didn't realise this meant sharing bodily fluids with the last guests,and also we would get up close with previous guests pubic hair in the bedding. .At midnight we were sat on a bench on the cliff top,dreading going back in to face this room.We both slept fully clothed with hoods and hats to minimise contact with the bedding.
If you value your self respect and sanity,avoid this place at all costs,however if you fancy a 'Bargain 70;s holiday experience in Eastern Europe experience' then,this is the place for you.

Room Tip: anywhere but here
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank candycane2013
London
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed at Khyber Lodge recently, and booked the place as a couple. Upon booking we were told it slept six, and so we allowed our friends who were also looking for accommodation in Whitby to have the spare bedroom.
The place itself wasn't too bad - it appeared clean and tidy. However, unfortunately on the last night, I suffered a fit whilst returning to the cottage, and was knocked unconscious. I spent 4 hours unconscious in the street whilst my friends and partner frantically tried to find me. Eventually the police found me at 6am and returned me to the cottage - distressingly having ignored the serious head injury I'd sustained, and that I was freezing cold from spending the night unconscious in a drain on the side of the road and was still extremely confused and barely conscious. I was palmed off as being drunk.....despite my insistence that I have a medical condition and was NOT drunk.
None of us got any sleep that night. He contacted the landlady to say we'd had a complete medical crisis and would it be possible to check out slightly later. She agreed. 2 minutes past this time, the housekeeper barged in shouting at us to get out, that we were clearly making it all up and trying to get extra time for nothing. She said there was nothing wrong with me and I was a liar, and we would be charged for having allowed other people to stay in the flat with us - despite being told it slept 6, and there not even being 6 sleeping there. We told her if she thought we were lying, then she could contact the police for the report regarding the incident. As if the massive swelling on the side of my head wasn't proof enough. Her response was "I don't care, the landlady is fuming, get out"
As we got in to the car, we realised we'd left some items behind and when we went to retrieve them, the housekeeper refused to allow us to collect them and again told us we were liars and to get out.
As a result, we had to cancel the card used to pay, to avoid being charged for 'making up' an incident which actually resulted with us checking out and going to Whitby hospital, only to be transferred to Scarborough for an urgent CT scan by ambulance chaperone. I've been told that it could be months before my brain function is back to normal again, and have been left exceptionally distressed by the abuse hurled at me and blatant lack of sympathy in what turned out to be a serious medical emergency. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.
Strangely, we haven't heard a peep out of the landlady since we left...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank EllieWGW
Catterick, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My husband and i stayed in this room [ 3 ] it was a large room costing us £72 , a double bed and two singles...think it was the only one left .. we didn't think we shouldn't of paid full price for that room when there was only the two of us , [Still that bit is done ], Now getting on to the room , the view was nice as its on top of the cliff ,it was on the ground floor and had a on suite ,the on suite was so dirty and a smell was coming from the carpet around the bottom of the sink area, the bed felt damp and room musty , the pillows was stained , and I joke you not , I ended up with two bites next morning , you can see the damp coming out of the walls , we will not be going their again , as they say you learn from your mistakes ... NEEDS UPGRADING that's for sure .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Val T
lincolnshire, uk
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

Myself my partner and 2 children stayed here last august. Had a large room at the top with fantastic views of the harbour and the sea. On suite was very cramped but room was huge split into 2. Only gripe was that i had to ask the girl to switch the hot water on when we needed a shower. Overall the place needs a complete revamp but its certainly not the worst b&b we have stayed in. The staff are polite and the breakfast was okay. Would stay there again if only for the amazing views.

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We booked a reservation online and at 3 pm the day before we were due to make the 5 and a half hour drive to Whitby we get an Email stating:

Please note that regretfully we CANNOT accommodate you for one night at Khyber Mount Guest House. We had literally just taken a booking before we updated the website.

Why this wasn't sent at 9am I don't know - unprofessional.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Faye200
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Booked four nights in en suite room for a short break in Whitby. Had problems parking on arrival but young Polish helper at the Guest House insisted in helping carry cases from our car. So conveniently sited to attractions, car was not required for remainder of stay. Allocated room 7 with wonderful views across the harbour. Room was fine although bathroom was a little small but everything worked and was clean. Kettle was on small table with plentiful supply of coffee and tea bags. Good reception on TV. Breakfast was basic but perfectly adequate with clean cutlery. Efforts are being made to improve the property. Very polite owner and staff member mentioned earlier who had only just started work at the Guest House but seemed keen to help.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple