“Quirky But Nice”
Review of La Rosa Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
La Rosa Campsite
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked the 'LA Rosa' for my friends Hen weekend. We booked the Crows Nest and also the Caravan room. Full place is very quirky and you really do have to see it to appreciate / appreciate it. The Crow's Next' slept 6 of us. Nice rooms but there was no fridge in the living area which was frustrating as we had a hot weekend. We booked a table in the hotel for the Friday evening which was in the basement. They cooked us a big Chilli on the evening which was nice but not amazing for the price. The staff however was fantastic. They could not do enough for us. Even planning the vacation over the telephone and e-mail they were fantastic.
I hate to be negative but it could have done to be a bit cleaner, our sheets were not the cleanest and our room needed a good hoover but an amazing experience with great staff and in a great location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 May 2014

You either love it or you hate it. Quirky doesn't even begin to describe the gothic eccentricity of this hotel, with its myriad of Victorian ornaments and knick knacks, candles everywhere, and furnishings which appear to come from dusty antique shops. This hotel combines shabby chic with gothic gloom, and it is definitely not to everyone's taste, including my husbands.

We were initially booked into 'Little Red', but our horror at just HOW small this room is (massive four poster bed with fur rug, but otherwise no room to swing a small mouse and certainly nowhere to hang any clothes) lead us to enquire about the availability of other rooms. Luckily there was a cancellation and we got into the 'Saloon'. This was bigger, with a vaguely wild west theme to it, including a large cow skull over the bed, and an absolutely massive copper bath in the gloomy bathroom. The bed was comfortable, but one of us (me) had to sleep up against the wall which wasn't ideal if you needed the loo in the night.

Breakfast arrived in a picnic basket, and it was very nice, but every surface in the room was cluttered with assorted items, such as an antique typewriter and a banjo, and we struggled to find anywhere to unpack the basket and eat the breakfast. There is no TV or phone in the room, and for those of a nervous disposition, it would be a bit spooky at night if you were on your own. The other thing to note was that the higher furnishings were very dusty, including the cow horns and the light fittings, and I spent most of the weekend sneezing.

We were staying with a group of friends and on Sunday evening we gathered in the basement for a private function. It looked very pretty, with hundreds of tealights in little tea cups dotted all round the bar. It seemed rather romantic until I leaned back whilst in the bar area and my hair caught fire. Luckily my husband spotted it immediately and a whack on the back of my head prevented me from losing all my hair, but something perhaps the management should take into account when setting them up at neck height behind the seating.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and residents can have free cups of tea when downstairs in the tea room or the library.

I did like this hotel, but I must admit that the novelty wore off by the second night. It is definitely somewhere to try if you like unusual experiences, but if you like the normal hotel comforts this is not for you.

NB: The hotel is not in the same location as the campsite. Parking at the hotel is either pay and display or disc zone.

Room Tip: Try to pick a room at the front of the hotel as they have nice views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lynne H
Reviewed 24 May 2014

we were the only guests on the site as it was a damp mid week in May so we were given the run of the place and choice of vans. we chose 'Tinkers'. Tinkers van is a new age traveler-style large van full of quirky knick knacks. It is lined with wood paneling and is probably the warmest van on site, It is definitely the cosiest.There is a wood burning pot bellied stove which blasts out heat. there are also smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, which is re-assuring. there is a sink which is plumbed in so you can put water in it and it will drain away. I wonder if it is possible to have the water tank filled so you could have water in the van? the stove gets hot enough to boil a kettle on and we used it to warm up stuff in pans. I bet you could cook a stew on it if you had the patience. despite the rain we were toasty warm in our van and did all our cooking on the wood burner. There is a very comfy large double bed in tinkers. there is an extra child sized mattress you could pull out and a very cute baby crib built in above the double bed. not sure if it's actually still suitable for a baby but it might be.
Tinkers van is located in the bottom field close to the house and shower block . there are another vans arranged around a square central areal with picnic tables and a fire pit. the whole site is decorated with lanterns.
we had a look round all the other Vans. the one next to tinkers is the 'Elvis' Van which is a large caravan with a mirrored fire place and wood-burning stove. this would have been my 2nd choice had tinkers been full because the bed is at one end with the sofa being in-front of the stove. the other vans have the beds in front of the stove.
all the vans are very pretty inside
The next van round is 'la rosa' which has the prettiest fireplace and etched glass. then a slightly smaller van which has lots of pictures of Mary and Jesus in it,
the kitchen area is clean and very cute. gas rings for cooking table and chairs etc.
the loo is up away from the kitchen and vans in a wooden hut. it is a compost loo. not too bad smell wise. could do with a scoop for the sawdust though.
the outside bath area is enchanting. we had a twilight bath when the fairy lights were on. of course with it being in a grove of trees you have to sluice out the bath of leaves first but it is clean. The water is piping hot. it takes a while to fill up but it is well worth the wait to have a hot bath under the stars in a magical grove of trees.
we used the showers once in our stay. very pretty but water not as warm as the bath and needs to be run first to get it going.
we only went up to the top field once, due to the weather we stayed in our cozy van all the time.
the top field is however pretty magical, the big top was fun and would be a great place to hang out if you were a large group. the dressing up rack could do with some fresh stuff adding and fairy wings etc would be nice. however plenty of comfy seats lots of space to cook.
the 6 or 7 vans in the top field do not have wood burners and are a lot smaller than the ones in the bottom field. however if the weather is fair and there are a large group of you then I'd go for the top field.
bottom field is definitely more convenient for the loo, shower, bath and the fridges which are at the front of the house near the sweet shop van also your car is closer.
the drive to the site was not as bad as expected and our hyundai i30 managed it.
didn't see the Mr toad van or blue beard or swallow barn, due to us being too lazy to walk anywhere in the rain (rain storm) but we will next time we go.
almost forgot, you get free tea / coffee if you go to the hotel during your stay on the campsite.
in summary, the site is very pretty with lots of lanterns and looks like fairyland at night. it is great for romance but would be great for kids too.
the owner Amanda is lovely and she leaves you to do own thing but will offer help when needed.

Room Tip: tinkers van is the most cozy with best bed. want to try swallow barn and Mr Toad and Blue Beard'...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny3hats
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We just happend upon the La Rosa yesterday and spent a great night away.
The staff were low key and open.
We were allowed to take a look at a couple of rooms and we chose to stay in the quirky 'Stoker' room, really comfy, amazing view, peaceful, curious, lots of tea, fabulous bath!
Unusual but easy too.
We enjoyed Whitby but were delighted to get back to the hotel where we had a great nights sleep and really enjoyed the breakfast.
A little expensive for a night but worth it for the experience.
Fabulous!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline B
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a real treat. Completely different to your usual experience, the staff are great and the rooms are a real change from the norm. For a trip into wonderland, book here, only don't expect your usual hotel trappings: there was no toast and no cereal and no shower, but there was a massive bath and very fresh cheese scones. Give in to the experience! Recommended for anyone who wants to step into the world of Moulin Rouge and Alice in Wonderland.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Mister_Ted
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at La Rosa and just wanted to say how wonderful a hotel this is. We stayed in the Stoker room (the clue is in the title to its theme) which has a balcony and view looking straight at the abbey. The room has ensuite with the biggest roll top bath ever. Decorated beautifully, no intrusive tv, but there is free wifi.

If you are looking for something totally different, quirky with an overwhelming Victorian feel, La Rosa is the place for you. You get a picnic breakfast brought to your room, you can have tea in the library and the staff are lovely, really friendly and just a great place to stay. We absolutely loved our stay, can't recommend La Rosa enough!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jo g
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had booked a 1night stay at another hotel but upon arrival was not to my taste. I had earlier passed 'La Rosa' and saw it had vacancies so booked for the night. From the moment you step inside it's magical! So many things to marvel at. Apparently all the rooms are themed and everything is sourced from flea markets, car boots etc. It's shabby chic Victorian style! I stayed in Little Red and although there isn't a sea view it doesn't matter. The room is Red Riding Hood themed complete with red velvet cape hung on the door! Luxurious 4poster bed with a huge ' wolf fur' throw and cushions. Lovely fluffy towels and en suite with shower.( some rooms have baths but I like a shower) Although the shower/toilet is small it wasn't really an issue other than a bit dark for getting made up! I unpacked and went down to the tea room to wait for my friends.Tea in china cups or fresh brewed coffee on tap while you look out to sea or at the many curios and weird and wonderful objects. In the morning as promised a picnic basket delivered to your door full of fresh wholesome food. (If you like fry ups this place isn't for you!) You don't have to check out until 12(bliss) and you can have breakfast at whatever time before that. I cannot describe how wonderful, unique and magical this place is...I intend to visit regularly and try the campsite as well. What a wonderful concept. Congratulations to the owners. I didn't get the name of the lady who booked me in, served me tea and I presume breakfast but she was lovely. Only 2 suggestions for this room which could make it a bit better. A mirror near the window as I struggled to see into any of the many various sized mirrors to do my makeup and hair, which were mostly in poor light (we ladies like to look our best you know) and a small chair to sit on. A truly remarkable and special place. An attraction in its own right. If you can't stay at least visit the tearoom!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo