“Rude Locals”
Review of The Fleece

The Fleece
Ranked #6 of 16 Nightlife in Whitby
Reviewed 5 June 2014

A few years ago this was a bit of a "locals" pub with average beer and poorly-kept hand-pull.

Then in changed ownership and was joint-run with another pub in Church Street and things improved a lot. Beer was well-kept, the lines were cleaned regularly and the staff were polite and chatty.

Unfortunately, it has changed ownership again and gone back to the bad old ways. Beer is poorly kept. However, we went there one night in December 2012 because they were showing the Monday Night Football.

There was an individual stood at the bar who was using a lot of foul language (and I mean at least three f-words in every sentence). He wasn't some young daft kid, but a man in his fifties!

There was a mix of people in that night, mostly supporting Newcastle (including a couple of MU supporters), but one or two supporting the other team (Fulham).

The unpleasant individual made a point of letting the entire pub he was a Liverpool fan and made a point of supporting Fulham, He was particularly abusive towards us because of our Geordie accents. None of the bar staff told him to "pipe down" or discourage him in any other way to curb his abusive behaviour even though I asked the landlady to have a word with him. If they are happy to serve obnoxious locals, then so be it.

Needless to say, we haven't been back since...

Lee M, Owner at The Fleece, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

I'd just like to respond by saying this was a review from 2013, as of April 2014, The Fleece has new owners, myself and my partner Carla. We take pride in running a friendly, welcoming pub with great beer. Bad lauguage like that is not allowed in our house! I hope you visit again and I'm sure you'll have a better experience.