“Really Good Food”

Price range: US$6 - US$57
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We ate here on our coast to coast walk and stayed the night. As a b and b it was perfectly fine but the food was excellent. I had pork in peppercorn cream sauce - wonderful, served with a huge selection of well cooked fresh vegetables by a friendly young waiter. Do try it.

1  Thank ceci1950

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Party of 5 was expecting a good evening meal after long days walk. Interior looked a bit tired but menu seemed ok. Were looking forward to a good steak and going by the price of this and the other meals had every expectation. The others had some chicken smothered in cheese and rather greasy chips. No steak knife was provided but doubt a surgeons scalpel would have cut the steak. On complaint the plate was taken away to do what with the steak was not made clear. It returned just as the others finished their meal with the statement 'that the worst bit had been cut off'. It had but the rest was still inedible. No apology and we left having paid for the other meals and drinks. Very disappointing experience and far removed from their slogan. We really hope that other clients have a much better meal as this is one of the few places on the C to C route in Glaisdale where you can eat.

Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Made to feel very welcome on arrival, not lots of choice for lunch time menu but what we had was very nice. Staff very pleasant. Would call again...

Reviewed 23 June 2013

I stopped for a drink and lunch at the Arncliffe during June 2013 and was disappointed to find that my first 2 choices of beer were not available and the food was and I am sorry to say - awful. I had a sandwich with a side of chips. The chips were the worst ever - dripping in fat and soggy. I also noticed that there were groups of American tourists who seemed to be there due to prior arrangement with the travel company and landlord. Fortunately, for the Arncliffe, the tourists seemed to think the food was acceptable and were very gracious. All i can say is that that yanks think dirty dank interior, bad food, satellite TV and empty beer casks is typically british and "twee"
I dont know the situation with regards to the management however I do know potentially they are sitting on a little goldmine and the manager/landlord needs to up his anti - be more socialable, get to grips with stock and sort out the food. What he needs to remember is that tourists do re-visit areas so there is futuristic business however I and I am sure others wll drive past the Arncliffe when next on the Moors. Very, very disappointed.

1  Thank DBBDevon
Reviewed 12 May 2013

This is not the norm ... but here I go.
My friend and his missus (plus son) intend to stay at the Arncliffe on their visit from the USA in June.
I was shocked to read the most recent review , and have just noticed (before typing) that that the person who wrote the most recent review, had given such low marks to the Arncliffe.
In accessing Trip Advisor, to start this write up, I noticed that this same person had also given bad reviews to other establishments in the locality.
No matter - and by a stroke of luck - this being Sunday 12th May 2013 - I attended the quiz at my local pub as usual.
It came to pass in conversation (in between questions) that my friend Fred with his sister , had visited the Arncliffe today for Sunday Lunch at approx. 2.00 pm.
Fred ( and sister) like all of us in this part of the world , love their food and I was anxious to see if standards had dropped as dramatically as the previous subscriber had described. Fred had had Roast Beef and his sister had Lamb.
He told me ,it was beautifully served, plenty of vegetables , but Fred, the rascal that he is, says he could have done with a few more roast potatoes , and parsnips and maybe a bit more veg,
I should point out that Fred "could eat for England" and said that in the overall scheme of things ,that , his sister was delighted with her meal and Fred was more than pleased despite ( because he was driving) being unable to sample the delights of the cask ales ( Black Sheep and Bombardier).
Readers I hope will believe that I have absolutely no connection to the Arncliffe , I'm just so pleased that the bad review will not stop me and my wife enjoying our Sunday Lunch there , and just as importantly , will not spoil our US cousins stay in this part of the world.
I'm going to tick the boxes on Fred's behalf so that I complete the review - trust that I do it properly.

1  Thank Northernerp