“Nice food, shame about the rest of it.”
Review of Arncliffe Arms

Arncliffe Arms
Ranked #145 of 216 Restaurants in Whitby
Price range: US$6 - US$57
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Nice food, shame about the rest of it.”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed here on the final day of our Coast to Coast and compared to where we had stayed before this was a huge disappointment.

The room was poky and small, the shower door broken and the staff watched as we struggled to carry our bags upstairs having run over 30 miles that day and didn't even offer to help. The evening meal was ok but very greasy and I would have preferred not to have had to share my dinner with a dog who kept wandering around and putting it's head on other people's tables.

If you want a good night sleep then don't go on a saturday night as we did. Karaoke was on and we were told it would only be on until 11pm but it went on until after midnight.

We also wanted an early start on Sunday morning to finish our coast to coast and we were told by the barmaid that we could have breakfast at 7.15am. We came down at 7.15am and there was no one up and we had to leave without breakfast. We walked past other people who had stayed over who also had to leave without breakfast. It would have been nice if they had at least told us that they wouldn't be serving breakfast at that time and we would have tried to make other plans.

I wouldn't recommend. Very, very disappointed.

• Visited September 2013

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Really Good Food”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We ate here on our coast to coast walk and stayed the night. As a b and b it was perfectly fine but the food was excellent. I had pork in peppercorn cream sauce - wonderful, served with a huge selection of well cooked fresh vegetables by a friendly young waiter. Do try it.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank ceci1950
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Worst steak ever”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Party of 5 was expecting a good evening meal after long days walk. Interior looked a bit tired but menu seemed ok. Were looking forward to a good steak and going by the price of this and the other meals had every expectation. The others had some chicken smothered in cheese and rather greasy chips. No steak knife was provided but doubt a surgeons scalpel would have cut the steak. On complaint the plate was taken away to do what with the steak was not made clear. It returned just as the others finished their meal with the statement 'that the worst bit had been cut off'. It had but the rest was still inedible. No apology and we left having paid for the other meals and drinks. Very disappointing experience and far removed from their slogan. We really hope that other clients have a much better meal as this is one of the few places on the C to C route in Glaisdale where you can eat.

• Visited August 2013
Boston, England, United Kingdom
“Nice food and very pleasant staff.”
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Made to feel very welcome on arrival, not lots of choice for lunch time menu but what we had was very nice. Staff very pleasant. Would call again...

• Visited August 2013
Devon
“Unfortunately I was disappointed”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I stopped for a drink and lunch at the Arncliffe during June 2013 and was disappointed to find that my first 2 choices of beer were not available and the food was and I am sorry to say - awful. I had a sandwich with a side of chips. The chips were the worst ever - dripping in fat and soggy. I also noticed that there were groups of American tourists who seemed to be there due to prior arrangement with the travel company and landlord. Fortunately, for the Arncliffe, the tourists seemed to think the food was acceptable and were very gracious. All i can say is that that yanks think dirty dank interior, bad food, satellite TV and empty beer casks is typically british and "twee"
I dont know the situation with regards to the management however I do know potentially they are sitting on a little goldmine and the manager/landlord needs to up his anti - be more socialable, get to grips with stock and sort out the food. What he needs to remember is that tourists do re-visit areas so there is futuristic business however I and I am sure others wll drive past the Arncliffe when next on the Moors. Very, very disappointed.

• Visited June 2013