Number 34 Bed & Breakfast
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
Hotel Noir(Clifton)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsb bcity centresingle roomshort walkour stay was greattrain stationextra bedfull englishquiet streetten minsconvenient locationstayed two nightstea and coffee making facilitieshome from homeensuite bathroomon arrivalboth mornings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This five room bed-and-breakfast is located on a lovely quiet street about five blocks or so from the city walls and historical centre, sharing the street with about five or six other B&Bs. The room was fine and clean with the third occupant having their own little room, but one had to cross it to get to the bathroom, which was nicely equipped with a walk-in shower. The owners have an interesting system in which we preorder from the very generous menu so that our breakfast wishes were known and everything could be ready the next morning during a forty-five minute window within which breakfast was served. Perhaps that was a little tight but we managed quite well and so did everyone else.

The disappointment was in two areas: firstly, I have never seen such invisible bed-and-breakfast operators. We met Mr. when we checked in (he was expecting us) and did not see him again until we checked out and he offered no help with the luggage when we left. We met Mrs. only when she served breakfast on the second and last morning of our stay. There was no lounge, not even a small one, for us to sit down with other guests and talk and the breakfast room was closed shortly after breakfast was served. It is only fair to add that when we checked out Mr gave us a 25 pound discount that I had not expected and that was nice.

Secondly, and this is more serious, our door was left unlocked and ajar apparently after they cleaned it in the morning. We had a great deal of money along with our train tickets, and our passports in the room when that happened. Granted, the chances of someone stealing anything in this bed-and-breakfast are minimal but this sort of mistake I have never seen before and hope to never see it again.

I will call problem 2.5 that we only had one set of keys for the three of us and when I had to return to the room early the other two had to wake me up when they returned.

I think, given the other reviews, perhaps our experience was the exception but it was our experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Canadian67
Numberthirtyfouryork, Owner at Number 34 Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Canadian67,
Let's say I am very disappointed after reading your review!

Point 1 that you raised is that you thought we were invisible - I personally welcomed you into the B&B , carried up luggage to your room and explained breakfast, as with ALL guests I explained about the menus and stated that filling these in was not compulsory and that you could actually order at breakfast the following morning

During your visit I recall having a fascinating and long conversation with you about the different countries that you had lived in throughout your life. If you thought I was invisible maybe you should go to Specsavers!

Point 2 - This seemed to be your main source of concern [complaint] and can fully understand your disappointment that this happened . This was an error by our chambermaid and should not of occured. I was home all afternoon so the risk of any theft was minimal. We are very sorry this happened and because of this I feel you have gone on to make other points that are merely nitpicking.

We do not advertise to have a lounge [ if you wanted one why book with us? ]. The dining room is only locked from 9pm as we have a guest room opposite. Guests are welcome to use the dining room, In the past guests have used this room for playing cards or eating take-outs.

On the morning of your check-out I was busy in the kitchen but If you wanted any assistance with luggage all you had to do was ASK, it is not difficult. - the same goes for another set of keys..., if I was asked I would of been happy to provide you with a second set.

I personally checked you out, gave you some money back [as you had the Rick Steves Guide] and ordered you a cab. At this point I asked you If you were happy with your stay - Your response - 'Wonderful, Thank you!!!'

I'm scratching my head here..

After reading through your comments I believe you may have been looking for more of a 'Hotel experience' with staff on duty 24/7 and plenty of communal areas for you to sit and talk to fellow travellers.

Future guests please read through our many positive reviews..
As you can see, We aim to make everybody's visit as comfortable and pleasant as possible.

Regards
Jason

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night after a last minute decision to stay in York. Great find and for the money was fantastic. Great location, about a 10 minute walk into town, and a taxi back was only about £7. Nice, big comfy bed and a plentiful and well cooked breakfast. Owners were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We had 4 rooms booked for a 40th birthday weekend. We turned up early where the owner gave us parking permits and allowed us to check in. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, the breakfast was great as well as the service. Again nothing is too much trouble. Well recommended. Will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at number 34 for several years now, the rooms are immaculate and extremely cosy. Every time we stay we are made to feel very welcome by Jason and his staff which is the main reason we go back time after time!! The breakfasts are extremely good and certainly fill you up for the day!! The guest house is in the perfect location, it takes us around 5-10 minutes to walk into the city centre. We love it so much we are going back again in August!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights. The entire property was well maintained and inviting. The room and bathroom was clean and modern. The breakfast was excellent. It is about a 5-10 minute walk to the city walls. Do no hesitate to stay here...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family