“A hands on guitar shop!!”
Review of Mor Music

Mor Music
Ranked #31 of 57 Shopping in York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A hands on guitar shop!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Wasn't expecting to find a guitar shop in a tourist destination but soo glad I did!! Friendly staff that let me play two grands worth of fender jazz bass with no hesitation.. And straight through a decent amp!! Well informative and nothing too much trouble even tho I made it obvious that I wasn't buying, just looking... Hope their business does well cos just on customer service, they deserve it!!

3 Thank Gary W

York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Awesomeness”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Surprised there are not more reviews on here to be honest...

I absolutely love this shop, I get all the general gubbins you need as musician here and recently I bought my American Standard Jazz-Bass from them too. Great guys, great service. You can even just pop in for a nice chat!

Visited April 2012
5 Thank FoodOBaggins
minky1
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Mor Music - Best Guitar Store - Ever!”
Reviewed 26 April 2008

Hi guys,

After travelling all over the UK (and most of the US) and checking out the guitar stores on my travels I think I have found my ultimate store!!!

I found the shop by chance when I was staying in York recently and went for a meal at Mason's Bistro in Fossgate - as we were enjoying our meal, I looked across and noticed a big plasma screen in the double-fronted shop showing a 1979 Fender Strat for sale - I had been looking for one of these for years!!

I finished my meal quickly and took down the opening times (9.30 - 5.30 mon-sat) and dashed back first thing in the morning to see if my dream guitar was there - it was! :o) The guys who worked there were very friendly and knowledgable and not in the slightest bit pushy ( I hate going in guitar stores and being pounced on the minute I walk in - this was the opposite, I was left to browse and they let me play the Strat (and a few others, I ended up buying 2 and a Mesa Boogie amp which I had wanted for ages) for quite a while - I think I was in the store the entire morning! My wife was happy doing the toursity thing though thankfully - The Shambles is a minutes walk away and plenty of shops.

Anyways, I ended up coming out of the store a very happy man - I found my dream guitar in absolutely fantastic condition for a nearly 30 year old guitar, an Ibanez acoustic and the Mesa Boogie. Other guitars I noticed were a really good selection of Strats (including USA) and Telecasters, Ibanez, Jackson, Hamer, Tanglewood, Marshall and Randall - they also stock those 'first guitar' kits - you know the ones that come in a box with everything you need to get started. A young guy was enquiring about one of these when I was there and they also said they do set-ups on all their guitars, even these. That is something I would recommend this store for as my friends son recently bought one of these somewhere in London and then had to spend another £40 to have it set up so he could actually play his guitar. Apparently they have a guitar technician working there so all repairs and set-ups are done in-house - another excellent point as another store I took one of my repairs to sent my guitar somewhere else to be repaired and they managed to lose it!

I have been so many guitar stores including many in the USA - I would even go as far as to say MOR Music was better that Ed Romans in Las Vegas. Fantastic selection including many gems - I left the store a very, very happy chappy! The owner of the shop, a great guy called Phil said that they were also putting a few items on Ebay soon but to contact them if there was anything in particular that I wanted as they could send have it delivered for me - wow! helpful-a-rama!

Just to finish then (as you can see I was very impressed!!) this is a store that you do not want to miss if you are going to York anytime soon, it beats the competition hands down.

Oh, by the way, there is also a drum department on the first floor which has just been refurbished...

We found the shop by chance, it is virtually straight down from The Shambles, down Fossgate which has the Army and Navy Store on one corner and a bar (YO1, I think) on the other, on the right hand side about 3 shops down next to the Bluebell pub (great traditional pub for a pint or two) and opposite Fellinis italian restaurant and Masons Bistro. Hope my directions help!!

5 Thank oneminky