“great tapas”

Ranked #49 of 916 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Style: relaxed, quaint, cosy restaurant with a small, busy bar, all set in an eighteenth-century listed building in the heart of York Size: 46 covers, plus small bar Good for: couples, families, special occasions, casual lunch, formal dinner, access to York Minster, York walls, York Theatre Royal and Dean Court Hotel
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We went there for some tapas and the white sangria on our last night. We over-ordered as everything sound so great! If you order 3 tapas per person you will just manage it. If you are not that hungry, two will do it as well. Excellent quality, friendly service. We loved the meatball and the porkbelly tapas the most.

1  Thank Bignosebird

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Visited this restaurant yesterday 14/8/2014, and was bowled over by the quality of the food.
It was exceptional and we will be going again.
There is a lunch menu where you can choose 3 dishes for £9.99, so we had 6 between us and were completely stuffed.
The waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu and about the restaurant in general (they have another branch in Leeds and about to open another in York). Lunch was a good time for us and we didn't have to book in advance, but a reservation is recommended for evening dining.
We had 3 meat/fish dishes - meatballs, calamari, ham and potato croquettes in a pea and ham broth, and 3 veggie dishes - green bean with sundried tomatoes and pine nuts, artichoke risotto, and garlic mushrooms.
We were so full, there was no room for desert.
We had a large bottle of sparkling water, but would try some alcohol next time as they specialise in sherries.
Everyone should try this restaurant when they visit York!

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We visited here in Friday night however we arrived late due to the freak rain that decided to occur! The staff were very helpful and accommodated this no problem, making us feel very welcome. We ordered a range of dishes, all of which were extremely tasty and fresh but the pan fried pigeon special was especially good. Tip- try the sangria, it is very good, I almost had the whole jug to myself!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I had read all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor about this restaurant, so had high hopes. Once there with 3 other friends, I began to wonder if I was in the same place. The staff were very helpful and friendly, but the food was terrible. I ordered Pan Catalan, which I have had all over Spain and really love for its simplicity and clean flavours. This one consisted of pale, soggy tomato on indifferent bread, and did not taste of anything much apart from the chives scattered on top. My croquetas were worse, the crisp outside tasted stale, and I could not eat it. The pea puree on which they sat was lovely. Patatas bravas were soggy little cubes of fried potato with a not bad spicy tomato sauce on top. All of those things were quite simple and could have been lovely, but were not. I avoided the desserts, as I could see what the people at the next table were having, and it did not look appetising.

1  Thank cakelover82
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I had lunch here with my son and his family, having heard them rave about the food for a while! I loved it, and could have made such a pig of myself with no effort at all. The banana curry was a little unusual as a tapas dish, I thought, but it was gorgeous - my 5 year-old grandson recommended it very highly! - and there was just so much that was wonderful. The staff were great, and very helpful, advising on wine etc with obvious love of the job. I so look forward to being able to return!