“Awful awful awful ”

and 1 more site!
Old Grey Mare
Ranked #180 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

My mistake for not reading the reviews. We were in a huge hurry to book a room as it was late in the day. We booked the two room cottage. Stay away! We paid a fair amount of money for this place and .... Yuck! It smelled. Furniture was dated. No hand towels in toilet. In fact no hand towels or wash cloths at all. No soap for the shower or toilet. Floor looked dirty. Walls looked dirty. If it had not been close to 7:30 pm, and we had-not prepaid, we would have left. Awful. Breakfast... What breakfast?!! Could not recommend at all. Would give a zero if I could.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Stephanie R

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at the beginning of July. Very cheap accommodation, only 10/15 walk to town with free parking. Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was ok, choice of fruit, cereals, toast etc. Room was ok size, bathroom dated with cracked sink and curtains didn't meet the window sill, letting a lot of light in. Room was clean and had tea/coffee making facilities. Quite a dated hotel, but there were signs saying it was being improved. The floors are creaky but what do you expect for an old hotel? Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Went into bar to book in, felt like we had just killed the towns favourite person we were gleared at by all the locals, the room was tiny, the tv was tiny and didn't have a remote and would only go on one chanel and one volume. The bed was lumpy and the shower was small and dribbled out, breakfast was pathetic.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank This_is_Beth
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights by mistake after reading the wrong reviews!! Our room had furniture which would not close or leaned precariously, a reading lamp with all the innards hanging out, a bedside lamp with a melted shade and a shelf which actually tipped over when I placed a cup on it. The bed was so old we could feel the tops of the springs and in hindsight we decided we would have got more sleep if we had stayed in the car. Because we were on the Tour de France route we were awakened at 3 am on our second night by flashing orange lights as road markings were being painted in. I realise that the establishment had no control over this but highlighted the fact that because of the single glazing and paper thin walls it would be difficult to get a decent nights sleep at any time in this pub. The last straw was the radio blaring through said paper thin walls at 4.30 am so my wife and I decided it was not worth waiting around for breakfast and continued our journey to Scotland. Terry seemed a very nice person but probably due to lack of investment by his brewery this place is really not fit for purpose.

Room Tip: Use any other hotel or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Having already stayed in one other place in the area, which shall remain nameless, I stumbled upon this place whilst looking to have a few pints. I was greeted by the owners and welcomed by the regulars - this is a really friendly place. So, when I realised they did B&B I swiftly booked to stay here for the following week. The room I stayed in was clean, spacious and comfortable - and for the price I paid, the best value in York. I really didn't want to write a review (this is a best kept secret and I really don't want to share this in case I find this place fully booked next time I want to stay ).

The place does a continental breakfast, which for the money I paid was ideal - better still, because I had to leave around 6am before breakfast was served, the owners fixed me up with a 'picnic' breakfast to have in my room, complete with ice bucket, milk, yoghurt, cereal, etc.

Great people, great place... and I'm booked in again tonight! I highly recommend this!

Room Tip: Don't choose room 9! It's really nice and I want this for myself
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2014

There are a number of bad reviews on here about this place, so I was a little nervous booking this place. However, for our group of lads on a stag do this place was ideal. Terry the landlord was more than helpful both on the phone and when we arrived. The rooms are not 5* but then for the price you pay they wouldn't be! We had 2 rooms of 4 and the chalet outside the main building for 5 and all the lads said they rooms were suitable. Breakfast is self service continental style (cereal, pastries, toast, etc.) which we found to be more than enough. It is only a short walk away from the main city (10 min). For the price location and service I would recommend this to any groups looking for a place to stay in York (especially if you are on a budget and don't want to pay for the city center hotels!).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This B&B could spoil a visit to excellent York. It consists of poorly built small rooms with paper thin walls and doors. If someone closes a door down the corridor it wakes you up. The bathroom was poor but clean. Very old towels and the room could have done with a clean.
Breakfast is not cooked and you eat in an Indian restaurant attached to the pub underneath the rooms.

The pub is rough! Very loud locals! So don't go for a drink if you want to relax.

• Stayed: June 2014