“1st and last time in my entire life” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lamb & Lion Inn

Lamb & Lion Inn
Ranked #34 of 205 York B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“1st and last time in my entire life”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked this place even thought it was expensive because it looked so ancient, with old style charming rooms and...compared to the site the rooms are different, smaller, normal, nothing special, simple, plain.
I had my leg broken 3 weeks before going there simply I had an accident and it was unexpected.
Before my trip to York I called them and told what happened. They told me they would do whatever they could to help me and in fact
My room was on the 2nd floor. When I told them I could not climb any stairs they simply did not care less.
Dinner was served until 9pm. I ordered at 9.05 and they refused to serve me.

I had paid for breakfast and I was told it would be served until 11am, and at 10.20 I went there and they said it was over.

Very bad service, they simply don't care less about their customers.
I will never ever go there again as far as I live!

Room Tip: What you see on the site is definitely not what you get
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Adam H, Manager at Lamb & Lion Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Hi we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I am sorry that you felt that the staff did not care about your situation which i am very surprised about as you can see in recent reviews that the staff are very professional and try to help guest as much as we can. It is stated in the handbooks that breakfast is served daily from 7.30 until 10 and check out is 11am.

We would love to serve customers food all night but unfortunately we do have to have a cut off on service times and as you was after the 9pm cut off we could not take your order.

Regards

The Lamb and Lion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Lamb and Lion is moderately priced (compared to others in area!) with an excellent location in the heart of York--tucked right into the medieval city wall! Within easy walking to distance to everything. Built in 1756, it lacks things like a lift but staff kindly offers to carry luggage up the stairs--depending on your location that could be a minimum of one flight, maximum of 3 flights of stairs. Our room, a double, was small but bed was comfortable. Facing onto the street, sometimes you heard pedestrians outside but no big deal. Has a charming garden area to sit and have a pint. Typical pub food...huge breakfast. We found it to be uniquely charming and location couldn't have been better! Wifi comes and goes.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Adam H, Manager at Lamb & Lion Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Hi thank your finding time to write a review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed at the Lamb and Lion for one night and would most definitely return. Perfect location and food was to die for! Wouldn't hesitate to recommend. As it was summer it was very hot in our room and we only realised we had a fan in the room the morning after! Even if it was a sweaty night I still enjoyed it immensely and the central location and excellent food (breakfast and evening meal) would have me going back in a heartbeat. It was especially nice to sit out in the garden and watch people go by on the old wall. Thanks to everyone at the Lamb and Lion for a memorable stay, we will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Adam H, Manager at Lamb & Lion Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Wow such a kind review. We are pleased we made your stay with us memorable and you enjoyed everything about your stay. I have shared your comments with the team and they are delighted to hear such positive comments. We Hope to see you again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay in York the rooms were very well appointed, clean & the food in the pub was excellent great beer garden I would recommend anybody to stay here a hidden gem in York close to all the attractions we will definitely be back the next time we are traveling through York

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Adam H, General Manager at Lamb & Lion Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Hi thank you for your 5* review. I hope you are enjoying your tour of the UK and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. If you do come back to York please contact us direct for the best rates!

The Lamb and lion
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband just got back from a nights stay and i've got to say i was very impressed,we love York and have stayed over before but this is by far the best place and we'll b returning again. The staff are really friendly and the food was very nice.We did plan to go out but because of how nice our experience was decided just to relax in the beer garden all evening.Very pleasant overall.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Adam H, Manager at Lamb & Lion Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank yo so much for your fantastic review. Its great to hear that a regularly visitor to York rates us as the best around!! We are pleased you managed to get out to enjoy our beer garden and we look forward to your next visit.

The Lamb and lion
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Have just stayed one night at tha Lamb and Lion Inn. Car parking facilities great at nearby Marygate long stay car park. Just park your car first then you can buy a parking permit at the hotel at a reduced rate. Location was great and only minutes away from the Minster. Staff were extremely polite and helpful and food brilliant which was included in our package. Rooms were clean and comfortable but check which floor your room is on when you book if you have problems with stairs. We were on the top floor and it was a bit of a hike. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2014
Adam H, Manager at Lamb & Lion Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Hi thank you for your 5* review. The location of the inn is great for exploring the city and the walls. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The location of this Inn is prefect for seeing York. The Inn is a short distance from The Shambles, and very close to other shopping and the Museum Gardens. We stayed in the attic. Which if you go I would recommend this room. It is a nice size and the bathroom while small has a good shower. One word of caution with this room and Inn, you need to be aware that there are a lot of stairs and in the attic room door is very small, and the steps are circular and very very narrow. Some of the reviewers mentioned noise but we felt it was pretty quite. The bed was big and comfortable. I do think the room could use a bit of updating ... the window coverings are a bit worn, and I notice when I checked into the room that there was bobbie pins on the steps and near the bathroom, which must have been left by the previous guests. The breakfast is very good, with your choice of selections off the menu. The staff was nice and friendly. Make sure you are clear on the parking, as there is no parking at the Inn. You will need to park a good distance from the Inn...which is not a big deal, just be prepared for it. Overall the place is charming and has a lot of charm. I do think they need to do a bit of updating some of the curtains and linens to ensure it stays charming in the future! York is a lovely place to visit, and we really enjoyed our time and stay at the Lamb & Lion.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robyn C
Adam H, Manager at Lamb & Lion Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Hi thank you for 4* review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are currently in the process of updating all our rooms with a new interior look. We look forward to seeing you again soon.