Lamb & Lion Inn
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
  • Room Service
  • Pool
All reviewslambbeer gardenthe pubattic roomhigh petergatesteak and ale pieflights of stairsmarygate car parkinside the city wallstop floorbootham baryork minsterno liftsister hotelreal aleguy fawkesstreet noise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My husband and I walked the wall in York on a sunny Sunday afternoon. We happened across a lovely little beer garden (the L & L Inn) and decided to stop for a refreshing drink.
Other patrons were having meals which looked very inviting, so after a couple of drinks, we decided to stay for dinner as well. This all occurred at approx 6pm. So I dutifully went down to the bottom bar to place an order for meals and further drinks to accompany dinner. To my absolute surprise and disgust, I was informed that they could not accept my order, as I was not a house guest and had not pre-booked a table...the kitchen was too small to accept our order.
What more can I say!

Stayed: August 2014
Adam H, Manager at Lamb & Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Hi Thank you for writing a review. I am sorry that you did not have the opportunity to dine with us. On very rare occasions we do sometimes have to stop taking orders this could be due to the number of checks on or as we serve a high amount of food and our food is all homemade we may have to close temporary so the team can prepare the food. We would not want to be sending our meals without parts of the dish on and we have a very high standard of food as you can see with our 1 Rosette.

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

This was the 3rd time my husband and I have stayed at The Lamb & Lion. On the 2 previous stays we have stayed in the attic rooms, which are spacious, quiet and one had a Jacuzzi bath. Unfortunately this time the rooms we wanted were already booked so we were in room 3 on the first floor. I think staying in the attic spoilt us! Room 3 was over looking the beer garden, which I am assuming is also used as a smoking area. It was noisy! The room was quite small compared to the attic and the shower was tiny. Also, both me and my husband found the bed really uncomfortable so neither of us got much sleep either night.
The room had 2 doors, the main door off the landing with the lock on then the bedroom door, with a little corridor in between them. The little corridor had a light which was linked to the hotel staircase lights so couldn't be turned off... The bedroom door didn't close properly, so we had to put up with the light shining through all night.
The room was clean and tidy though and the tea and coffee was replenished, and clean towels provided.
Breakfast was nice, we both asked for something not on the menu and it wasn't a problem at all.
The staff were all lovely and really helpful as usual.
I think we would book again but only if the attic room is available, as I said, I think we'd been spoilt on previous stays! On previous stays, in the attic, I would've give 5 stars!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Adam H, Manager at Lamb & Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Thank you finding time to write a review. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your experience in room 3 but we are glad that you will be returning to us and you love our attic room. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights whilst visiting York with friends.

Our room (Room 1) was lovely, it was at the front of the hotel so it could possibly get noisy but we didn't notice anything. The bed was sooooooooo comfortable, with lovely bedding and pillows. The en-suite was along a little corridor (within the room) which was nice as it made it separate from the rest of the room. The shower was excellent, very powerful, and the complimentary shower gels and soaps were good quality. There was also a flat screen TV and a well stocked hospitality tray.

However, this is a very old building (17th century?) so the rooms are not as spacious as you might expect from a modern 4 star hotel. This meant that there was not a proper wardrobe, a dressing table or a chair. I am NOT saying this as a negative, I am just pointing this out for guests who have certain expectations, which cant be catered for in such an old building.

Breakfast was excellent, fresh ingredients which were cooked to order, as well as the typical continental breakfast foods. We were impressed with breakfast. The eggs benedict, which our friend had, looked incredible.

We stayed on a half board basis, so had an evening meal on both nights. The menu was very good, not overly pretentious, and not too extensive. The food was excellent!!! We couldn't fault it, if anything the only criticism we had was of the steak and ale pie which was too big! It was so nice we would have loved to eat it all but couldn't as there was so much of it!

The Lamb and Lion is in an excellent location as it is just inside the city walls on High Petergate, York Minster is literally a 1 minute walk away and can be seen from the beer garden at the rear of the pub. It is an ideal location from which to explore York.

Obviously being within the city walls the hotel doesn't have its own car park, but the car park which they recommend is only a 5 minute walk.

I will definitely recommend The Lamb and Lion for anyone wanting to stay in York, but remember this is an OLD building with small rooms so you're not going to get some of the facilities you would usually expect from a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room a the rear of the hotel if you don't want noise form the street.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Adam H, Manager at Lamb & Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Thank you so much for your excellent review. We are pleased you enjoyed the historic charm and the quirkiness of the rooms we have to offer. Its great to hear comments regarding our food and menu and all the kitchen team our very happy with your kind words. We Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Perfect spot for us (once we had fought our way round the one way system) well placed for all the sights. Rooms very good - we specifically asked for a room on a lower floor and were given Room 3 with its own shower room. The room was spotlessly clean and very nicely done. Only one small niggle, the chair in the room was far too big and stopped you getting to wardrobe and drawers etc. Great beer garden with plenty of space, though it was very crowded on Bank Holiday Sunday. We were a bit worried about overlooking the beer garden but it was not a problem at all. Really good breakfast, though we didn't eat here in the evening. What overwhelmed us most of all was the professional but friendly service from ALL the staff, with particular thanks to Jacob for his many kindnesses. And all this for very reasonable rates. Would certainly stay again if in York.

Room Tip: Lots of steps so if that is a problem for you request a room on lower floors.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your 5* review. Room 3 is one of my favorite rooms and I am glad you enjoyed the room. Its great to here such positive comments about the cleanliness of our rooms and your comments have been passed to the housekeeping team. We cant wait for your next visit.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel very nice, perfect position, staff very helpful and pleasant,rooms cosy and clean,only had breakfast there and was very good, plenty of selection,would defiantly stay for evening meal next time, place had a nice feel to it,over all very impressed would stay again on my next visit to York

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi thank you so much for your 5* review. We are pleased that your enjoyed your full experience here with us and i hope you backed some winners at the races!! We hope to see you again next year.