“Best meal in the UK”
Review of The Go Down

The Go Down
Reserve with OpenTable
The Go Down is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 955 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$19 - US$48
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had a great meal here, the best we had in our 3 week jaunt around central and northern England and southern Scotland. It was helped by our late meal and the almost empty restaurant, resulting in attentive and friendly service. We did the free walking tour of the city and then came back late for dinner. The food was great, I had the duck breast and we had a bottle of Prosecco to celebrate my birthday. Reasonable prices. I would highly recommend.

1  Thank Bill T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I booked this restaurant about two months ago, for our son's graduation dinner. To be honest, I had tried to book in to Rustique first, as last time we were here it was full and we wanted to try it. They were full for the 17th July and when I asked for a recommendation they suggested Go Down. And we were not disappointed. We were six in total initially, but I called at the last minute to add two of my son's house mates in. The Lady owner, Penelope ( and she is!) was most accommodating and manoeuvred the chairs and tables so we could all fit. And the food, oh Lord, was super! Prawn and melon salad, chicken in red wine sauce and luscious vegetables, very naughty desserts of creme brûlée and sticky toffee pudding! We all were in need of a snooze afterwards! Thank you very much Penelope! We shall return!

1  Thank Aidan&Noreen
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were greeted politely & shown to our table, which had been booked beforehand & decided where the most suitable table would be for us (3 x adults + my grand-daughter aged 6). Restaurant is slightly unusual - hence the name - in that it feels like being in a basement but by no means is it claustophobic. We were then served by another 4 different waiters/waitresses for drinks, food, appropriate cutlery and delivery of food, all promptly and with due care and attention. One of the staff offered, without a prompt from myself, to take a photo of us all which was considerate. Wine served at room temperature; food was excellent; atmosphere v good; staff attentive. Would have rated it "excellent" in the overall rating other than my wife had the lamb & stuffing main course but found the lamb was wrapped around the stuffing and therefore a slightly small portion. Other than that, this is an excellent find.

1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited this restaurant for dinner based on Trip Advisor reviews. We had made a reservation for 7 o'clock on the busy Tour de France weekend im York. The atmosphere was very nice. The food was outstanding as was the service. We had a very reasonable dinner for two including a glass of wine each and tip for just under 45 pounds, a real value in York and outstanding food.

1  Thank Peter K
Reviewed 6 July 2014

As other reviewers have mentioned, it gets warm in this restaurant and the place could do with a bit of a refurb, but my wife and I were warmly welcomed and the place was packed.

We ordered starters of French Onion Soup and King Prawns respectively and both were excellent.

For our mains, we had fillet steak and sea bass and again, both were really nice - well cooked and seasoned, with a good selection of roasted veg on the side.

The service throughout was excellent, with attentive and friendly staff serving the tables.

Restaurants should be all about the food. This one is and if I'm in York again, it will be top of my list to visit.

We were so well fed that we couldn't manage a sweet.

1  Thank eggbilly