“What a pity it is closing”
Review of Haunted, 35 Stonegate - CLOSED

Haunted, 35 Stonegate
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Went to this as part of the York Pass system - very different and very enjoyable. It is closing sometime in August and that is a bit of a shame.

1  Thank DrKOJ

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I visited the house with two friends - all three of us have mediumistic abilities. We could feel energies in many parts of the house and one of us "saw" several figures. The seance room was amazing, one of us took photos and in the brief time that the flash was lit before the photo we could see streaks of energy flashing across the ceiling. The only thing that put us off was all the screaming and shrieking in the taped commentary, it was all very false, but I suppose they have to try to cater for people who go just for the entertainment.

1  Thank Celia G
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I entered not because I believed it was haunted but because I was interested in its 700 year history. I enjoyed exploring the first few rooms and imagining life in days gone by. However that all changed in the upstairs attic room. I did not see or hear anything but I suddenly felt like I was going to be sick and my legs turned to jelly. I did not feel normal again until after I had left the house. When we entered the house we were told that it had been sold to developers and was to be turned into holiday lettings. I would not like to be the unfortunate person that slept there. I think it is a place that needs to be experienced in order to make up your own mind. Although I'm glad I went I would definitely not return.

2  Thank Rachael Louise B
Reviewed 8 August 2014

First of all I would just like to say that although this house doesn't have the flair and feel of The York Dungeon it was still worth while going to see. I was devastated to hear that The Haunted will be closing in a few weeks and it's future is uncertain! I would like to say to the new owners that I feel the building should be kept in its original form as it is certainly to be classified as a part of York history and should be maintained.

As to the feelings I had when inside the building. It certainly gives you a accurate impression of how it must have been in the olden days to live in such house. It smells old and damp and I had a growing feeling of sadness as I walked through the rooms to the constant wail of a little girl who, with her family, was accompanying us on the tour. She only made it half way around the house as she was absolutely terrified of going upstairs. I was fine until I reached the little room right at the top! The one with the slanted floor. I felt uneasy in there and I couldn't wait to get out of there as I was feeling quite nauseous by the time the voice (coming from an audio tape) finally allowed us into the seance room. We talked to the lady in the shop afterwards who told us that The Haunted was soon to be no more.......what a shame! You have until the end of August to set foot in this gem....so hurry!

1  Thank Lesley N
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I am a Sceptic but am very open to there being 'something out there' and i accept that people may have experienced things here.

the whole thing lasts about 15 - 20 mins and the whole thing consists of walking around an old house listening to an audio of a story of a girl who used to live there. (not even a very well told story) to be honest the whole thing was extremely boring and tedious. (im not the only one who thought this as other people in our 'group' were clearly not impressed either.)

we were told by the man who worked there that the owner has sold it and it will be closed by the end of August. . . .hopefully there will be something better in its place.