“Do not be put off by the utside”

Upper River Restaurant
Ranked #116 of 1,001 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$9 - US$16
Description: Upper River is small business run by a family who lived in Hong Kong. We are selling authentic Hong Kong food,which are quite different to typical Chinese restaurant in UK.
Reviewed 21 October 2017

Or the inside ,very basic more like a small cafe .
Food very good prices good .
Only prob was we both ordered something different ,all cooked to order ,my husbands meal arrived ,after 15 mins wait for mine I thought I had been forgotten .

So I started helping hubby eat his
When another 5 mins later mine arrived .
Very good but should have been told .when I ordered ,esp as I could see other people served before me .
Very nice family run place

1  Thank megan674

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

I had the most wonderful and authentic HKG style meals in York when I was staying there for my girl's new school term.

Everything ordered is freshly made, fried rice, fried noodles, noodles with soup!!! They even have home made BBQ pork (Char Siu) and roasted pork belly (Siu Yuk).

I can go there for every meal without bothering cooking and never get bored on the dishes!

1  Thank Noel F
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

It is our first time here in York and this small shop amazed us with its authentic Hong Kong food. We ordered a Wonton rice noodle and rice with Char Siu and Siu Yuk. Very delicious! The milk tea is a MUST to order as it warms your heart with its flavored fragrance.

Really appreciate the owner's perseverance in making the authentic food from Hong Kong, which is an important aspect of its culture.

1  Thank Kangmin X
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

We 5 dropped by accidently as its not far from a house we are renovating and we could not resist sticking our heads in out of curiosity. What a fantastic find. If you want decor and fancy service go elswhere. If you want good family canton chinese food on formica tables, this is the place. They have recently opened and the food is great. Basic menu but good. Make sure you try their big soups.
We have eaten chinese all over the world and this one is good food.
Once they have established themselves they will be noted. kent and his mum Alice are lovely and the dad can sure cook. We will be regulars.

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

When we first ran into upper river, we were surprised by the authentic Cantonese flavours. We ordered beef satay noodles and Hong Kong style French toast. They are not just delicious, but recalled the best memories of Hong Kong cha chaan tien. We went back again twice to try out other dishes and upper river never fails your taste buds. The Singaporean fried noodles we tried was stunning. If you pay it a visit, definitely not to forget the hk style milk tea!