“First time at a Toby, Good Breakfasts”

Toby Carvery Hopgrove
Ranked #279 of 909 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Went to Toby Carvery with friends for Breakfast on Sunday and will be returning in the near future to try out the lunchtime menu. The restaurant was clean, there was a good selection of food available and the staff were polite and helpful, I enjoyed my breakfast no faults with any of the food although my friend thought the eggs were a little too greasy. Having the drinks and toast in a separate area to the main breakfast counter is a little strange though and making sure the hot water for the tea/coffees is actually hot would have also made the experience a little better, washing down a lovely breakfast with lukewarm tea just puts a downer on it, but no real issues nothing that would put me off going again and at a good affordable price too.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery Hopgrove, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2017

We are sorry it has taken us so long to respond. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

We went a couple of weeks ago and food good but the service was poor but we went back today to give them a chance. They were running late so had to wait. One member of staff was shouting that she was going to walk out. Dirty knives. Baked beans from breakfast on table. Carver had to sharpen his knives. Go find some spoons. Forgot small plates before even got started fourty mins after going! Asked for spoon took forever then once finished asked for kid's ice cream had to ask four times. Good food shame about cleanliness and staff.

1  Thank rms19833

Reviewed 17 March 2013

I visited the carvery twice on my visit to York. I arrived at 18.45 on both ocassions and was greeted by friendly staff and showed to a table straight away. The choice was gammon, roast pork, beef and turkey. The food was fresh and the vegetables were excellent. The place has a high turnover of customers and I did notice that it gets very busy after 19.30 where you had to wait for a free table. Plenty of parking available.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We visited the Hopgrove Toby Carvery twice on a recent visit to York. It was so good the first time we had to go back. There's a choice of 4 roasts, then help yourself to all you can eat potatoes and veg. I had the nicest roast turkey I've ever eaten and if like me you're put off carveries by experiences of soggy overcooked vegetables, don't we worried, the veg was lovely with loads of choice. The huge Yorkshire puddings were amazing. The staff are friendly and helpful. Excellent value for money too - Monday to Saturday the carvery is just £5.99 and on Sunday £8.99. I'm also assured by a family member that the all you can eat breakfast is excellent and great value - I will try that on the next visit!

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Went to this carvery.two weeks ago gave it a glowing report.went again following week.around two o'clock.about a third filled.had to wait 5 minutes before we were approached.went to the carvery area.no one behind to serve carve.checked my watch again 5 minutes.still no one.asked two staff.eventualy carver appeared.bit of a disgruntled look.not at all like our last experience.looked like no one was in charge.must must get your act together.which is a great product.but not that feel good experience.