“3rd time unlucky?”

Grays Court Restaurant
Ranked #282 of 868 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$13 - US$59
Cuisines: British, French
Good for: View, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Grays Court is a boutique hotel and heritage property in York that boasts over 900 years of colourful history. Nestled between the Minster and city walls. We are a one-off, a country house hotel in the heart of the city waiting to be explored. As well as eleven individual luxury bedrooms, we house a vibrant resturant and bar and walled garden which proved a beautiful and original venue for meetings, private dining and celebrations.
“3rd time unlucky?”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Both of our 2 previous visits to Grays Court were a great experience. This place has atmosphere, history and good food. Prices are a little higher than average however we considered this worth the extra for the special experience. Our 3rd visit however was not so impressive. On arrival we were kept waiting to be seated - even though there were plenty of places available. Once seated service continued at the same level - a couple who arrived after us were served drinks, paid and departed before we had even been served. When I complained that we had waited 25 minutes for our cups of tea we were told that this was because the Ginger Beer was in the cellar??? We hadn't even ordered Ginger Beer - so not a great excuse! In all we waited just short of 1 hour to before our food arrived. The 5 of us were expiring! So disappointing after our previous experience. This visit deserved only one star however 2 stars given because of previous experience.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Erisnud

York, United Kingdom
“Great setting and food but struggled with the seats”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I took my God parents on a tour of York and to the almost secret location of Grays, tucked between the Minster and the walls. There is little outside to say that this is a venue and I was a tad nervous when we went in and there was no one inside but a dog. The restaurant is upstairs but this was full so we ended up downstairs on sofas, which filled up while we ate. Service was a little slow and having ordered a Yorkshire ploughmans the bread roll was on the small side. Bread aside the food was good and the setting was great. The only downside was that while the sofas were comfortable the table was also low so we sat perched on the edge of the seat in order to eat the meal which was not so good. Nether the less we enjoyed the experience and I hope that my points are noted by the owners as Grays has the potential to be truly fantastic.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Richard A
Durham, United Kingdom
“Gem or a place”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is one of my favorite places for lunch in York. The decor is just amazing, a lot of attention and thought has gone in to the decorating of this place, it is like stepping back in time. It also has a very relaxed feeling and a pleasant atmosphere. I always find the staff both efficient and friendly. I normally have a coffee and the humus and Mediterranean vegetable sandwich. The bread always tastes fresh and homemade and the vegetables are cooked to order. I have also had the freshly baked cookies which they also do to order and arrive warm and gooey, yummy.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank MelanieLHG
Wakefield
“Lovely relaxing and unwind!”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We spent 2 nights here to unwind. The hotel was quiet but staff were always on hand if needed. The room was lovely and had view of the Treasurers House from the back. The gardens looked really nice but the weather didn't allow us to visit. We ate in one night only and the food was lovely and well presented. Breakfast was a little disappointing on the cold option although the English & cooked breakfast was as goods as the evening meal. It did however lack a written menu. Our room wasn't refreshed when we arrived back after a day in York because we had taken out our key. We should have been made aware that there was only one key that should have been left. The room was put right as soon as we were back. I would also like to see something in the hotel about the history of the building. It is a beautiful house and it would be nice to know something about it. We would definitely recommend Grays Court and definitely revisit again. Beautiful surroundings, central for York and a very relaxing feel to it.

• Visited October 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Could do so much Better”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We decided to eat there for my daughter's birthday, hoping to get lunch. I say hoping, but the menu was not clear as to whether lunch was available, although there did seem to be a couple of dishes which were more lunch-like than the obvious afternoon tea offerings. I ordered the platter which was served with tiny portions and a single white roll. I asked for an extra roll which turned out to be a little more white bread. Why was it not served with a selection of breads? Overall the meal was poor value and uninspiring.

The service was mixed. The greeting on arrival was not particularly welcoming or helpful - more a mumble. The waitress who served us was very good and pleasant. Another, what can I say, left a fragrance of body odour - not nice at all!

So, a lovely place but with more staff training, a clearer menu and better value for money it could be really popular during the average day. I wonder if weddings are its main offering and the daytime food just an extra that gets insufficient input and direction?

• Visited September 2013