“Fantastic historic setting”

Price range: US$14 - US$62
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Grays Court is a boutique hotel and heritage property in York that boasts over 900 years of colourful history. Nestled between the Minster and city walls. We are a one-off, a country house hotel in the heart of the city waiting to be explored. As well as eleven individual luxury bedrooms, we house a vibrant resturant and bar and walled garden which proved a beautiful and original venue for meetings, private dining and celebrations.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is a lovely, hidden gem of a place in a fantastic location in York. Whilst not cheap, we had beautifully prepared food and the hot chocolate is certainly worthy of a mention!
Very surprised by some of these reviews, perhaps not to everyone's taste, but for the more discerning visitor that wants to enjoy the unique and beautiful surroundings inside and out, we would thoroughly recommend. A little oasis in the centre of York!

2  Thank Emma B
Helen-Grays, Owner at Grays Court Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your review, and for taking the time to post such kind comments. I am glad you enjoyed your visit, and hope to see you again.

You are correct about Trip Advisor, we have had some really horrible reviews. I am always deeply concerned to read a negative review, I welcome constructive criticism as it is really important to know where you have gone wrong so we can learn from mistakes and improve. My team care as deeply as I do and we all want to offer really good food and service in the hotel.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

There are quite nice cakes here and the setting is superb. But the service is laughably awful. I live in York and quite often take visiting friends here for the joke of experiencing such incompetent waitressing.

4  Thank ibisofthenorth
Helen-Grays, Owner at Grays Court Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

I am perplexed by your review; if you truly find service so poor, why keep coming back? If it is to entertain your visitors as you say I could think of better things to do than make them watch you carp and criticise. York is full of wonderful places to visit and surely that would be a nicer thing to do than coming here to sneer at my staff.

I, and my team care deeply about the quality of our service and food, and welcome genuine criticism. If a mistake is made we need to know so that we can avoid it happening again, but as you have not bothered to let us know personally that you were unhappy there is not a lot I can do to address your complaints.

I am truly sorry that you find us so deficient, but I would suggest that you find your amusement elsewhere.

Helen

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We were really looking forward to afternoon tea at this historic venue. However, we were sorely disappointed. The food was below average. The ham sandwich quarters had so much mustard they were almost inedible. When we asked if there was an extra charge to replenish the sandwiches we were told "no" - so we did (this time we requested less mustard but they came with no mustard), and then we were charged £6. The pastry was like cardboard and inedible; for some reason creme brulee was included (not very afternoon tea!) and it was stodgy. The petite muffins were very dry. We had a long wait for the afternoon tea to be served, and when it did arrive our coffee and tea was cold. We had to chase the waiter for sugar, more hot water and milk. Staff were not attentive - and it was not busy. The whole ambiance of the place was a little shabby. Such a shame as this venue has so much potential. While we were waiting we saw two couples walk in - then walk out because there was no-one to attend to them. This beautiful building should be packed with people but it was almost empty on a Sunday afternoon. Recommend Betty's if you want a proper Yorkshire afternoon tea.

3  Thank AnnaXB
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Old friends suggested having lunch here during our them stay with. We were not disappointed, If you want a pub or bistro style meal, but in more elegant, calm and luxurious surroundings, then this is the place for you. We sat in comfy armchairs and enjoyed freshly prepared and cooked dishes: an excellent ploughman's, hot fish pies, a beetroot with cheese dish .... all washed down with a selection of local beers, very good coffee and (free) glasses of iced water. All the staff were atttentive, efficient and friendly. The courtyard, building and rooms are a visual delight and art work is displayed in many of the rooms. A very positive and thoroughly pleasant experience.

2  Thank alan p
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We recently stayed three nights. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable, the staff very friendly and the food was amazing.
My only negative comment is that we had to pay to park our car there at a rate of £15 per day. I thought this a bit steep as the cost of the room was already quite expensive, without adding parking as an extra cost on top.
But all in all a very enjoyable experience.

2  Thank JuJuEastSussex