“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #68 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Kent, United Kingdom
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Enjoyed York House for short city break. Welcoming on arrival and free parking. Good location. Room nice but could do with a bit of tlc(damp marks on ceiling and bathroom walls). Bed was really comfy. Nice and quiet even though we had a room at the front. Lovely breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to post a good review. The paint issue has been dealt with - I must admit that I hadn't seen it until I read your review and then I went to closely examine the bathroom and it would appear that the paint was being removed each time the walls were wiped down. I am pleased you were comfortable and enjoyed the food.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
uk
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed in Room 2, downstairs 4 poster room, and our friends was in room 1, we stopped for 2 nights while visiting York for a long weekend, warm friendly welcome, ensuite was lovely with a lovely big shower, the four poster bed was nice, complimentary tray with plenty of tea and coffee, breakfast was really nice and tasty, the place was very clean and will stay again, thank you for a great no problem stay, kind regards Steve & Teresa

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 2 are on the ground floor with lovely four poster beds.
1 Thank steve047
hep20, Manager at York House, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to post a very generous review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at York House, we do try to enhance your stay in York without being too intrusive but are almost always present to be of assistance should it be required. Thank you once again.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This was a lovely place to stay. Me and my partner stayed there from the 2nd to the 4th May. The room was lovely and the little touches that were put on were nice. Fluffy robes, complimentry hot chocolates, coffes, biscuits, horlicks and bathroom goodies too. Fresh water in a bottle everyday was very much appreciated. The owners were laid back and more then happy to give us directions to visit outside of York. It was all very relaxed and friendly. Thank you for such a lovely stay. Andrea

Room Tip: Dont have the twins beds stapped together if no double beds available. This was a request and nothin...
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your kind review. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, it was a shame there were no double rooms available for you but o course zip linking the two single beds together is not perfect and only done on request.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The good bits.. Staff & owners polite & friendly. Excellent breakfast in a nice conservatory (didn't like the TV being on though). Room clean & well made up.
The bad bits.. The outside of the house is unattractive and needs sprucing up. I can only comment about the room we where in which was room 1 on the ground floor at the front. Décor / furniture starting to look jaded / faded, a couple of pictures on the wall that looked like they had come for the charity shop. Bedding looking a bit old & discoloured, the mattress was extremely hard & very uncomfortable (I've thrown better mattresses away) it was so uncomfortable that neither myself or my wife had a good nights sleep in the three nights we where there. We paid £90 a night and in my opinion the room we had was not up to the standard I would expect from a £90 a night room. I think that you could do much better for the same money. We where there to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and I'm afraid to say the standard of the room spoiled it for us. I wouldn't stay there again and all honesty I would not recommend York House and we are not over fussy people.. I&D

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1, don't stay in rooms at the front of the house
1 Thank ian w
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy York House’s accommodation. It’s a shame you didn’t like the décor nor the new distressed effect furniture, we do aim to please all guests and hope they feel they have had good value. in comparison with other accommodation in York. It’s a shame you found that mattress (of hotel quality) too hard as it has only recently been replaced following comments that the previous one was too soft, it seems we can’t get it right all the time. If you had mentioned the outside directly to me I could have informed you that it is actually due to be painted at the beginning of June, the last time being 4 years ago well within the advertised longevity of the materials used.
All I can say is I am sorry you didn’t find too much to your satisfaction.
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed Friday 2nd May till Sunday 4 the May for our 10 yr wedding anniversary , we stayed in the 4 poster bed room 1 I think , room: was lovely very big good space for bags etc and still enough room without feeling cluttered , very clean and a lovely selection on tea tray of tea,coffee,biscuits etc and fresh water every morning , which was a very big thumbs up , the bathroom : shower was massive and very modern , mirror that came on with a wave of the hand was great , bathroom very clean
My husband ordered was in the room in an ice bucket which was nice and chilled for over arrival ,
Breakfast was cooked to order by the landlord , I went for full English , and hubby went for vegetarian breakfast that was a big thumbs up as with having a vegetarian it was nice for him to be catered for
They make you feel like a family not a guest great place to stay

1 Thank Lasafc24
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
We are so glad you enjoyed your wedding anniversary and that you liked York House. If you decide to visit York in the future we would love to meet you both once more.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We must say a big thank you to Katherine, David, Fiona and Jess for making us feel so much at home and for all the work they have put into making guests feel more like friends than strangers. We have had a great time staying with them and were sorry to leave. Friendly, amusing and looked after us really well. David is a mean cook too. The rooms are spotless with lots of goodies on the hospitality tray plus bathroom goodies too. Hope we get to see you in the future.
Wouldn't go anywhere else. Great value for money. Very good produce used too.
Good location with a bus stop (No 9) that takes you into York centre and drops you off opposite the hotel when you return. Thanks again

Room Tip: Back rooms quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you so much for your kind and generous review, Fiona and Jess really appreciate your kind comments too. I am so pleased we were able to enhance your stay in York and would be glad to see you both again in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We really enjoyed our stay, the staff were very friendly going out of there way to please. The rooms were very clean with complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits and the bath robes was a lovely touch, the bathroom was great really enjoyed the shower. Breakfast was lovely freshly cooked to order. All in all a great place to stay within easy walking distance to the city of York. Would definitely stay there again and recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your generous and positive review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at York House and would be very grateful if you could recommend York House to your friends and colleagues.