“Lovely apartments in a great location”

Victoria Cloisters Apartments
Ranked #24 of 50 Speciality Lodging in York
Manchester
“Lovely apartments in a great location”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Just stayed for two nights and was really impressed with these apartments, they are a high standard with every home comfort and the location is great for the city centre. There is everything you need and the breakfast in the Queens Hotel is a good standard with plenty of choice. I got an Amazon Local deal so it was great value and I wouldn't have found these apartments otherwise. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Karen M

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hua Hin Thailand
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Like other reviews we purchased our 3 night break from Amazon Local and paid a low price, and often your expectations are based on the price you pay, that said I would give it four stars, if I had paid full price I would give it two stars. Three stars due to the issues that follow.
I had already told the reception that I was disabled when booking, she made no mention of the apartments not being part of the hotel, they were a five minute walk away, easy for able bodied but not so convenient for those that prefer a bar and restaurant on site. Our main issue with the apartment was the dust, we are both allergic, hence neither of us could sit on the chair or settee or touch the blinds, the rest of the apartment was reasonable clean, except the carpet which was very dirty. Being in an apartment instead of a hotel room was no advantage to us due to the dust, asking them to come and solve the problem could have resulted in more dust in the air.
The location is convenient for the centre of York, with a few bars and restaurants about ten minutes walk away. Lastly the pictures on the website of the river with people sat outside enjoying a drink and meal are not of the hotel but of the view across the river.

Room Tip: All apartments involve stairs, some have a balcony off the lounge others don't, number 12 and 14...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redladybiker
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We enjoyed this Apartment. The centre of York is so compact and these Apartments are so well situated. They are very comfortable and well equipped ( although, strangely, no dish drainer.) Our
apartment, No 1, had very little move about space when the sofa bed was down. It would have suited a couple better.
We also had a problem checking in at the Queens Hotel as we were on the quayside (satnav + internet photos) then discovered the entrance was on the side street. However, when we did eventually get there, the Staff could not have been more helpful. We will most certainly return.
We parked internally, which was fantastic, but came at a cost. GBP 17.00 per night.

Room Tip: Am not aware of other Apartment sizes, but if a Sofa bed is involved it would be good to check if t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
scotland
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We (2 of us)stayed here for a 3 night break & got a fantastic deal through amazon local. 3nts b&b for £169! (We made breakfast once, which was fine) it literally is a 2 min walk, not a 'trek' as one reviewer said!
I read reviews before I went, so did know abt the £100 dep. (they never took it from our account, only a pre-authorisation which most hotels & appts take - tip, use a credit card & it's not out your bank account!)
We found the appartment to be fantastic. Great location, very comfortable & the beds were comfy too. Shower was great also. We were in appt 2, so no flight of steps for us! Gates/doors a bit of a faff - unlock to get in, then lock again when ur in. Unlock door into block, then unlock door into ur appartment. But hey, it's safe!
Would I stay here again? You bet I would!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Mac121
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

At the time of booking, we were NOT told about a £100 charge against 'damages', even though we had already paid for the stay IN FULL. £100 was taken after our stay (ie after we had left) and not returned for several days, despite there being no damage or problems. Isn't that fraud? We were so worried about making the place untidy, we couldn't really relax and ended up obsessively cleaning and listing all the marks and dents that were there when we arrived. Stupid. However, what upset me the most was the 'no single sex bookings' aspect - also not mentioned at the time of booking - and the lack of disabled access. For a modern building, that is appalling and made me feel as if it was a small-minded, discriminatory place I wouldn't want to stay in. Apart from that, there was the round-the-block trek to breakfast in the hotel in another street and the collection of keys, where we had nowhere to park and one of us had to stay in the car with the engine running - NOT the best first impression. The windows of the apartment either overlooked blank walls or other people's rubbish bags and we had to empty our own bins. To be fair, the apartment was very central and fairly comfortable, but the whole experience was so objectionable I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere if you want a relaxing break or you don't fancy 4 flights of stairs at the end of...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 11starlight19
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We booked through Hoseasons for around £300 for four people over a bank holiday weekend. I asked Hoseasons to confirm on my booking that there was a parking space with the apartment we had booked, which they did. However, checking in was a palaver to say the least.

We got to the Queens Hotel to pick up our keys at around 10.30pm, the gentlemen on the desk was lovely, but you could tell he didn't really know what he was doing. He asked me if I had booked a parking space, I said yes, as it was on my confirmation from Hoseasons, he said that that was not me booking a space, and I had to have done that seperately. This made me really annoyed as we had driven three hours and just wanted to get into the apartment! He then said we were 'lucky' that he had a space available for all three days which irritated me! Once we had sorted that, he then told me about the security deposit and said if I did it on Credit card, the money wouldn't be taken but would just be pre-authorised, but, he immediately put it through as a sale, which took the money from my card. This then made check in EVEN longer because he had to refund it and then do a pre-authorisation. Very irritating!
We also had to sign to say that money would be taken from us if the whole inventory wasn't still in the apartment upon check out - except they hadn't provided an inventory for us to look at at check in. Very bad practice.

The apartment itself is lovely, right in the city centre, modern, comfortable and clean. If we hadn't had such a bad check in experience, I would have given it 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

As the lady who gave the terrible review - we were only informed of the £100 deposit against damage a couple of days before our stay, long after we had confirmed and paid for the booking itself. I couldn't believe that they actually took the money out of my account on checking in, rather than simply hold the card details (which they already have as we paid for the booking with a card, obviously). They told me that they would credit it back to the account on the day we checked out, but in fact they didn't until 3 days later. Just lucky that I had enough to cover it. The apartments were very nice, but we felt on edge while we were there in case we did accidentally damage something; very glad that we didn't have the kids with us, because that would have made it even worse! As it was, we took a photo inventory of every dent and mark in the paint or decor as insurance!
It is in a brilliant location for York city centre, but there was certainly no view from any of the windows in our apartment. We were lucky enough to have booked in time to bag a parking space in the courtyard which saved us another £30.
Breakfast was plentiful and, because we were up early, we didn't have to wait to get a table - not sure what it would be like later, though because the dining room was pretty tiny.
It did strike us as somewhat discriminatory that they didn't allow single-sex bookings (I went with my sister and we joked that they might demand DNA testing!) and, to be honest, the access was poor for anyone with a disability - no lifts to apartments and the security gates on the carpark would be a nightmare to negotiate with a wheelchair.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends