“Poor man's Betty's Tea Rooms”
Review of Bullivant of York

Bullivant of York
Ranked #342 of 920 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$1 - US$24
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: English tea rooms serving home-made scones, cakes and jams. Perfect for all day breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea - including our "Vintage High Tea" served on beautiful, delicate vintage china. All meals are freshly prepared to order.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We called off here as Betty's tea rooms were queuing around the block on the sunday afternoon.

In my opinon this place is like an old peoples home with its dated decor- it just feels grubby and not cared for.

We opted for the Afternoon tea, which had a choice of sandwiches of which you were only allowed one, a fruit scone and a cuppa tea myself opting for lady grey.

Myself and my partner had the chicken and cranberry and the wensleydale and plum chutney sandwiches and decided to share and half of each other's.

I was a little disappointed as the sandwiches were a little bland, the scones were a little dry but the saving grace was the jam which was delicious.

The tea in the chipped cups were a little off putting too I just feel like this place needs a little more TLC and it would make this a nice little tea shop in York, but I feel its definently in the shadows of Betty's tea rooms as it is now!!

3  Thank Rachel

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Came here on our first day in York so wanted to try the 'cream tea' experience. It was at about 4:30pm and no doubt our fruit scones had been there all day and were extremely dry. They also had hardly any raisins/sultanas in them, which added to the dryness.

We were given a choice of unusual-sounding home-made jams and the ones we chose were nice, but to be honest I would prefer to have had a couple of standard choices in there as well (e.g. strawberry) instead of pineapple-and-pear.

Based on that we wouldn't have wanted to go back again, but on our last day in York all of the other tearooms seemed full (Betty's were queuing round the block), so we decided to give Bullivant another go. My husband had a pale-looking '?baked' potato with smoked haddock which was OK. I had a vegetable soup, which tasted alright but had a horrible texture, which I think might have come from the skins of tough bits of sweetcorn, which didn't taste of anything and definitely didn't feel nice in the mouth.

The staff were friendly, the atmosphere is nice, and the restaurant is in a good location, but on a busy day it just feels like the place is churning out food that is adequate rather than putting much care and attention into what the customers are served.

1  Thank K V
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I've had scones or lunch or a snack here a few times over the years and, for York, which can often be over priced and touristy, I really rate this little tea room. Everything is freshly prepared and seems to be homemade. Tea is served in china cups and staff are friendly. I was very tempted to go and drag the Chinese couple I had shown the way to Betty's out of the inevitable queue and bring them here instead. Better value, no queue and an authentic English tearoom experience.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Tried here for afternoon tea as been to Betty's quite a few times but is now getting a bit over the top on price.
Chose the afternoon tea special which comprised of freshly made sandwiches (several choices of fillings)fruit scone with cream and jam of your choice and tea of your choice for £21 for two people.
The sandwiches were made with fresh thickly cut bread and a filling of tuna and mayonnaise,the nicest we have tasted in a long time ,fresh scone (bit on the crumbly side) but still nice and twinnings tea.
This a quaint little tea room centrally located with nice surroundings and very good service and we'll worth a visit as a cheaper option to the others.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This was a friendly enough place which served an adequate set of sandwiches and tea, I would not discourage anyone from going there, but there is nothing to make it specially worth searching out.