“Convenient, if you don't want to spend too much”
Review of Safestay York

Safestay York
Ranked #9 of 50 Speciality Lodging in York
Geneva
“Convenient, if you don't want to spend too much”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Typical youth hostel, so certainly ok for young people. In general the street in which the hotel is located is quiet. Not far away from the train station. For the city centre it is already quite a walk. The breakfast is very simple and depending on the hour overcrowded.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I think that it is a waste to transform such a beautiful house into a hostel rather than a 5-star hotel. But I am happy that I stayed there.The location is good- it is only a free minutes' walk from the train station and 15 minutes from the city center. There is wc and shower inside the dorm rooms so it is handy. The staff are friendly and the breakfast is great.

• Stayed September 2013
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed at the Ace Hostel for one night as a group of 10 visiting York for a stag doo. This was the first time I had stayed in a hostel and I was not expecting anything outstanding, I would imagine for a hostel the Ace is of a fairly good standard. The group was split and I stayed in a room for 4, the room was fairly large and we had plenty of room. We stayed in one of the basement rooms and can confirm one of the recent reviews that the room did smell a little mouldy, my bed linen however did look and smell clean. We had no issues with staff and the people we dealt with were friendly enough. I have read previous reviews about noise issues but we never had this issue and had a very quiet night and slept well. We did also notice the shower curtain was very dirty as was areas around taps etc and I think some more attention could be given to cleanliness in the bathrooms. Overall however if I had to stay in a hostel again for a cheap overnight stay in York I would be happy enough to return here.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The one thing that makes this hostel stand out is the building: a lovely, old building, which seemed a bit too nice for a hostel really! The little signs with information about the history of each room beside the doors was a very nice touch. However every other aspect of this hostel was quite average.
I stayed with a friend in a 10 bed female dorm for 2 nights. The bunk beds were very wobbly - every time the person below me moved, my bed moved a lot. Not in a dangerous way, but not exactly helpful when trying to get to sleep. The bathroom in our dorm was quite dirty, although there was another bathroom on our floor which was in slightly better condition. Both shower rooms were very small however, and the toilet and sink got quite wet when you used the shower. Breakfast was ok - fruit, toast, and croissants with a choice of jams and butter. There was also a small guest kitchen which was handy. Free wifi, although it didn't reach our room - we could only use it in the lounge, which was comfortable and generally not busy. Good location for the city centre and all major attractions. Also good location for the pubs and bars - there were a LOT of hen parties and club goers, which woke us up during the night. I imagine if you're not staying on a Friday or Saturday night that this isn't such a problem.
Overall, a decent place to stay, but nothing special - especially when, in hind sight, we could have stayed in a hotel for the same price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed here (a group of four) for one night in Aug 2013 and it was awful, we were put down in the basement. The room smelt of mold, and there was a corner of the room covered in mold. The beds from the previous guests were still intact ie linen had not been changed and refreshed with clean linen! There was not curtains in the room so people walking along the street above us could see into our room. The staff were extremely rude when we rang to confirm our booking! Very disappointing! Not value for money! We stayed in another hostel £11 cheaper that was 100x nicer.
The bathroom was revolting! Mold all up the shower curtain

Room Tip: Ask to not be in the basement was horrible!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zoe M
Tromso, Norway
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed at this hostel for two days in July, 2013. It was utterly amazing! The architecture of this hostel is breathtaking, even though I wasn't looking for anything special. I'm a backpacker and I'll sleep almost anywhere and this place was beautiful. There is a kitchen, a gameroom and a big lounge with the most excellent furniture ever invented: Chesterfield couches and chairs. I love Chesterfield. Google it and see the pictures of this furniture. I felt like a million bucks.

The staff is the most helpful crew I have ever encountered on my many travels. Friendly and serviceminded to the fingertips. The hostel is located a few steps from the railstation AND very close to the city wall. So when you have decided to walk the wall (yeah, when you are in York, you must walk the wall... it goes around the city, c'mon!), you can just step outside of the hostel and BAM! there it is.

The city is a historical playground, (I'm a norwegian archeologist, Vikings and stuff), and the houses have the cute charming feature... well, remember the town from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast"? That's York. Bell is missing out, she can keep her prince. Join one the many walking tours. I hanged with a free tour guide and payed him afterwards but only if I wanted to. Nice one.

Peace and love from Norway and you're welcome, York. Or should I say Jorvik?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AnnieFromTheNorth
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our party of 19 were really pleased with our stay at the hostel, we were all
pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness of the rooms and the friendliness of
the staff, plus it's a great central location. We would definitely come again!
Thanks!