Safestay York
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbed dormgreat locationprivacy curtainsgames roomtrain stationprivate bathroomshower and toiletbeautiful buildinghen partyno liftenjoyed my staycity centretop floorshort stayhostelbedsdormitory
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The room was clean, and comfortable. While a little crowded, it wasn't unreasonable. The breakfast was a simple continental breakfast. I was there during the off season, but I can see how it would be crowded in the morning. The street outside was very noisy, but a pair of earplugs took care of that. The location was great, with everything within easy walking distance. My only complaint was that the bunk beds were very wobbly, so whenever one of the people sharing the bed moved, the bed shook and wobbled and creaked.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Typical youth hostel, so certainly ok for young people. In general the street in which the hotel is located is quiet. Not far away from the train station. For the city centre it is already quite a walk. The breakfast is very simple and depending on the hour overcrowded.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I think that it is a waste to transform such a beautiful house into a hostel rather than a 5-star hotel. But I am happy that I stayed there.The location is good- it is only a free minutes' walk from the train station and 15 minutes from the city center. There is wc and shower inside the dorm rooms so it is handy. The staff are friendly and the breakfast is great.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed at the Ace Hostel for one night as a group of 10 visiting York for a stag doo. This was the first time I had stayed in a hostel and I was not expecting anything outstanding, I would imagine for a hostel the Ace is of a fairly good standard. The group was split and I stayed in a room for 4, the room was fairly large and we had plenty of room. We stayed in one of the basement rooms and can confirm one of the recent reviews that the room did smell a little mouldy, my bed linen however did look and smell clean. We had no issues with staff and the people we dealt with were friendly enough. I have read previous reviews about noise issues but we never had this issue and had a very quiet night and slept well. We did also notice the shower curtain was very dirty as was areas around taps etc and I think some more attention could be given to cleanliness in the bathrooms. Overall however if I had to stay in a hostel again for a cheap overnight stay in York I would be happy enough to return here.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The one thing that makes this hostel stand out is the building: a lovely, old building, which seemed a bit too nice for a hostel really! The little signs with information about the history of each room beside the doors was a very nice touch. However every other aspect of this hostel was quite average.
I stayed with a friend in a 10 bed female dorm for 2 nights. The bunk beds were very wobbly - every time the person below me moved, my bed moved a lot. Not in a dangerous way, but not exactly helpful when trying to get to sleep. The bathroom in our dorm was quite dirty, although there was another bathroom on our floor which was in slightly better condition. Both shower rooms were very small however, and the toilet and sink got quite wet when you used the shower. Breakfast was ok - fruit, toast, and croissants with a choice of jams and butter. There was also a small guest kitchen which was handy. Free wifi, although it didn't reach our room - we could only use it in the lounge, which was comfortable and generally not busy. Good location for the city centre and all major attractions. Also good location for the pubs and bars - there were a LOT of hen parties and club goers, which woke us up during the night. I imagine if you're not staying on a Friday or Saturday night that this isn't such a problem.
Overall, a decent place to stay, but nothing special - especially when, in hind sight, we could have stayed in a hotel for the same price.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends