“Horrendous Night!”
Review of Safestay York

Safestay York
Ranked #13 of 54 Speciality Lodging in York
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed at the Ace York Hostel with a group of friends and my first impression was a good one. The Hostel was very clean and the staff were very helpful. However after a full day in York and an Indian Meal from the restaurant across the road we were ready for a good nights sleep and subsequently we were all tucked up in bed by around 11:30 pm.

There were 12 of us in total staying at the Hostel, half of us stayed in a room across the landing and the other half stayed in room number 6. What a Mistake! I climbed into my bunk bed thoroughly exhausted and I couldn't believe what happened next!

The noise from the Dance Club below was deafening to say the least. The windows, bed and even myself were vibrating violently with the noise of the music below, the only thing missing from our room was a dance floor because the noise was that loud and the beat that aggressive, you felt has though you were in the Dance Club itself. The vibrations were horrendous!

After about 3 hours of no sleep what's so ever we couldn't stand it any longer and one of my friends complained and we were then offered to be moved to an empty room across the hall. We had just settled down to try and get some well needed sleep when at 7.30 am all the fire alarms went off and we then had to vacate this room.

What I couldn't understand is why the staff at the Ace York Hostel didn't put us in this quite room over looking the street in the first place because the Hostel Staff were apparently well aware of this problem from the Dance Club and they had regular complaints about the noise. We were also informed that the Dance Club have just put in a new sound speaker system which enhances the noise even more.

I would advise the owners of the Ace York Hostel to not use the rooms that over look the Dance Club when they have a Rave/Dance taking place because I have never experienced noise and Vibrations like that before in my life whilst trying to sleep!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank watkinson1
There are newer reviews for Safestay York

Reviewed 14 January 2014

This place is clean and everything you would expect of a hostel. Staff very nice, bathroom small but perfectly formed, beds comfy everything was fine. My initial impression was that I would stay again. However, the website's subtle mention of the noise that may disturb children is misleading, as it was too noisy even for adults. I have children and thankfully they did not accompany me. We were a party of 12 split into 2 dorms of 8 and 6.

The dorm of 8 was on the quiet side of the hostel; I was in the 6 bed dorm on the noisy side. We returned to our room to hear music and immediately felt the room vibrating from the dance club that was nearby. We tried to sleep but gave up at 3am. I love this type of music but not when I am trying to sleep. After complaining we were offered another room on the quiet side. I believe from post research that the club actually closes at 4am. The hostel clearly was aware of the problem and I found it incredible that they did not offer a quiet room in the first instance, knowing they were not full, albeit it had more beds in it. We found out the next day that the police were regular visitors to the dance club because of complaints and recently an improved sound system for the patrons had been installed to the further detriment of the hostel guests.

It really was the night from hell, which was then further exacerbated by the fire alarm sounding at 7.30am. This was not the fault of the hostel.

So if you plan on sleeping after 4am, this place is perfect.

Room Tip: The 8+ dorms are on the quieter side apparently.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We decided to try out a hostel as we couldn't get a hotel in York for less than £50 per person so this worked out at half the price! As there were 8 of us we booked a dorm for 8 and the reception were kind enough to allocate us all together. You are first of all struck by the beautiful building - it really is stunning inside and out. The dorm was extremely clean as was the bathroom and bedding. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful - there was always someone on hand to answer your questions. There are bars all around the area (next door but one being the first) but we did not experience much noise despite overlooking the road. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I loved this hostel and wished I could have stayed longer. Staff were so welcoming, the room (10 bed dorm) was huge and not to mention the building itself is gorgeous. The mattress and pillow were so comfy, I had a great night's sleep. Breakfast was good and included in the price. The common room downstairs has lots of couches. My only (small) complaint is that the Internet didn't work in my room on the third floor, but worked on the ground, first, and second floors. Despite that, I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 December 2013

York, is one of the most haunted cities in Europe. But your not going to be frightened by the accommodation and hospitality of this, 'hostel'. In fact, the very term hostel, is barely fitting for this large imposing, Georgian building. Before you enter, throw out any preconceived ideas of a hostel being in a dilapidated ,ageing building,with dirty mattresses and various equally dilapidated people. Some 18 months and £2 million has been spent bringing the Ace into the 21 century.. The rooms are bright,airy and the bunkbeds remind you more of Porridge than Pentonville. The bunk bed experience ,will take you back to your schooldays. Six people,sharing a room like children once more ,. It was half the fun of visiting York. But if it's the modern world you seek. The Ace is wired with free, WiFi throughout with a free Internet room, complete with Big screen t/v and Chesterfields. A 24 hour bar, very helpful desk staff, who know every nook and cranny of York and literally round the corner from the train station. The Ace Hostel is your one stop location to explore everything York has to offer..but be warned, although the Ace is easy on the wallet. and immense fun..York on the other hand is fun, but not too easy on the wallet !!

Room Tip: Book early, this place fills up quick and for a good reason !!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I recently had a "hen weekend" in this hostel and was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and quality of the rooms. The staff were lovely and nothing was too much trouble for them. I am the wrong side of 40 but the hen and her friends are all 20 and 30 somethings so I was expecting cheap and cheerful. I was impressed and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Trying to organise 21 hens over a weekend was similar to herding cats, however Brian and his team were extremely patient and helpful from the initial enquiry until our departure. They let our group have sole use of the games room while we played our hen do games and let us use their DVD player. The drinks were SO cheap! £1 per bottle but I think we were just lucky as they were getting rid of some stock. Rooms were clean, bright and airy with high ceilings and huge sash windows- we hired the 14 bed and 10 bed dorms and had a great night. Great value accommodation in the heart of York, we'll be back!Kellie

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends