“Near-perfect”

Ranked #6 of 50 Speciality Lodging in York
Perth, Australia
“Near-perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Getting negatives out of the way first; the wifi is only usable in the common areas, and there's a lot of noise from a nearby club. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Ace York. The beds are comfortable, and linen, etc. is provided. The staff were always incredibly approachable and friendly, and the free breakfast goes a little beyond the hostel-standard toast and juice with croissants and a small variety of fruit.

Location wise, the area feels very safe, and is surrounded by restaurants and pubs, with two supermarkets being no more than 5 minutes away by foot, and it's an easy 10 minute walk to most of the sights worth seeing.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Juic3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I booked this hostel for my hen night with 28 guests aged between 24 and 67. We used the hostel facilities to have a tea party in the afternoon and then we had a life drawing class in the basement! We booked out all the rooms so didn't have to share with randoms! Staff were friendly and accomodating, hostel was clean and tidy and I couldn't fault it! I will certainly stay again!
Yes there were drunks and noise but I'd expect little else from the location and a Saturday night.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hereford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

It is all too easy to judge a hotel or restaurant on one very good or bad experience and to give an accurate picture of what to expect you need to either visit at different times of the year, on different days or look at reviews from people who have done.

I'm moving to York with work and have been staying at the Hostel for the last 2 weeks whilst waiting for a house share to be ready so have a pretty good idea of what you can expect.
First impressions are impressive and the building is very spacious and has lots of period features. It is well located near the center of York and within easy walking distance of many great restaurants and attractions.

The continental breakfast although not amazing is included in the price and you can basically eat as much as you like. You are able to grab tea and coffee throughout the day for free as well. The bunk beds are reasonably comfortable and the sheets and duvet covers are clean. You do however have to make your own bed.

The lounge area has loads of leather armchairs, free books and a vending machine if you are feeling peckish. There is a washing machine and tumble dryer for the use of guests tucked away in a cupboard down in the basement and all in all this side of the facilities is great.

The staff as well are an asset and in my two weeks I found them to be very polite and helpful and took the time to help as much as they could and if I had to choose the best feature of the hostel they would be it.

However don't get lulled into a sense of comfort as underneath the veneer and as you have read in other reviews things are often terrible.

WiFi - Billed as free it certainly is when it works which for me in two weeks was probably 6 out of 14 days. Staff admit there is a problem. I suspect it is down to the fact that the WiFi is worked from the computer corner in the lounge rather than a private area and the wannabe computer geeks won't leave it alone and keep messing with it with the result it rarely works - Tip to Management. Set the WiFi up professionally and in a location where no-one can fiddle with it. With most of the guests during my stay coming from overseas reliable WiFi should be, well reliable. Also don't expect to get it anywhere other than the lounge. I couldn't get it on the first floor or even in the ground floor dining room.

Bathrooms and hot water. Each room is billed as en-suite. Which they are if you call a tiny cramped smelly plastic prefab cubicle with toilet sink and shower en-suite. For a large hostel the bathroom facilities were lacking. I stayed in room 2 which had 14 beds and one shower. As there were other similar sized rooms again only with one shower I suspect that in busy periods you will struggle to get shower time. There are two extra showers , one on the 2nd floor and one on the 3rd but invariably the hot water in the 2nd floor shower had tripped off. I tried to use this one as due to the number of beds in my dorm and the fact that the prefab shower / toilet was about 4 feet away from someones pillow it was off putting to say the least to use it whilst people were in the room. The showers vented into the room and you could her every little noise from within.

Whilst the sheets were clean the room was not with a large build up of dust and hair under the bunks. The shower/toilet cubicles by their design got damp and smelly after only one use so were usually pretty unpleasant.

Both the WiFi and hot water problems were mentioned repeatedly to the staff who left what they were doing to come and try and fix them. I asked why things never actually got fixed properly despite being a known issue and was told that all they could do was mention the problems to Brian. Well Brian, I don't know who you are but for heavens sake sort yourself out. Guests expect problems to be fixed and I'm sure the staff don't want the stress of constantly having to stop what they are doing to patch up something you are supposed to sort out.

Drunks - Be aware that the Hostel is used as a cheap place to stay by stag and hen parties as well as groups of lads just out on the town in York. This might be ok if the hostel put them in their own room but you are more than likely going to end up sharing a room with these idiots on the weekend. Here the staff do fall down as they seem to take no responsibility for other guests and just allow groups of rowdy drunks to roll in making a noise whatever time they want.

On my last night I hardly got any sleep as I was sharing room 2 with at least 2 separate groups of lads who were clearly out on a bender. The first got in at about 2.30 am and stumbled around whispering in fake stage whispers, using the toilet and generally behaving like a load of a schoolkids. Just as these idiots had finally shut up after about an hour a second group of lads crashed in. I could hear them coming the minute the front door of the hostel opened and they didn't even try to be quiet or talk softly. After about 15 minutes one of their number left and went out to try and find the rest resulting in another noisy entry at about 4.30 am. One of them spent the night singing to himself and was still going at 6.30 am when I decided to give up trying to sleep and went down to breakfast. The night receptionist seemed surprised I was upset but didn't have a very good grasp of English so I gave up trying to complain to him.

What makes the hostel a good location during the day turns it into a terrible location at night as it is in an area surrounded by nightclubs and pubs. Do expect to be kept awake at weekends by horrendously loud music from the club at the rear and by screaming and shouting drunks walking down the street outside the front.

I'm sad to give this place a poor rating as it is actually a very nice place during the day and early evening. However there seems to be no-one actually taking care of the regular problems and the individual staff whilst very helpful are a little out of their depth at times.

Do stay here during the week during the off season but avoid this place like the plague at weekend and when it is packed.

Room Tip: Don't stay at weekends unless you are partying and don't intend to sleep.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank GlynGlobal
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed at the Ace York Hostel with a group of friends and my first impression was a good one. The Hostel was very clean and the staff were very helpful. However after a full day in York and an Indian Meal from the restaurant across the road we were ready for a good nights sleep and subsequently we were all tucked up in bed by around 11:30 pm.

There were 12 of us in total staying at the Hostel, half of us stayed in a room across the landing and the other half stayed in room number 6. What a Mistake! I climbed into my bunk bed thoroughly exhausted and I couldn't believe what happened next!

The noise from the Dance Club below was deafening to say the least. The windows, bed and even myself were vibrating violently with the noise of the music below, the only thing missing from our room was a dance floor because the noise was that loud and the beat that aggressive, you felt has though you were in the Dance Club itself. The vibrations were horrendous!

After about 3 hours of no sleep what's so ever we couldn't stand it any longer and one of my friends complained and we were then offered to be moved to an empty room across the hall. We had just settled down to try and get some well needed sleep when at 7.30 am all the fire alarms went off and we then had to vacate this room.

What I couldn't understand is why the staff at the Ace York Hostel didn't put us in this quite room over looking the street in the first place because the Hostel Staff were apparently well aware of this problem from the Dance Club and they had regular complaints about the noise. We were also informed that the Dance Club have just put in a new sound speaker system which enhances the noise even more.

I would advise the owners of the Ace York Hostel to not use the rooms that over look the Dance Club when they have a Rave/Dance taking place because I have never experienced noise and Vibrations like that before in my life whilst trying to sleep!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank watkinson1
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

This place is clean and everything you would expect of a hostel. Staff very nice, bathroom small but perfectly formed, beds comfy everything was fine. My initial impression was that I would stay again. However, the website's subtle mention of the noise that may disturb children is misleading, as it was too noisy even for adults. I have children and thankfully they did not accompany me. We were a party of 12 split into 2 dorms of 8 and 6.

The dorm of 8 was on the quiet side of the hostel; I was in the 6 bed dorm on the noisy side. We returned to our room to hear music and immediately felt the room vibrating from the dance club that was nearby. We tried to sleep but gave up at 3am. I love this type of music but not when I am trying to sleep. After complaining we were offered another room on the quiet side. I believe from post research that the club actually closes at 4am. The hostel clearly was aware of the problem and I found it incredible that they did not offer a quiet room in the first instance, knowing they were not full, albeit it had more beds in it. We found out the next day that the police were regular visitors to the dance club because of complaints and recently an improved sound system for the patrons had been installed to the further detriment of the hostel guests.

It really was the night from hell, which was then further exacerbated by the fire alarm sounding at 7.30am. This was not the fault of the hostel.

So if you plan on sleeping after 4am, this place is perfect.

Room Tip: The 8+ dorms are on the quieter side apparently.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

We decided to try out a hostel as we couldn't get a hotel in York for less than £50 per person so this worked out at half the price! As there were 8 of us we booked a dorm for 8 and the reception were kind enough to allocate us all together. You are first of all struck by the beautiful building - it really is stunning inside and out. The dorm was extremely clean as was the bathroom and bedding. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful - there was always someone on hand to answer your questions. There are bars all around the area (next door but one being the first) but we did not experience much noise despite overlooking the road. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I loved this hostel and wished I could have stayed longer. Staff were so welcoming, the room (10 bed dorm) was huge and not to mention the building itself is gorgeous. The mattress and pillow were so comfy, I had a great night's sleep. Breakfast was good and included in the price. The common room downstairs has lots of couches. My only (small) complaint is that the Internet didn't work in my room on the third floor, but worked on the ground, first, and second floors. Despite that, I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo