“Love this place”
Review of Black Swan Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Black Swan Inn
Ranked #74 of 192 York B&B and Inns
“Love this place”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed here for my husbands birthday and enjoyed every minute. Couldn't fault the place in any way.
On arrival we found the staff very friendly, we was taken to our room which was full of character almost as though we had stepped back in time. The room had a four poster bed and was very clean.
We decided to have an evening meal there which was delicious and huge portions. The following day we had breakfast which was fantastic. I took a picture to show my friends as there was so much choice and again large portions.
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed staying here and I cannot wait to stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Great Harwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Had a lovely time staying here. The room was great and the inn was really atmospheric. Excellent food and service. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The inn was near to all sights, shopping, restaurants and other bars. Will be going back hopefully for a longer stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
north east
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My husband & I stayed in this quirky pub for my 30th. The room was lovely and cosy and clean. It attracted us because it is apparently haunted but we didn't see or hear anything. The pub has a substantial history and lots of character. It was constantly busy with a great atmosphere. We didn't get chance to try the breakfast as we stayed up too late in the bar the previous night but judging by how many places and rooms were set out for Sunday dining I expect the food is lovely. Staff very friendly and polite. 5 min walk to centre.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The Black Swan Inn offers a really quirky place to stay. The pub itself is really old with small cosy rooms and an excellent selection of cask ales and other drinks. The locals were very friendly and made us welcome. The breakfast was the best I have had in any hotel or B&B by far - it really was locally sourced, home cooked food. You could taste the difference! The only bit of a let down was the squeaky four poster bed, it was very comfy but a bit wobbly. The old staircase is amazing and the staff are all great. Unfortunately we could have an evening meal as they were fully booked - so I would suggest booking in advance. Great location right in the City Centre a few minutes walk from the Shambles. We didn't see any ghosts so we'll have to go back again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JaneTess31
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Anyone wishing to enjoy the time-warp experience of service without a smile,an unhelpful response to a reasonable request for information about an event upstairs, and a drink not resembling anything you may care to order from a charmless member of staff might like to try this fascinating but poorly ventilated location for a truly mystifying experience.
Apparently, food is sometimes available, (but not for the convenience of patrons).
Curiosity value only.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Michael T
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This old building is the home of the black swan Inn. when you get in is like you are back in time, with all this nice decoration. And then comes the food... Everything is delicious! I've been there many times and I have tried almost everything. They have a superb burger but I suggest to go for the plates that you can't find them every day, like pigeon pie or liver and bacon. Moreover, the mix grill is more than perfect. During the summer period you can enjoy your beer or food in a nice open space. Their selection of beers is just what you need for accompanying your meal!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stayed here with my fiancée for three nights at the beginning of August it's Certainly one of the best places to stay in York. The location of this pub was ideal its literally five minutes walk from the centre of York, there are two nice beer gardens at the rear of the pub there is also a huge car park here. Our room was immaculate and clean. There is such a great sense of history here, with an excellent atmosphere, then I come to what I think makes the black Swan so unique....the staff, I have never experienced such fantastic hospitality it really turned our stay in York into something very special. The breakfast in morning was HUGE oh and there was also a good selection of well kept beers - I would recommend that if your going to York stay at the Black Swan.

• Stayed August 2013