“Charming Inn well placed for York's delights”
Review of Black Swan Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Black Swan Inn
Ranked #64 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2014

A great place to stay for a York City break. Its close enough to walk to the main attractions. The Inn is charming, full of olde world atmosphere with a great dining room - the breakfasts were delicious. The staff were very polite and helpful (see later though). We stayed in the Cottage Room with its 4 poster and en suite. The bathroom needs a mention: the large shower tray desperately needs a non-slip mat. I slipped over and then asked for a mat but none was forthcoming. There are no grab handles either so its a serious injury claim in the waiting. Also we asked for the shaving light to be repaired as well as having to ask for loo paper. Both should not need to be requested; the staff should check these facilities daily. The layout of the mirror/light/sink needs a rethink too.

Room Tip: The Cottage Room is on the front facing the main road but it wasn't too noisy. I recommend it b...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank john_helen_London

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We called in on a visit to the village, its the only pub in the village which allows dogs, My dog is a Bedlington terrier, the staff were lovely with him, gave him his own water bowl. We had a stop of lunch off the lunch menu and it was lovely, I had steak sandwich and order a extra portion of chips due to the meal can with crisps, My dad and I shared the chips. the atmosphere was lovely and relaxed. Good choice of local beers and wine list. This is a lovely hotel. I will return and stay over night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I had a great time with a party of 12 enjoying a huge Portion of fish and chips plus many pints. Pete and Carolyn (I hope spelt it right) were very kind about the separate checks and were great to talk too. I really enjoyed my few hours there and will definitely go back for a few more pints!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thecip
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely atmosphere,great food and very reasonably priced.lots of history in the building and was like stepping back in time.good location for the city if staying over.would definatley recommend to others.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This beautiful, quirky 600-year old pub/hotel is in the middle of mostly modern development, but a 10 minute walk from York Minster and the centre of the city. Wonderful ancient staircase was crying out for a new carpet. Cosy bars, excellent breakfast and great, good-value meals. Priceless (but limited) on-site parking. Our 'twin' room at the front of the hotel consisted of a small room with 2 twin beds end to end, and another larger room with a double 4-poster. Traffic noise was not really a problem. Bit too much dust and fluff in the corners, especially in the bathroom, and placement of mirrors was hopeless! The bathroom mirror was on the opposite wall to the basin. Made my husband's shaving sessions interesting. Lighting was very poor.

Room Tip: If you are very sensitive to noise, ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The food here is amazing and the portions enormous. The steak and stilton pie is the best I have ever tasted. The pub is an attractive 15th century inn, the staff are helpful and there is a decent selection of drinks. The only problem is that it often gets booked up with coach parties and ends food quite early in the evening, so booking in advance is advisable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I visited the Black Swan on a busy Sunday luchtime - we had not booked. We approached to landlord who was very friendly and helpful, he managed to squeeze us in to the already packed pub. The food was amazing - all home made and delicious. It was reasonably priced and atmosphere was very relaxed. Would highly recommend a visit!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
The Parisi Hotel
Park Inn by Radisson York
Hilton York
Hilton York
#38 of 47 in York

Been to Black Swan Inn? Share your experiences!