“News years eve dinner”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Please delete this page
“News years eve dinner”
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I searched for hours trying to find the perfect restaurant to treat my partner. I pre paid the £90 and pre ordered our meal. On arrival we were impressed with the appearance of the hotel and the luxury in the drawing room and furnishing only to be slightly disappointed by the brasserie downstairs (no signage to the brasserie. The only signage was to the toilets). Although the restaurant atmosphere seemed relaxed I expected more for my £90, maybe table linen. We were seated to a pub table and asked to choose from the menu. I explained that we had pre-ordered but the waitress said they couldn't find our order. After re-ordering we waited no time at all before each course came out one after the other and we felt a bit rushed. We ordered the beef for our main course and realized we hadn't specified how we preferred it cooked but it was too late as it was in front of us within minutes of realizing. Mine came medium cooked but my partners was rare-blue with his plate swimming in blood. He ate it and didn't complain as he didn't want to seem ungrateful for the effort I had put in, I later found out. As it happens the beef was beautiful and full of flavour. Overall I felt that it was over priced, we were rushed and the restaurant/pub/brasserie/fine dining was very confusing

1 Thank Dawnus666

EasT Hampton, NY, USA
“Nice ending to a perfect day in York.”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Took a nice train ride from London, arrived in York to find this beautiful and cozy hotel. Perfect place and location to stay when in York.

• Visited September 2013
York
“Nice meal.”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My wife and I came here for an aniversary evening meal midweek September 2013. Believe the cellar bar is called the bunker, and you can see why because of the lay-out and decor. Unfortunately the first thing we noticed was a glass shelf above the bar that held drinking glasses and this was filthy, a bit of housekeeping needed there. The staff were all friendly and smiley, and attended to us without delay. We both had different 3 course meals. My wife had a chicken pate' for starter, and I had a scotch egg, but were good and tasty. For the mains she had seabass, and I had fish pie, again both were good, and sweets were parkin and cream (a bit like sticky toffee) for my wife, and rhubarb based cheesecake for me. All in all a very enjoyable meal, would recommend to others.

• Visited September 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
“Casual, welcoming, relaxing.”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We ate here because it was close to our hotel. You go down in the cellar...........it is a bar that does food. I you want a la carte you are in the wrong place. The staff were informal but friendly. Very welcoming. The menu not too long. The food is presumably cooked in the same kitchens as or the restaurant up stairs. I had fishcake to start - my husband squid. Nice. I had the hick pea tagine and he ad the burger. What a massive burger! Handmade we would imagine. Then my husband had - what he described as - THE BEST ICE CREAM EVER. I had the vanilla cheesecake mousse, which was quite rich. We had a good meal, chatted together and least. A pleasant evening. It was not overly busy - if it were then the atmosphere would be more light hearted may be? It was a bit quiet. Nothing they can do about that. It was Tuesday and there are numerous places to eat in York. They cannot all be full all the time.

• Visited August 2013
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I visited here on Monday as we had difficulties getting a table for the hotel we were staying in up the road and I thoroughly enjoyed the steak I had, it was absolutely excellent. Although my partner and I had both decided against a starter (nothing we fancied, personal choice though rather than lack of choice) our waitress brought bread and butter (of varying types) with olives and olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Although this in itself doesn't sound special, it truly was, there were 3 types of butter, one with parmesan, one with tomato mixed in and set and the final one was salt and pepper. The first two butters were cracking, but did not try the third as my partner and I had eaten the bread by that point. All in all excellent service and brilliant food.

Visited July 2013