“Good food and service on "quiet night"”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Cellar Bar at The Grange Hotel
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Please delete this page
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I chose the cellar bar rather than the Ivy restaurant as I am currently on a low carb diet and the menu seemed more adaptable to this. The bar is quiet and fairly dark with lowish ceilings and lots of partitions making it intimate and friendly; as a lone traveller I had a good table without being exposed or pushed to the edge of the room. There were only 3 tables occupied when I was in there and one was family of Americans, the daughters were very loud and their grasp on English history appalling - but entertaining, if a little heavy on the decibels. The service was welcoming and polite and the menu and specials well explained. In the end I chose the fish special which was skate with a caper butter and fresh steamed vegetables. It was excellent. The individual key lime meringue pie was done to perfection (don't tell the diet police) and the glass of house wine very acceptable. The only quibble was that I asked for my coffee with my desert and it came afterwards - no drama though! All in all, very pleasant.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The food was excellent. The service was a bit slow and some of the furniture was wobbly. Very friendly though.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

It was quite empty when we went, but the staff were absolutely amazing and very helpful and could not have done any more to chat and be social :)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Recently enjoyed an excellent lunch with a colleague. Pleasant and discreet surroundings,menu interesting, staff knowledgeable, service quick and courteous and the food superb. In and out in under an hour which regrettably just what I asked for on the day. The perfect place to meet over lunch.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We recently moved to our pied a terre in York and in the evening decided to try the Cellar Bar /Bistro at The Grange Hotel - we were not disappointed! The service from a waiter who had only been in the Hotel a few weeks and in the Bistro a matter of days, was very attentive. The food was good, the ambience was excellent - they even turned down the music a bit! We shall certainly go again!