The Grand Hotel & Spa
Jorvik House(York)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
4,306 results
All reviewscedar courtmolton brown toiletriesturn down servicestar hotellip balmdoor staffclassic roomexecutive roomunderfloor heatingon arrivaloriginal featuressteam roomcontinental breakfastamazing hotelbeautiful buildingtrain stationbirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 August 2011

My friend and I stayed here on a theatre break as a treat for her 60th birthday. The hotel was absolute luxury to us definitely 5 stars! It is in a beautiful building and a lot of the original features have been kept which adds real interest to the place.
The room was enormous and had two lovely bathrooms and was very clean and smart. We had to rush at dinner, which was included in our break amazingly, to get to the theatre but what we had was absolutely delicious and definitely worth returning to have the full experience of dining in style there.
The pool and spa area are delightful, so relaxing and beautifully designed.
The staff were the friendliest I have ever come across in a posh hotel, so informative and helpful and not in any way condescending to us ordinary people as staff can sometimes be in a 5 star establishment.
The worst thing about the Cedar Court Grand, well having to leave of course!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of the Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the renovation work that has transformed the former North Eastern Railways HQ in to the luxury hotel it is today.

It's pleasing to read that you enjoyed your time in our Spa, located in the whisper quiet vaults of the building and also enjoyed you dinner in our Grill Room Restaurant.

Thank you especially for giving special mention to our team. Their passion and professionalism is a great asset to the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your comments to them.

On behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

We would highly recommend the Cedar Court Grand. We had a short, but thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing stay at this superb hotel and spa. Friendly, helpful and efficient staff, the rooms are very comfortable and spotlessly clean. We loved the spa and although we did not eat evening meal at the hotel, the breakfasts and afternoon tea were tasty and well cooked. Location is ideal, situated very close to town centre and many famous attractions. We will certainly be back

1  Thank JanetBob

Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted that that you enjoyed your visit throughout and in particular liked your afternoon tea and breakfast.

On behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future where I hope you will have the chance to visit our Spa & Grill Room Restaurant.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Cedar Grand for our 10th Wedding Anniversary (7th and 8th August). The hotel is indeed beautiful, comfortable and ideally situated for a vist to York. We had read so many good things on trip adviser that we were sure the stay would be fab. All started off well. However, on the 2nd evening, as we prepared to have showers/baths to head out for dinner reservations - we realised there was no hot water. I tried to phone reception but no answer so went down stairs to explain the situation. A quick apology and a short wait for a work man followed. The workman arrived and explained he thought the problem was more serious than he thought and would be back. When no one returned, I went to reception to explain we had dinner reservations for our anniversary (!) and were keen to shower and change. Again a quick apology and an assurance we would be phoned with an explanation shortly. After 40 minutes and no call, I went down again to be told that a water pipe had burst and the whole hotel was without hot water. Clearly, this was not the hotel's fault BUT the lack of apology or gesture at our inconvenience - especially given we had to cancel our dinner reservation on our anniversary (!) - which I explained to the receptionist, seemed a bit poor. Even the apology was short and swift. We ended up eating in a pub close by instead, wearing what we had been walking about in all day. We have stayed in far less grand hotels where some kind of gesture would have been made...a complimentary bottle of wine even if not room service? I realise not everyone would have been inconvenienced by what happended but we certainly were. A extremely lovely hotel indeed but didn't have that extra customer care we would have expected. Would probably stay somewhere else next time. L Young

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing out to the historical wall.
3  Thank Luisa Y

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I’m most disappointed that you left the hotel feeling “let down” and that you did not speak to one of our Duty Managers either at the time or on departure.

Our Front of House Manager Mr Thomas McGowan (Thomas.mcgowan@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk) has since spoken with you direct regarding your disappointing experience with us and I am led to believe that a mutually positive outcome has been reached.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we wish you a belated Happy Anniversary and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us on a future occasion where we will have an opportunity to make up for your disappointing 1st stay.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

Don,t have a gripe about the hotel as such everything was wonderful when we stayed only thing that miffed me was that they say on this site Yorks first five star hotel? But when I enquired with one of the staff I was told they had'nt got there stars yet? Bit cheeky I thought minor gripe Beleive the hype as everything they say is true a spectacular hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed for just the one night having beed to the races, we found every member of staff to be 5* they could not have been more helpful, polite and attentive nothing was to much trouble.
The room was faultless and of the highest standard in every aspect.
The location of the hotel is perfect close to the railway station and 2 mins walk from the minster and city centre.
We did not get chance to use the spa but I am sure that it would also be of an excellent standard.
The experience of staying at the hotel was totally relaxing, enjoyable and we will be returning in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of The Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout. Thank you also for giving special mention to our professional and friendly team and highlighting our great location and proximity to the city centre.

On behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us where of course I hope you have an opportunity to visit our spa, one of the many fantastic facilities the hotel has to offer.